Risking my life for TKD

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well folks, I will be putting my life on the line tomorrow, so just in case I get beheaded or dissolved in a vat of acid I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for being such great internet friends.

Our school, Team-X TKD, has a girl fighting tomorrow at Junior World's in Tijuana. http://usa-taekwondo.us/athletes/deireanne-morales and I just can't bring myself to not go and support her.

So in case I wind up as a casualty of the ongoing war between the federalies and the narco-trafficanties I just want you all to know that it has been a fun ride.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Firsth of all let me tell you things in Tijuana are not as unsafe as you think, if this wasn't true I think WTF would not allow Tijuana to be the city of the Championships.

The narc gang thing in my country is dificult yes, but there are cities that are dangerous like Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua but Tijuana is not too bad.

Take care of your self and avoid bad places and cantinas (bar) or discoteques in Tijuana and enjoy yourself in the championships and.... why not have some Margaritas in your hotel's bar or in a nice restaurante.

Manny

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agree with what Manny said. Tijuana is not a bad city. Right now it is Juarez (across from El Paso) that is the great concern.

Go and have fun :)

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In general I was being sarcastic. Still I will stay on the beaten path. I will not be staying in any hotel, nor will I drink any margaritas. They aren't on my diet. But then again, neither are the tacos but I am sure I will find at least 1 street taco vendor and indulge myself mmmmm.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mango.man best of luck and a safe return home, I will keep yopu and all the athletes and supportors in my prayers.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Hopefully we wont need them, but we will take them, just in case.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stay safe and good luck to the competitors and to you as well.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In general I was being sarcastic. Still I will stay on the beaten path. I will not be staying in any hotel, nor will I drink any margaritas. They aren't on my diet. But then again, neither are the tacos but I am sure I will find at least 1 street taco vendor and indulge myself mmmmm.

Hey Mango maybe if you need to you can use some of your TKD SD techs in some bad boys in Tijuana jejejejeje but if you see AK47 it's better to run and don't look back jajajajajaja.

Well let's try to be not so hilaryus, take care of your self my friend, enjoy the trip and I wish you luck with the girl is gona compete and please tell us how it was and tell us about the LA Just and Daedo electronic equipment used in the match.

Manny

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TJ's okay if you're not a pedestrian - those taxi drivers are inSANE!! ;)

Good luck to ye!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they let me in you should have no problems...

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I made it out alive with my family. We had a lot of fun and saw some really great fights and some not so good fights. As for our girl, well she didn't medal unfortunately. She had a 1st round bye so her first real fight was against a young lady from Great Britain. She really dominated the fight and came up with a great victory, 11-3. Next she went against a young lady from Guatemala. After the first 2 rounds she was up 1-0 but Guatemala was able to come back in the 3rd round and defeat our girl 3-1.

All in all though we had fun. I will post some video on youtube soon, but I will not let it stay up for long. I will post a link to it here when I do.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to add a prop for our girl, Deireanne. She is just 13 years old and in the last 3 weeks (US Open and Jr Worlds today) she has faced off against and beaten 14-17 year old fighters from Puerto Rico, Mexico, Dominican Republic, USA and Great Britain, while losing just 2 fights to Chinese Taipei and today Guatemala.

I am not sure it is possible to get much better experince than she has gotten recently. And next up for her, as well as my daughter, is a trip to compete in Russia next month.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just wanted to add a prop for our girl, Deireanne. She is just 13 years old and in the last 3 weeks (US Open and Jr Worlds today) she has faced off against and beaten 14-17 year old fighters from Puerto Rico, Mexico, Dominican Republic, USA and Great Britain, while losing just 2 fights to Chinese Taipei and today Guatemala.

I am not sure it is possible to get much better experince than she has gotten recently. And next up for her, as well as my daughter, is a trip to compete in Russia next month.

WOW!

Quiet a schedule!

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A fun packed schedule for sure.

Here is video I took yesterday of her fight against Great Britain. I am still working on the video vs Guatemala.

Here is Rd 1
Here is Rd 2
Here is Rd 3

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A fun packed schedule for sure.

Here is video I took yesterday of her fight against Great Britain. I am still working on the video vs Guatemala.

Here is Rd 1
Here is Rd 2
Here is Rd 3

Here is her Guatemala fight:
Here is Rd 1
Here is Rd 2
Here is Rd 3

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is her Guatemala fight:
Here is Rd 1
Here is Rd 2
Here is Rd 3

Tim should have been coaching. I think that we would get a better result if the person that got them there was coaching. She would have won. The correct adjustments were not made.

She is a real talent and so young!!!!

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tim should have been coaching. I think that we would get a better result if the person that got them there was coaching. She would have won. The correct adjustments were not made.

She is a real talent and so young!!!!

I can't argue with that. Maybe someday the kids will get to have their own coaches, but not today.

As it turned out the Puerto Rican girl that Deireanne beat in Vegas a few weeks ago, went on to win gold at Jr Worlds. Ahhh what could have been. Just goes to show that the better fighter on a particular day is the one who wins it all.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Watched the fight 3 times very frustrating. A few coaching adjustments and she wins. They need to do what is best for the athletes. Makes me want to scream!

Latest Discussions