Running away?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Does your class reminds you all the time and train using this method of martial arts, RUN AWAY!

We practice this when grab or trap...strike quickly to escape and run away! Do not stick around....travel all the way to Japan!

Our escape and control (the terms we use) methods all 10, is taught to you to strike and leave as soon as you can.

Many of us are not use to running away? (when possible off course).

This is a great self-defense method against knives and guns!

This should be taught to you over and over.....if a sitution starts to come up quickly................learn to live longer.

Japan Airline schedule is listed below? .............Aloha from Hawaii (ran home).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do.

The first rule of self-defense - don't get into a situation in which you need to defend yourself.

The second rule - run like the wind.

The third rule (only use if grabbed) - do whatever you need to do to make the attacker let go - then run - if possible, preferably do something that keeps them following you as you run.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach tun away to my selfdefence classes.
Kids need to learn this as well

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Avoidance first. Evasion next.

If the above fails, then you'd better fight to the best of your abilities, no holding back. If someone wants to take the time and energy to catch up to you, then you can pretty much assume that they mean you harm.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Does your class reminds you all the time and train using this method of martial arts, RUN AWAY!

Responsible schools emphasize this. Howerver, sparring practice can, IMO, unfortunately condition people to stay and fight and the Martial Artist has to be very wary of this. Of course I'm not saying don't spar, just that if you do a lot of sparring you need to pay extra attention to the concept of escape.

Good thread, as it's a great reminder to remember to RUN, when able, as the first and most important line of defence.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I agree with everyone! It also makes me think of the "culture" of "don't go out like a punk!" Which is in competition with running away. It seems to always be present. How many that were hurt or killed could've benefitted from the advice. I notice it at the workplace as well. Generally speaking, from what I see, running is usually not thought of, unless it's 1 on many. People are all too quick to "knucle up", and dont think of the consequences.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Responsible schools emphasize this. Howerver, sparring practice can, IMO, unfortunately condition people to stay and fight and the Martial Artist has to be very wary of this. Of course I'm not saying don't spar, just that if you do a lot of sparring you need to pay extra attention to the concept of escape.

Good thread, as it's a great reminder to remember to RUN, when able, as the first and most important line of defence.

:supcool: Exactly

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
It's a good reminder to be serious about conditioning. Running away only works if you can out run your attacker(s). If you can't, all you have accomplished is giving your back to them.

I agree with Hansword, but would like to add that I try to use the terms "try and get away" "get to safety" "make yourself safe" or something like.
Run Away may not be the best choice of action, sometimes it might be better to stay absolutely still and quiet.
So as always the situation dictates the action and an ad-hoc decsion should be made to suit the circumstances.
Rich

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"If you are ever in a place where you feel afraid, then RUN to a place where you feel safe."

That was something one of my professors told me during my first year in college. I've never regretted following his advice.

My school emphasizes running away as well. When my instructors demo a new technique, they show how to do the technique, and they often show opportunities for escape.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
"If you are ever in a place where you feel afraid, then RUN to a place where you feel safe."

That was something one of my professors told me during my first year in college. I've never regretted following his advice.

My school emphasizes running away as well. When my instructors demo a new technique, they show how to do the technique, and they often show opportunities for escape.

.. opportunities for escape.. thats a good term,...
...RUN to a place where you feel safe....the use of "run" or "running" may infer being hasty or even add further fear or panic to the situation, GETto safe place ASAP is probably what I would use.
I do know where everyone on this thread is coming from, maybe I am splitting hairs and we are really saying the same thing, but I dont think that run away is a good enough term to use in a what could be a life threatening situation.......but then again it could also be the exact thing to do!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
we teach that your goal in any confrontation is escape. it's not our job to punish bad guys, or to get revenge -- that's for cops and action movie stars. avoid the confrontation in the first place if you can, escape at first opportunity if you can't.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I've done it, more than once. Nike-jutsu. It works.

Is that what its called? Been practicing that discipline for years and never knew the name..Thanks

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chose your footwear wisely. Then your Nike jutsu will be most effective. Ladies; loose the high heels in the streets.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The best way to avoid being injured in a fight is not be involved in one. If possible, RUN.
Pax
Cujo

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Chose your footwear wisely. Then your Nike jutsu will be most effective. Ladies; loose the high heels in the streets.

Heels aren't that bad. Esp. the shoes in the style of Easy Spirit, Aerosoles, and the like. The heels with good padding on the inside and a rubber outsole can be quite effective to run in.

...even if one is just running for the train.

Personally, I avoid shoes that are not very secure around my feet. Open-back shoes (clogs, mules), sandals, anything that can easily fall off...running barefoot (esp. in the city) is something that I purposefully avoid.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cirdan said:

Good point. Glad to have you here on Martial Talk.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As lady_kaur pointed out - there are some excellent choices in women's footwear which have a modest heel which is rubberized yet doesn't look it. I have been opting for these.

I did *wince* wear one pair of stillettos recently and remembered a few reasons why I hate high heels.

Good thread! Run Fast Do! (actually I like Crane's Nike-Jutsu - that's funny!)

Latest Discussions