School Pro's and whoa's

I'm afraid that I don't do the commercial school very well. Kind of like Clyde in some respects. I don't like to wus around, and it bothered me a number of times to teach someone just to keep the rent coming in.

I now teach out of my home... I finally got to a point where it just wasn't worth the battering that a commercial instructor has to take in the long run. I choose who I wish to teach, and how I wish to teach. Life is good. And I generally will take no one under age 14 or 15.

The last 15 year old student I accepted quit after 4 lessons. He came to me because he was the son of a friend of my youngest daughter. I accepted him based on that. He came from a TKD school, but didn't like it at my place because we didn't have mats down and the concrete was cold on his feet. (I keep the mats folded in the corner for when we need to do ground work). :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have to support dweebiness like that, and don't... Probably because I'm too old, too crusty, and too long in the arts to cater to the McDojo mentality.

I do not charge for my lessons. The students pay with their time and dedication. Once they have made the cut and are a full time student, they are free to go if they wish. I expect to have your full attention in class, and I think that is reasonable.

I also do not have the desire to teach full time. I have other interests that take up my time, as well.

Dan

Originally posted by Sigung86

I'm afraid that I don't do the commercial school very well. Kind of like Clyde in some respects. I don't like to wus around, and it bothered me a number of times to teach someone just to keep the rent coming in.

I now teach out of my home... I finally got to a point where it just wasn't worth the battering that a commercial instructor has to take in the long run. I choose who I wish to teach, and how I wish to teach. Life is good. And I generally will take no one under age 14 or 15.

The last 15 year old student I accepted quit after 4 lessons. He came to me because he was the son of a friend of my youngest daughter. I accepted him based on that. He came from a TKD school, but didn't like it at my place because we didn't have mats down and the concrete was cold on his feet. (I keep the mats folded in the corner for when we need to do ground work). :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have to support dweebiness like that, and don't... Probably because I'm too old, too crusty, and too long in the arts to cater to the McDojo mentality.

I do not charge for my lessons. The students pay with their time and dedication. Once they have made the cut and are a full time student, they are free to go if they wish. I expect to have your full attention in class, and I think that is reasonable.

I also do not have the desire to teach full time. I have other interests that take up my time, as well.

Dan

Will we see you in in Cincy by any chance?:confused:

'Fraid not Ricardo... Being unemployed ain't all bad, but it ain't all it's cracked up to be money-wise. Funny ... When I was working, I didn't really have time to travel at all... Now I don't seem to have the liquid capital required....:shrug:

Funny how life gets in the way sometimes.

Dan

Originally posted by kenpochip

Has anyone here been able to teach Kenpo as a full time job (over a long period of time)?

Chip

Brian Duffy has made a living solely off of his school since 1979. He just recently started working another job.

Brian Duffy has been working in the post office since about 1992. Prior to that he ran the school full time. He also is starting to play guitar semi-pro, with all that spare time he has.

I have always had to have a job to support my Karate habit. I make about as much at the school Tues / Thurs / Sat as I do in my state job (Hearing Analyst.) Of course with overhead it really is not that much, but I have people to work with, I do take kids 8 yo and up, but encourage the parents to attend the "Family Class." This keeps retention up.

I also taught for Mr. Duffy starting off, then out of my garage when I left Austin, then back to his school for a little while when I returned. Subsequently I went to World Gym for about a year and did a "Self-Defense" class. Finally had the opportunity to sub-let from a JKD Guru, Ray Parra and for the past 5 years have taught in the same facility, splitting time equally.

Hard row to hoe. Insurance, retirement, medical insurance, vacations .... there are a lot of things to consider opening your own school and operating successfully. Maintaining your enthusiasm over the decades, not for the Art, but for the students may be one of the hardest things. We all love Kenpo, but a lot of the truely BIG successful schools teach the McDonalds quick meal. They have to have the influx of new people to keep the school going. Comprimise to a marketable Art is considered paramount.

John Sepulveda was in this weekend and told us about a Kenpo instructor teaching Joon-Rhee Taekwondo for marketing purposes through green. Then he starts them on Kenpo. A huge success story, but one I do not have the time, energy, or interest in emulating.

Small does not always = quality, but if you are huge, quality control is one of the issues you have to address. Guess I will never have that worry.

So long as it is still fun guys, I guess I will keep on keepin' the Kenpo faith.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo

How about this,

what do you see as the best way to advertise your school? Newspaper ad, Yellow Pages, flyers, billboard, a booth at the mall? etc...

While I'm not planning to open a school in the near future. In several years I may want to, and it would be nice to have some good advice to lean on.

Hi Kenpo Yahoo,
I'm thinking if you want to know the best way to advertise your school (in the near future), the simple but effective way is to ask the members here in the MaratialTalk how do they find their schools or teachers. You will find many ideas from your NEXT post. ;)

Just a thought.
Min :asian:

Back