Sho Ten No Jutsu

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering who else out there works on "Sho Ten No Jutsu" (running up and over walls, trees, bodies etc). What kind of training methods do you use? How often do you train on it? At your dojo, at what point do you begin to practice this (ie after a year; 4th kyu; teacher's discression; student's choice etc)? Have you ever used Sho Ten No Jutsu to escape a bad situation?

Looking forward to reading your experiences!

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
AaronLucia said:
Iv'e been training for 3 months and i still haven't seen any of it yet. :p

Heh. I've been training for twenty years and go to Japan regularly, and there's plenty I still haven't seen yet.

A

AaronLucia

Which is why i love Ninjutsu, always something to learn!

A

AnimEdge

Sounds like Parkour or "Extream Running" :p ya know teh stuff you seen on that addis comertal of those british kids running and jumping across buildings and such, one you get teh roll down its basicly just practice

OP
Kizaru

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
Sounds like Parkour or "Extream Running" :p ya know teh stuff you seen on that addis comertal of those british kids running and jumping across buildings and such,
Where I live, we don't have Addidas commercials on TV, but I've seen a "Parkour" (sp?) clip on the internet before. Jackie Chan also applies the same kind of skill in the movie "Rush Hour" I believe, but he probably doesn't call it "Sho Ten No Jutsu". "Sho Ten No Jutsu" appears in a few of Hatsumi sensei's books as well as in a pre-WW2 published book, "Ninjutsu Gokui Hidensho". If anyone can find an "Extreme Running" clip they'd like to post here, please do.

If anyone would like to share training experiences, please feel free to post directly or PM me.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
our school/dojo/ryu does train in it but we just call it a "wall flip". i personally haven't done/trained in it. afraid i'll break my neck. i guess when the time is right to do so... i will.

peace

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
Sounds like Parkour or "Extream Running" :p ya know teh stuff you seen on that addis comertal of those british kids running and jumping across buildings and such, one you get teh roll down its basicly just practice

That's about right, I'd say.

Someone asked me whether shoten no jutsu was a skill we work on in my dojo. . .We have worked on it, but not for probably close to ten years, though there are some occasional applications in taijutsu vs. other people.

A

AnimEdge

Its generaly a side thing, its rather rural here, so driving around even looking for a place to practice parkour or whatever you call it finding a place is quite rare so we dont use it as much, but sometimes we pull out this like wall things (there stacked thingys those "step arobic" people use) and we do stuff over those but manly if you can run/jump/climn over it and know how to land it and roll(if needed) is the majority of what is needed

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
The kanji for "sho" means to "ascend" or "rise up." The other kanji is "ten" which means "heaven." Together it means "ascend to heaven."

About once a month I have my students practice shoten, which is one of our [Genbukan] kyu requirements.

The best method I've found is to have a board at a low angle and run all the way up. After, then adjust the angle higher. So on and so on, until you can run up a wall or tree. The important points (kuden - oral teachings) I will keep to myself since there are a lot of "wannabe's" who will use it for their "fake" ninja websites.

Some people don't know that this was practiced in Chinese MA. I will not say which MA it is, or the name of it, because of what I mentioned above.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
George Kohler said:
I will keep to myself since there are a lot of "wannabe's" who will use it for their "fake" ninja websites.

Some people don't know that this was practiced in Chinese MA. I will not say which MA it is, or the name of it, because of what I mentioned above.
george you apparently haven't been around awhile to see that this kinda attitude is prohibited here. if you don't want to post info then don't, but don't get the attitude that you have a secret you can't share. it doesn't make me no never mind because we are taught it in our school.
other then that... good info for beginning.
peace

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
Enson,

I don't know what you are talking about when you say that my attitude is prohibited, but I have been here for quite a while. Maybe not posting, but definitely been here. I been here since Dec 2001 and didn't even sign up until E-Budo was down this year.

I mentioned that there are other stuff (kuden) because I don't what to give the impression that running up a board at angles, or running up trees is the only thing it takes to do shoten. People who want to learn need to see a qualified instructor to learn.

The reason I will not share the information is because of an incident some years back on the Ninpo-L listserver (I think it was back 97 or 98), where someone took some information that was posted on the listserver and used it for their fake ninja ryu website claiming as their own. I think Kreth, Dale and Don would agree with me here that kuden should not be posted on the web.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
George Kohler said:
I think Kreth, Dale and Don would agree with me here that kuden should not be posted on the web.
Definitely. The fakes should have to work for their curriculum...

Jeff

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
George Kohler said:
Enson,

I don't know what you are talking about when you say that my attitude is prohibited, but I have been here for quite a while. Maybe not posting, but definitely been here. I been here since Dec 2001 and didn't even sign up until E-Budo was down this year.
george,
if there is one thing i have learned in my short time with this forum is... "if its not documented it never happened." " I think Kreth, Dale and Don would agree with me here." ;)

anyway i'm only stating that if you have something to say... say it. if you don't want to don't. but you shouldn't mention that you know something, start elaborating, and then say... well nothing. if you want to help, good. if not just don't wave your candy in the air singing, "i have a candy, i have a candy, you can't have it, because you are poor". (did that only happen to me growing up?)
i am in agreement when that you want to keep some things to yourself in your style. wouldn't want the "wannabes" (bujin) to still the genbu stuff! hee hee! sorry couldn't resist! ;) :lol: let them work for it!

