Struggling to keep things neutral....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This precaution probably killed my consulting/training company. But that's okay, because I and my clients are alive and well. It was the right decision. Higher death rates are bad for the economy, too. This was always going to be an economic train wreck, especially for small brick-and-mortar or in-person based businesses (like MA schools and my consultancy).
Especially if it's your customers that are getting sick and dying.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When the catastrophe doesn’t happen, it is BECAUSE of the precautions. You don’t conclude that since the catastrophe didn’t happen, the precautions were a waste.
I was surprised that there are so many people in the US that don't think this way.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a bridge I'd like to sell. And from the sound of this thread, I could probably sell it as a time share.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a bridge I'd like to sell. And from the sound of this thread, I could probably sell it as a time share.
That's OK.. Even if I bought your bridge I wouldn't be at risk of being sick because I bought it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve not heard anyone say there is no risk to staying closed. As I’ve pointed out, I’m a direct recipient of some of those risks.

Flying Crane outright did. Or at the very least, strongly insinuated as such. A lot of people have said there's basically no downside to knuckling under.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flying Crane outright did. Or at the very least, strongly insinuated as such. A lot of people have said there's basically no downside to knuckling under.
That is not true, and you know it.

Please show me where I said that. Back up your claim.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Call your opinion science, to make mine seem less valid. Even though my opinion comes from the doctors that I know and trust.

You call it science. It's politics. But calling it science makes it fact, and makes it easier to ignore all the other voices with a different opinion.
Guys, I have to agree with Skribs on this one.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guys, I have to agree with Skribs on this one.

This is a strange thread. I also find myself agreeing a lot with Jobo in this one. And I think I've been to Disneyland more times than I've agreed with him.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm ...baaaa.... interested! Do you ...baaaa... have a picture you can post? ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh it's not bad yet. We still have the fall and winter to look forward to. Not to make light of situation, but if this was a chart showing how many men were losing their privates as a result of the disease then people would take it more seriously. Just for a moment think of that as being the reality and you'll get this uneasy feeling lol.
upload_2020-6-16_22-26-52.png

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, all. I just spent a few hours visiting with my older brother. He's something of a repressed activist (he came of age in the late 60s). After a few hours of him carrying on, I just can't take these debates with the seriousness they may merit. Forgive me! :oops:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, all. I just spent a few hours visiting with my older brother. He's something of a repressed activist (he came of age in the late 60s). After a few hours of him carrying on, I just can't take these debates with the seriousness they may merit. Forgive me! :oops:
Forgiven.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, as long as we are throwing out crazy analogies, like Skribbs with his Japanese internment reference, Can I do one too? Wearing masks is like driving at 55!!!

Allow me to elucidate :D. If you choose not to wear a mask and hang out with your chums, then you all are taking a foolish, selfish risk that not only endangers yourself but others, right? So we would never something like that! Right?

Well, listen to this: I got my drivers license at age 16 probably around August of 1971. The speed limit on the interstate freeways at that time was 70 - 75 mph, and everybody went at least 80. I did a lot of driving for a young man. We had a summer place in Sun Valley, Idaho some 900 miles away, and I did a lot of the driving when we went back and forth. In stretches of Nevada I'd push the family station wagon to 90. It had a BIG engine. I also flew the route in a Cessna 182 a few times. That was significantly faster and more fun.

Anyway, a few years later in '73-'74, we had a national petroleum shortage called the "Arab oil embargo" ...anyone remember that? Gasoline was really tough to get. Prices skyrocketed, there were huge lines at the service stations, and many people couldn't even get gas. In the colder parts of the country, fuel oil for heating was rationed and people were not only cold, they were really upset ...even panicked. Like Covid, it was a life-changing national crisis. Belatedly, Congress acted with some mandated fuel conservation measures like dropping the speed limit on all interstates to 55 mph. Worse, because of the increased cost of insurance and aviation fuel, Dad sold his share of the Cessna. No more flying for me :(

Ever drive the length of Nevada at 55 mph. As a teenager? ...BORING!

Well, funny thing. we in the USA eventually got past the fuel shortages of the mid 70s, but they never restored the speed limit. The "authorities" analyzed the statistics and found that limiting the speed limit to 55 saved a lot of lives. Cars got safer, roads got better, but in spite of all that, we were to be forever limited to driving at 55 mph for our own good. And the good of others ...for the benefit of people in the other cars on the road. And for the little ones asleep in the back seat.

Remember! "55 Saves Lives!"

So, most of us in the wide open West said, "Heck with that!" People bought radar detectors, used CB radios to network and spot speed traps, and basically did everything they could to drive fast and get away with it! Finally, after more than 20 years, in 1995 the federal law was repealed and now the speed limits are back up to 70-75 mph, or even higher in some states. Most people where I live cruise the interstates between cities at around 80-85 mph. Now, you get where you want to go fast. Only one downside, when there is a wreck ...it's bad.

So how do I drive? Honestly? Too fast. Usually cruise up to Flag and back at about 80+ mph. No worries. DPS normally won't ticket you until you're going 10mph over. I used to work for DPS and my step sister's husband is currently a highway patrolman. Excuse me. New thing ...now they are "state troopers". Except we old timers hate that. Stick with "patrolman".

My point? It's all about human nature. We want to do what we want to do. It demonstrably saves lives, ours and the lives of others, if we act very responsibly, doing things like driving slowly, wearing seat-belts ...and in these times of Covid-19, wearing masks.

Well, wearing seat-belts is not too much of an inconvenience. Most of us use them. Driving at 55 ...around here, nobody does that. When it comes to Covid-19, it really isn't just about interpreting statistics. People are people. It's hard to predict what we will do. But unless a LOT of people close to us start dropping dead, I'll bet we mostly just look the other way, take off the masks, go about our daily business and take our chances. Not advocating anything. Just sharing my personal suspicion. :cool:

BTW- Just to show how little "statistics" really affect us, here are some pretty strong statistics about how many lives would be saved if we all drove at 55:
Long-Term Effects of Repealing the National Maximum Speed Limit in the United States

Think how many more we'd save if we just stayed home! Oh right. That's what we were doing all spring. My bad. :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions