Practicing techniques??

P

pineapple head

Please tell me something , its very hard to even think about doing any kind of technique in sparring , so what chance have you got in a real fight!!
Are we better to spend our time in a boxing ring?

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by pineapple head

Please tell me something , its very hard to even think about doing any kind of technique in sparring , so what chance have you got in a real fight!!

Pineapple ... Little Brother! You will get out of practice what you put in it.

:D

Dan

OP
R

Rainman

Beem me up Scotty:rolleyes:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

My suggestion is getting to class more often and quit talking about it. I use techniques all the time and it didn't come easy making them work, but geez, that's what practice is for huh?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

I use techniques all the time and it didn't come easy making them work.....
Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Were there any (techniques) that worked better than others (for you) specifically? Which (have you found) present an opportunity more often than others in your sparring?

Are the techniques you execute primarily from the beginner, intermediate or advanced charts? and how much of the actual technique do you actually get off?

Finally, did you get any insight from your instructor on this or did you just "get to class more often and quit talking about it..."

jb:asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Were there any (techniques) that worked better than others (for you) specifically? Which (have you found) present an opportunity more often than others in your sparring?

Are the techniques you execute primarily from the beginner, intermediate or advanced charts? and how much of the actual technique do you actually get off?

Finally, did you get any insight from your instructor on this or did you just "get to class more often and quit talking about it..."

Yes, there are techniques that work better than others while sparring and allows minimal devastation. Thundering Hammers, Dance of Death, Sleeper (I know, family related) work just about every time. Crossing Talon off a right backnuckle works wonders as well. the list goes on but those are the easy ones.

Both and all of the above from the latter question.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, there are techniques that work better than others while sparring and allows minimal devastation. Thundering Hammers, Dance of Death, Sleeper (I know, family related) work just about every time. Crossing Talon off a right backnuckle works wonders as well. the list goes on but those are the easy ones.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Good stuff,

I've actually had the sleeper done to me while sparring. It came out of no where and I said, "night, night"....It was an enlightening experience.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Firstly, sparring != real fight, so there's no much point in directly comparing the two, secondly, it depends who this 'real fight' is against doesn't it...

If you 'spar' or 'fight' against another martial artist then they'll be covered up and will block a lot of what you throw, but if you have a 'real fight' against some bloke in a pub or whatever he's likely to just throw committed and exaggerated punches and kicks that are a lot easier to work techniques off, especially if he's drunk!

So, IMO, whilst you're never going to get all of a technique off in sparring it's even more, not less likely that you will be able to in the street.

Having said that, you should take the ideas and principles from the techniques and build that into something that enables you to fight dynamically against a street opponent, adapting to them and moving with them, rather than getting into the 'hey, he's coming in with a left hook, here I go with my deadly Shielding Hammer moment...' frame of mind.

You might get a combination out of one technique off, and maybe graft it into something else or block and then throw a little combination out of the middle of another technique, but I shouldn't think you'll get the whole thing off.

That's talking about people facing each other though, if they grab you and give you a point of contact to work with then I don't see any reason why you can't pull off Lone Kimono or Crossing Talon etc. in their entirities if you wish.

Ian.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pick up Lee Wedlake's Further Insights into Kenpo: The Collective Articles of Lee Wedlake Jr. (shameless plug);) It addresses this issue in one of the articles:asian:

OP
J

jeffkyle

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Swinging Pendelum, Hugging Pendelum, Retreating Pendelum (more family related ;) ) work good as sparring applications as well.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle

Swinging Pendelum, Hugging Pendelum, Retreating Pendelum (more family related ;) ) work good as sparring applications as well.

Are you just referring to the downward blocking/parrying motion at the beginning of those techniques? I assume so, because you clearly can't attack the legs (knees) with any level of safety if your working in a sparring environment, and that's the next major strike.

Also on retreating pendelum, while sparring do you actually step back into a twist stance or do you shuffle out of range (only asking about this within a committed sparring environment)?

jb :asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

Pick up Lee Wedlake's Further Insights into Kenpo: The Collective Articles of Lee Wedlake Jr. (shameless plug);) It addresses this issue in one of the articles:asian:

Can you give us a synopsis of what it says on this topic or do we have to "buy the book"....

p.s. Also does it say which magazine, month & year the article originally appeared in? I may have it already.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Firstly, sparring != real fight, so there's no much point in directly comparing the two, secondly, it depends who this 'real fight' is against doesn't it...