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
Enson said:
george,
if there is one thing i have learned in my short time with this forum is... "if its not documented it never happened." " I think Kreth, Dale and Don would agree with me here."

Kuden (oral teachings) are not documented, but sometimes are hinted at in the densho. They are orally transmited from teacher to student when it is the right time.

Enson said:
anyway i'm only stating that if you have something to say... say it. if you don't want to don't. but you shouldn't mention that you know something, start elaborating, and then say... well nothing. if you want to help, good. if not just don't wave your candy in the air singing, "i have a candy, i have a candy, you can't have it, because you are poor". (did that only happen to me growing up?)

I did answer most of Kizaru's questions, which were:

1. I was wondering who else out there works on "Sho Ten No Jutsu" (running up and over walls, trees, bodies etc)?

***Just replying that I teach this to my students answered this question.

2. What kind of training methods do you use?

***Here was my answer:
The best method I've found is to have a board at a low angle and run all the way up. After, then adjust the angle higher. So on and so on, until you can run up a wall or tree.

3. How often do you train on it?

***Here was my answer:
About once a month I have my students practice shoten...

4. At your dojo, at what point do you begin to practice this (ie after a year; 4th kyu; teacher's discression; student's choice etc)?

***Here was my answer:
which is one of our [Genbukan] kyu requirements.

I said this vaguely. For one, all of my students do it. Number two, since all of my students do it, it is part of our mu-kyu (white belt level) along with all of our taihenjutsu (rolling, breakfalls, jumping, ect).

5. Have you ever used Sho Ten No Jutsu to escape a bad situation?

***Didn't answer this because I never used it to escape a bad situation.

I also added the meaning of the kanji so that when others read this post they will understand that it is not "Extreme Running," "wall flip," or "stacked thingys those 'step arobic' people use." It is not about wall flipping or any of the other things that were said. The body dynamics are totally different.

As for the Chinese method, if you research hard enough you will find that a famous baguazhang teacher learned this when he was a kid. He learned it from a family member before studying baguazhang. BTW, this has nothing to do with the Chinese ninja crap that you can read from books.

Enson said:
i am in agreement when that you want to keep some things to yourself in your style. wouldn't want the "wannabes" (bujin) to still the genbu stuff! hee hee! sorry couldn't resist! ;) :lol: let them work for it!

Sorry, but I would not consider bujinkan members as "wannabe's." I was once a member of the bujinkan for 10 years (that was 10 years ago), and I learned good stuff, including kuden. If they haven't learned the kuden for shoten yet, then I am sure that one day their teacher will explain it to them.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
George Kohler said:
Sorry, but I would not consider bujinkan members as "wannabe's." I was once a member of the bujinkan for 10 years (that was 10 years ago), and I learned good stuff, including kuden. If they haven't learned the kuden for shoten yet, then I am sure that one day their teacher will explain it to them.
george,
first off the wannabe comment from me was ment as a joke! (i.e. the laugh and the wink) lighten up a bit.

second, if you feel you answered the question then good for you. i was just trying to point something out. not trying to offend you in anyway.

peace

G

gumo9

Hello

Yep, done Shoten at my dojo quite a few times. There is a beam that runs from wall to wall about 14 ft above the floor and most of us can happily run up the wall and grab on to the beam. It took a couple of weeks of practice but as soon as one person managed to touch the beam, everyone else soon followed.

I tried following various "kuden" but actually found them to be counter productive in this case (possibly either my poor interpretation, or cynically, written by someone who can't actually do what they advocate !). The best way of doing it I found was simply to run up the wall and grab on to the beam.... in other words, just focus on your goal, then achieve it.

just my little contribution

Graham
Manchester, UK

By the way, Hi Don, howe ya doin' ?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enson said:
anyway i'm only stating that if you have something to say... say it. if you don't want to don't. but you shouldn't mention that you know something, start elaborating, and then say... well nothing.

I think that was set in place for people saying that they could prove something, but will not. Saying that there is more to the subject that you just do not want to get into on a public forum is a slightly different situation.

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hey guys i want to know what is standard height for completion of sho ten no jutsu? I try and use it on my garage (got no place in the house) and thats about ten or 9 feet off the ground plus on another scale im kinda scared jumping off that and doing a back flip (why try it in the air when you can't do it on the ground). O and how in the world could you get up a tree using that. A tree is alot different from any biulding so ya know that would be difficult to even get up to 9 feet. Just questions i got to ask.

OP
Kizaru

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ninhito said:
hey guys i want to know what is standard height for completion of sho ten no jutsu?
What does your instructor recommend?

I try and use it on my garage (got no place in the house) and thats about ten or 9 feet off the ground plus on another scale im kinda scared jumping off that and doing a back flip (why try it in the air when you can't do it on the ground). .
You could severely injure or even kill yourself when practicing or applying this. A competent instructor should be able to provide a safe environment for you to train in.

O and how in the world could you get up a tree using that. A tree is alot different from any biulding so ya know that would be difficult to even get up to 9 feet...
Your instructor could probably demonstrate better than anyone could explain in words here.

:asian:

Latest Discussions