My Personal Martial Journey: An Application of the Principles of War

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If one is ever attack? .....One should use whatever they can for a weapon to fight back with....pen, pencil, rocks ,sticks,car keys.....THERE is NO rules for a street fight.

To think only your fist? ,knees,elbows,feet ,head, is all you need ? Good Luck?

People that go hiking in bear country....know they cannot our run or fight a bear one on one! Many of the hikers carry pepper spray in the large cans. Why? the size of the bear and its muscle will rip any man apart. Pepper spray will make the bear run away.

How do you handle bears or larger/bigger people when fighting for your life? Use weapons? or go for tarkets than can give you a chance to survive.

I have notice smaller guys usually out runs the larger size people? NOT always? ................run forest run..........Aloha

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One more thing.....NO matter what your size, no matter larger your muscules....NO matter how tuff your are?

If you get tired before the other person....exhausted....and weaker? Out of breath? because you could not catch that person who is dodging, bobbing, weaving, moving away everytime you tried to get close?

Will size matter? If you are exhausted?

Principle of war? learn to make the enemy weaker...take the food and water away, make them stay awake all night on guard,learn to injury many attacker instead of killing them (takes more work to care for them).
MAKE THEM TIRED

Lions take on larger animals that could kill them.....they win by tiring out the larger animal.

.....All this is making me tried too.....good night.....and Aloha

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Kenpojujitysu? What happens when you get old? Will size matter when you are over 65 years old?

Principle of war is not all about MASS? and power? and Size?

Young people can win....and old people can win.....sometimes but using your brains? NOT muscles..........everyone has weakness....Aloha

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You believe fighting is the only answer? I believe there are other ways to win!

We're at a sticking point that you don't seem to get. I don't believe fighting is the only answer. The entire article is about how I train for WHEN it is time to fight. I grew up in Baltimore, MD, USA. My hometown is known for violence and homicide (we have unfortunately lead the nation in murders, aggravated assualts and other violent crime for years) and I spent much of my life in the worst parts. There are times where a fight IS HAPPENING or you will be hurt or killed, period. That's the harsh reality of some environments. All this talk about avoidance and other options is great...but, it is not always possible in the real world, period. Also all this talk about size being irrelevant is simple put, ridiculous. The bigger the adversary the better you have to be to best them. Anyone that doesn't know that hasn't been in any confrontations..that's common "street" knowledge.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, If one is ever attack? .....One should use whatever they can for a weapon to fight back with....pen, pencil, rocks ,sticks,car keys.....THERE is NO rules for a street fight.

To think only your fist? ,knees,elbows,feet ,head, is all you need ? Good Luck?

People that go hiking in bear country....know they cannot our run or fight a bear one on one! Many of the hikers carry pepper spray in the large cans. Why? the size of the bear and its muscle will rip any man apart. Pepper spray will make the bear run away.

How do you handle bears or larger/bigger people when fighting for your life? Use weapons? or go for tarkets than can give you a chance to survive.

I have notice smaller guys usually out runs the larger size people? NOT always? ................run forest run..........Aloha

What are you talking about? At what point did I mention rules and no weapons? and I also explicitly mentioned weapons of man made design..meaning rocks, sticks, guns, knives and other improvised weapons. You didn't even read the entire article it seems.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, One more thing.....NO matter what your size, no matter larger your muscules....NO matter how tuff your are?

If you get tired before the other person....exhausted....and weaker? Out of breath? because you could not catch that person who is dodging, bobbing, weaving, moving away everytime you tried to get close?

Will size matter? If you are exhausted?

Principle of war? learn to make the enemy weaker...take the food and water away, make them stay awake all night on guard,learn to injury many attacker instead of killing them (takes more work to care for them).
MAKE THEM TIRED

Lions take on larger animals that could kill them.....they win by tiring out the larger animal.

.....All this is making me tried too.....good night.....and Aloha

I already mentioned conditioning earlier, are you reading the posts you're replying to or just spamming this thread?

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Kenpojujitysu? What happens when you get old? Will size matter when you are over 65 years old?

Principle of war is not all about MASS? and power? and Size?