I disagree, depending on how close you get your sparring to a stage of "aliveness" it can emulate a "fighting" environment. That's like saying there is no point in having a person throw a punch at you during practice because its not a "real" punch so there's no point in directly comparing the two:confused: very odd..

If you 'spar' or 'fight' against another martial artist then they'll be covered up and will block a lot of what you throw, but if you have a 'real fight' against some bloke in a pub or whatever he's likely to just throw committed and exaggerated punches and kicks that are a lot easier to work techniques off, especially if he's drunk!

I agree with the last part of this comment, but assuming a person that is "drunk" won't clean your clock is not smart.

So, IMO, whilst you're never going to get all of a technique off in sparring it's even more, not less likely that you will be able to in the street.

But there are people who are saying "they actually have DONE..." not they think so that's who we are asking...but I know where your coming and agree with much of your position.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Are you just referring to the downward blocking/parrying motion at the beginning of those techniques? I assume so, because you clearly can't attack the legs (knees) with any level of safety if your working in a sparring environment, and that's the next major strike.

Also on retreating pendelum, while sparring do you actually step back into a twist stance or do you shuffle out of range (only asking about this within a committed sparring environment)?

jb :asian:

You execute the kick, but it is more of a check/buckle to the back of the leg simply to keep your opponent's height zone checked, and keep them off balance as well.

If you are trying to do retreating pendelum you would step back into the twist, it may not be easy but it is possible. If you shuffled back instead you would be doing hugging pendelum, right?

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree, depending on how close you get your sparring to a stage of "aliveness" it can emulate a "fighting" environment. That's like saying there is no point in having a person throw a punch at you during practice because its not a "real" punch so there's no point in directly comparing the two very odd..

The thing is, if you're sparring against people it's usully going to be people you know, your friends, so you're not usually going to throw attacks with the intention of doing vast amounts of damage. This is going to alter the whole way you move, and coupled with the lack of adrenalyn (in a normal class session, rather than a competition or whatever) and a lack of urgency that comes from being in no real danger, the two just become very different entities.

You can compare them yes, but other that A versus B I think the similarities are that few that there's little to be gained from it, as I said before.

This doesn't mean that sparring isn't good practice for the street, of course it is, but that's different from saying 'if I can't get technique X off in sparring how can I hope to in the street' which was what the post was about.

If you practice golf at a driving range, and you can't hit out of it with a 5 iron, it's pretty fair to say you won't be able to hit that well with a 5 iron on the fairway either, because the swing is pretty much identical. I just don't think you can draw a similar parallel between using sparring as practice for a street fight.

Maybe that's clearer...ugh, i can't believe I used a golf analogy. I'm turning into my father :(

I agree with the last part of this comment, but assuming a person that is "drunk" won't clean your clock is not smart.

I never said they couldn't, I said that the movements of a drunk are more exaggerated and committed, which makes it easier to pull off a technique. The reason for this is that when people attack in technique practice they usually use slower and exaggerated moves, not unlike that of a drunk, and so it's what most people are used to.

But there are people who are saying "they actually have DONE..." not they think so that's who we are asking...but I know where your coming and agree with much of your position.

Well whenever a 'have you ever pulled off your kenpo in the street?' style thread (I've started them myself in the past) gets going the general consensus is that people coped, but didn't get a full technique off. I've only read 2 or 3 replies where people said 'yes, he did this and so i used so and so technique', I think the one that comes to mind was a guy in a mental ward who used raining lance against a screwdriver, can't think of any others.

Ian.

OP
P

pineapple head

My suggestion is getting to class more often and quit talking about it. I use techniques all the time and it didn't come easy making them work, but geez, that's what practice is for huh?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Clyde thaks for your advice but i train as much as my life allows me to. I spend my time "talking about it "so that i can gain some experience from you guys.
Thanks anyway.

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Clyde thaks for your advice but i train as much as my life allows me to. I spend my time "talking about it "so that i can gain some experience from you guys.
Thanks anyway.

I don't see how you can gain expereince from asking questions on a message board. I know that you can get advice, and obtain some useful information, but expereince? Don't you have to live it to experience it?

Curious...

Latest Discussions