Scenario/Role play

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the reasons I joined the forum was to learn from other martial artists and share experiences ... I've never felt anyone came over as 'superior' quite the opposite in fact.

These are the reasons I joined this forum as well. After looking back at some of my past posts on this thread, I have to admit I didn't live up to what I should have. I did deserve a warning from the mods and admin for trying to rile up stabpunch, to everybody else here who have been following the foolishness on this thread, I do humbly apologize for not maintaining the standards of Martial Talk. It won't happen again.

Trust me, on other forums he's have been ripped to pieces not gently given good advice.

This is the road I was headed down. It just irked me that such good advice and comments, from well-meaning MA's were being just brushed aside as you would a common annoyance. It is something I have been working on and it seems I have a little further left on that journey :).

Thank you Tez for reminding me as well why this is the best Martial Art forum out in cyberspace.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the reasons I joined this forum as well. After looking back at some of my past posts on this thread, I have to admit I didn't live up to what I should have. I did deserve a warning from the mods and admin for trying to rile up stabpunch, to everybody else here who have been following the foolishness on this thread, I do humbly apologize for not maintaining the standards of Martial Talk. It won't happen again.

This is the road I was headed down. It just irked me that such good advice and comments, from well-meaning MA's were being just brushed aside as you would a common annoyance. It is something I have been working on and it seems I have a little further left on that journey :).

Thank you Tez for reminding me as well why this is the best Martial Art forum out in cyberspace.

Actually I didn't think you were that much out of line! I think it shows you have a passion for martial arts and passion is good! (A couple of sites I know would have just given one word answers to his posts usually beginning with w or c. Honestly!) I think your feelings were honest, I did share the frustration as what appeared to be arrogance was posted up but I guess we have to bite our tongues sometimes or whatever the computer equivalent is and remember what my mum used to say "it takes all sorts to make the world!"

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually I didn't think you were that much out of line!

Scott, as I've already indicated, I agree with Tez here. You were simply exhibiting the normal, probably unavoidable reaction to the experience summed up by our sticky :banghead:... and I defy anyone to blame you!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not going to let foolishness slide, and I'm not going to let somebody mis-quote me without setting the record straight and letting my thoughts be known. I do agree that I could do those things without resorting to calling somebody a troll (even if I think they are being one). That is what I am going to try and do better with. Letting things slide that are blatently ignorant isn't in my make-up and I don't expect that to change anytime soon, I do intend to change what I say and how I say it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Tact is the art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the journey" !!

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok I have a question for stabpunch. This slightly echoes something MJS asked too, and Im not sure he got a response yet.

If you decided to intervene in a domestic dispute, and your interference resulted in one of the people you were trying to "help" getting seriously injured or hurt, how would you handle it? Would you still feel morally justified?
I've seen this happen a couple of times. You see a couple rowing, maybe shouting at each other or hurling abuse. It looks bad, but its basically just noise, its not going to go anywhere. Just standard people in a relationship doing what they do.
Someone however, decides to intervene, and "protect the fair damsel" and gives out to or tries to stop the man. This escalates the situation.
There's usually three ways this will go.

1. The two of them turn on you and both attack you. Most common result. If you try to interfere in a domestic, usually everyone involved will turn on you.
2. The man will try and clobber you and the woman hangs back afraid. Congratulations, you just escalated a situation from shouting to violence. So we've got either you potentiall ending up in hospital or court, and all because you interfered when didn't need to. Common enough, but less so than the other.
3. The man clobbers you and then turns on the woman. He blames her for this whole mess, he's pissed off and she's a good target.
Congrats, you just got a woman beaten. Less common than the others, but it happens, Ive seen it once or twice.

So my question is, how would you react to possiblity number three?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shotgun Buddha,good post! I think the reason there was no answer to this question is that these are situations that couldn't be imagined! Well, most of us could but if you have a blind faith in your own abilities you can't imagine any of those situations happening. I have a vivid imagination and a fairly decent grasp of human behaviour so I can actually think of more scenarios developing. None of them good! I think you may wait a long time for an answer.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I have a question for stabpunch. This slightly echoes something MJS asked too, and Im not sure he got a response yet.

