Run away from no-mask people

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Kung Fu Wang, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Saheim

Saheim Green Belt

Yes, I am aware of her "order". Like I said, each county is choosing, for itself, whether or not they enforce it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Saheim

Saheim Green Belt

Actually, I'm not BUT I fit in right away. Definitely found the rest of "my people".:)

3. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

in the uk your sort of obliged to know where you are
    in the states they put up signs in 9 foot letters

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

I just borrow someone's comment in another forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People on here joke about covid anxiety, but my wife works in a hospital and people are still dying. In fact, I have several docs in the family, and they are all watching people get sick, die, or be left with lasting ill effects. It's just not worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

My concern is, why did the California government closed down the hiking trail if outdoor is safe?

6. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

coz its California

7. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

That's where I belong.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Saheim

Saheim Green Belt

Same here - My company (i have two jobs) sent all "non essential" employees home to work remotely. I am essential so I still had to come in, since the beginning. There are A LOT of "essentials" and we work in close proximity every day.

We take precautions (masks required if within 6', wipe down surfaces, etc) but have had a few "positives". Most were back to work in a short period of time saying they never really felt bad enough to call in (under pre covid conditions).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

It's good to be young. When we were young, we thought we were all supermen.

17 years ago, I went to Taipei, Taiwan during 2003 when SARS was in Taiwan. I walked on the Taipei street and could not see anybody. I went to a movie. There were only 2 other persons besides myself. I didn't know what happened there and I had no mask on. When I came back from Taiwan, I then realized there was a SARS in Taiwan. My manager was very nervous and worried I might brought SARS back into US.

Today when I look back, it's truly amazing that back in Taipei, Taiwan 2003, I could not see anybody on the most crowed movie theatre distract in Taipei (similar to the 5th Avenue in NYC). Those people in Taiwan did know how to protect themselves.

Here is how Xi Men Ding, Taipei, Taiwan looks like today. Back in 2003 SARS times, the entire street was empty. I don't believe this can happen in any city in US.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  10. Rat

Rat Master Black Belt

I have 2 for that one, for them going on death certificates.

I just need to reiterate for clarity thread wise, not everywhere has mandated you ave to wear it 24/7, most have only mandated it for indoor public areas and when you obviously arent eating etc. The only option is going to be just stay home/avoid contact at all until its over.

11. JP3

JP3 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
  12. Buka

Buka Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    A good friend of mine lost both his otherwise healthy parents to Covid in one week.
    A friend of mine lost her son.
    I've lost a few other people I know.

But I shall refrain from sharing my opinion about people who don't wear masks because I don't want to be banned from our forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jaeimseu

Jaeimseu 2nd Black Belt

14. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

From a personal safety perspective yes. But from a society perspective no. For example, it's your responsibility to stay away from me if I'm swinging swords around in public as I walk through the store. But from a public safety perspective. I shouldn't be swinging my swords like that because it presents a danger to the general public.

Public safety will always win over, Personal desires, which is what a mask really is. When people say that wearing a masks takes away their freedom, then simply ask what freedom does it take away? It takes a way a desire, but not a freedom. If you don't want to wear a mask, then don't be around other people. That way your desire doesn't become a public safety issue. If I want to walk around swinging my swords in public, then I shouldn't do it around other people in public.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

This is some clarification on the photo that Wang showed

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

That's sad. I bet you do have choice words.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    To your addendum - it shouldn't be about "have to". It's such an easy thing for anyone to do, unless they have really severe asthma or emphezema or such (in which case, they should be protecting themselves in every way they possibly can, as they are at very high risk). And while outdoors is usually less dangerous for transmission (air currents break up the "clouds" of virus people leave in the air, so there's no high concentration), that's only true in relatively sparsely populated areas. If 40 people are hanging around together outside, that has the potential to overcome that advantage (unless there's a strong wind).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    That's not at all what that study found. It wasn't even what that study examined. The completely misrepresented statistic is that roughly 85% of the subjects who tested postiive were mask wearers. Rougly 88% of those who tested negative were mask wearers.

But the science has long been clear that there's minimal (if any) self-protection from wearing a cloth mask. You wearing a mask is in case you are infected and don't know it (infected people are potentially infectious several days before they show significant symptoms), to reduce your chances of transmitting to the next person.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    The mask isn't primarily to protect the wearer. That folks with masks get COVID is not surprising. There's some evidence (and reasonable immunological models to explain it) that there's some small protection for the wearer with even cloth masks. But the real point is to prevent outward transmission. Like many diseases, an infected person has a period of time when they are infectious but not yet showing symptoms, so they are likely unaware of their infection. If they have a mask on, they reduce the chance of accidentally giving someone a potentially fatal disease. By just having a mask on, which really takes almost no effort.

And while passing a single person who is also moving about is unlikley to provide enough viral transmission, when you're somewhere where there are multiple people you're passing, statistics get involved. There will be instances where multiple infectious people are in the same relative area. If they aren't wearing masks, they leave a viral "cloud". With enough of them leaving some of that in the same area (as they pass through), there can be enough virus in the air for transmission. (As I understand it, we become "infected" when more virus enters our system than our system can deal with. Without a vaccine, for most of us that amount appears to be fairly small.)

As for the death rate being less than was expected....200,000 is more than enough for me. Just sayin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Why this simple reason is so difficult for people to understand?

You put on mask to protect others. Will that make you feel good and be proud of yourself?123

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 3