Running away?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
about five years back, one of my students walking to her car from a formal office job (heels required) was grabbed in a hammer lock and pushed into a nearby alley.

she kicked the attacker in the groin so hard it broke the heel off her shoe. we're talking a 1" rise, 2" x 3" conservative, modest heel here. broke the heel clean off.

they found the dude in a nearby er. last we talked, she still had the shoe on her weapons rack.

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In Hakarac we train to be aggressive in flight as well as fight.
Stun and run.
Pick something up and throw it then run.
As mentioned in other posts the plan is not to panic but look for friends (surrogate weapons, third party).
So i guess the theory is stun:btg:and run :tantrum:making a whole bunch of noise then stun :whip:and keep running :CTF:

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely! When you run from a violent confrontation you can save two lives - yours and the other person's.

Silly Limey

White Belt
Reaction score
Not really... they teach us to pull back after a strike or a series of strikes, which I guess could help your reflexes...

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
the best thing to do run like a rabbit when elmer fudd is on his tail

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well teaching running is ok, but with attention.
If you take someone like me (kinda round shape) and I have in front of me someone slim, with running the result I will get is the other gets up (in case un send him down before running), runs after me and reaches me coz faster. Result? I will have to fight again but this time with heavy breath.

Every situation is different, thus saying: 1 Avoid 2 Run 3 Fight, might have to be taken very carefully.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
about five years back, one of my students walking to her car from a formal office job (heels required) was grabbed in a hammer lock and pushed into a nearby alley.

she kicked the attacker in the groin so hard it broke the heel off her shoe. we're talking a 1" rise, 2" x 3" conservative, modest heel here. broke the heel clean off.

they found the dude in a nearby er. last we talked, she still had the shoe on her weapons rack.

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
charyuop said:
Well teaching running is ok, but with attention.
If you take someone like me (kinda round shape) and I have in front of me someone slim, with running the result I will get is the other gets up (in case un send him down before running), runs after me and reaches me coz faster. Result? I will have to fight again but this time with heavy breath.

Every situation is different, thus saying: 1 Avoid 2 Run 3 Fight, might have to be taken very carefully.

A valid point. Instead of the 123 scenario you present, we look at it from a view point of

Detect diffuse defend.

Detect threat and avoid, you aren't even there (most of us have been doing this already for years with out training).

Diffuse confrontation, use the mind and words to diffuse a possible situation.

Defend, last resort.

In our training we use x factor, which can come in many forms. Two that are relevant here are the rock in shoe and liability (in the form of kick shield used to simulate a child). You can not run or move readily with the rock in your shoe. The shield means you can only use one arm and running is inefficient.

I agree it is impossible to cover every situation with one strategy. Although in my opinion awareness and avoidance are our best friends in terms of self preservation.

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
we are taught to put them to the ground, disable them if necessary, then run away as fast as possible.
Excessive confrontation is to be avoided at all costs.

Latest Discussions