If you decided to intervene in a domestic dispute, and your interference resulted in one of the people you were trying to "help" getting seriously injured or hurt, how would you handle it? Would you still feel morally justified?

Then how do you feel when the injuried part turns around and SUES you BIG TIME...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My heart just had sympathy pains with my wallet. Unless someone is physically under direct threat, getting involved will either land you, or them in more trouble than is neccessary.

Yep...

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shotgun Buddha,good post! I think the reason there was no answer to this question is that these are situations that couldn't be imagined! Well, most of us could but if you have a blind faith in your own abilities you can't imagine any of those situations happening. I have a vivid imagination and a fairly decent grasp of human behaviour so I can actually think of more scenarios developing. None of them good! I think you may wait a long time for an answer.

I figure that too. I just don't get it, every time I decide to throw a curtain round my shoulders and wear it as a cape, and wear my undies on the outside, Im painfully aware of all the ways things could go wrong. And the chafing, that is also something Im painfully aware of.....
Anyway, Im curious, out of domestics you've witnessed, how many have actually gone properly physical? And I mean in the sense of actual under threat of severe injury, not a well thrown spatula to the head.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyway, Im curious, out of domestics you've witnessed, how many have actually gone properly physical? And I mean in the sense of actual under threat of severe injury, not a well thrown spatula to the head.

Speaking for myself, more than I care to remember..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd probably get called mainly in cases where its already getting out of hand right?
Not the ones that would just fizzle out themselves.
Im just trying to get a more accurate idea of how many go too far if you get me?

We get called to ALL Domestics disturbances..Thankfully many (unknown percentage) have fizzled out upon arrival..

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We get called to ALL Domestics disturbances..Thankfully many (unknown percentage) have fizzled out upon arrival..

Thanks, I was trying to get a clearer picture of how things worked over there.
Here in Ireland, or at least Navan the town Im from, response time to a domestic disturbance(or any kind of disturbance) tends to be about an hour or so, unless its to a business.
So its usually either fizzled out or blown up by the time there is any police intervention anyway.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The domestic situations I know most about aren't so much the marital type as the comradely type! We police the largest Garrison in Europe along with the local police and the Royal Military Police (who everyone hates bless them, they aren't actually police in that they only have military powers to deal with military personnel) We have several Regiments here along with vising troops ie Royal Marines, Paras etc so the potential for fights is huge, that's without the added complication of alcohol!
situations need careful handling sometimes to stop a full scale war breaking out.We also have civies winding up the squaddies. Never ever rush into a situation without sussing it out first, a lot of verbal scuffles will peter out without any damage being done or will be sorted peacefully out by mates.That's always the best solution, go in gungho and you will find that you will not only be facing the original combatants but all their mates too. This situations are best dealt with a smile on your face and a few jokey remarks, works wonders! Very rarely is violence needed and few get arrested anyway.
The funniest thing even though I shouldn't say this is when a couple of battalions from different regiments are fighting it out (sounds worse than it is, no weapons are used and it's quite gentlemanly really, no one gets much beyond a black eye or broken nose, no one is involved who shouldn't be there as it were!) and the Royal Military Police decide to be brave and go in and stop them. The fighting stops immediately the RMPs get out of their cars and proceed towards the squaddies, then the two sides who had been previously enemies dive on the redcaps lol! I think military and ex military will understand this!

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its a case of "yeah my brother and I get into fistfights...but you better not let me catch you picking on my brother."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a case of "yeah my brother and I get into fistfights...but you better not let me catch you picking on my brother."

Totally! It's also a sport picking on the redcaps, it has to be done lol! We do it too, they drive around in cars marked like police cars but they're not really so we do them for speeding!

Latest Discussions