Young people can win....and old people can win.....sometimes but using your brains? NOT muscles..........everyone has weakness....Aloha

Read the whole article. Everything you keep bringing up like it's a grand revelation that I'm unaware of is addressed later in the article.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We're at a sticking point that you don't seem to get. I don't believe fighting is the only answer. The entire article is about how I train for WHEN it is time to fight. I grew up in Baltimore, MD, USA. My hometown is known for violence and homicide (we have unfortunately lead the nation in murders, aggravated assualts and other violent crime for years) and I spent much of my life in the worst parts. There are times where a fight IS HAPPENING or you will be hurt or killed, period. That's the harsh reality of some environments. All this talk about avoidance and other options is great...but, it is not always possible in the real world, period. Also all this talk about size being irrelevant is simple put, ridiculous. The bigger the adversary the better you have to be to best them. Anyone that doesn't know that hasn't been in any confrontations..that's common "street" knowledge.

If I recall correctly, Baltimore is so known for violence that the only TV show that has been in based in Baltimore in recent years is one called HOMICIDE!

Sorry...things were getting a bit angry and serious...

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Baltimore is so known for violence that the only TV show that has been in based in Baltimore in recent years is one called HOMICIDE!

Sorry...things were getting a bit angry and serious...

:rofl:

The sad part here is that some of the guys treat that as a badge of honor. I'm like, guys we're dying so much here the only show about our city is called homicide! and they call the place Baltimorgue and Bulletmore, Murderland.

"Baltimore - where the cost of living is going up and the chance of living is going down."

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Your journey is your own.....each look at martial arts training in different ways.

Each of us had many different experiences, and differ ways of growing up.

These are only MY opinions, and was hoping you would see things from another point of view? The good thing of this site is we can learn and share and differ in our comments and opinions

Aloha and Mahalo for the debate..........

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Your journey is your own.....each look at martial arts training in different ways.

Each of us had many different experiences, and differ ways of growing up.

These are only MY opinions, and was hoping you would see things from another point of view? The good thing of this site is we can learn and share and differ in our comments and opinions

Aloha and Mahalo for the debate..........

My issue...and yes I do have an issue...is that your "point of view" included many incorrect assumptions of what my "point of view" is that would have been clarified by you reading the entire article instead of keying on the 1st section alone.

Salute and all the best in your training.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I did reread what you wrote....I think I may have misunderstood some of the things?

OK... What you did talk about is NOTHING NEW...those idea's have been around for a long time.

Technques and tactic's you mention is for fighting....but a small part of the principle of war.

There are more people in this world who NEVER, ever got into a physcial fight. and won! ....many times.

Look in your own neighbor hood....I don't think everyone adult,mother,father,children,cousin,friends all NEEDED to fight physcial to suvivie in your home town. Why did many NOT need to fight? or fight back? Awarenes and Avoidance...being smarter and wiser!

Ego's and pride do get people into more fights.

I like the story of a Akido master in a bathroom and approach by a robber who want his money. The akido master knew he could hurt this person badly...instead he ask the robber " If you need money? I will loan to you?...the robber got confuse and walk out.

"Winning without physcial fighting."

How many of your fights could have ended another way? every situtions have many solutions....the wiser ones...will win without fighting and better yet get the other person to become his friend.

Most fights end up with some kind of revenge? hense the fighting nevers ends.

Why do many countries still fight/hate each? for wars that happen hundreds of years ago...like Greece and Turkey, and many others? Revenge and hate

Will the Iraq's and Iran like us now? or could have settle this another way? (people still believe "eye for eye")

Take the "eyes" away...one will not see the right things.

Before martial art training, I believe in fighting.....many of my Sensi's and Instructors taught me another way of looking at our training and it's purpose.

This is what I came to realize...martial arts is developing our bodies and mind to build confidence in oneself.

Thru this confidence one builds a humbleness, kindness ,honesty, trueful,caring person. We do not change over night and our self development does not make us perfect. Each person grows at his own rate. ....hense - STILL LEARNING.

Thru this NEW strenght....AWARENESS AND AVOIDING FIGHTS IS THE GOAL WE SHOULD TRY TO ACHEIVE!

We, including myself is NOT perfect: Winning without fighting is the best way to win.

Principle of wars.....is this the way?

Aloha<

PS: I know there will be times others will use force against us and we need to defend our selves. (this is not a perfect world.)

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Three things.

1) I never mentioned anything as being new, again you're assuming stuff instead of just reading what is there.

2) War IS the actual fight..whether it be through combat, attrition, etc. it is still the actual conflict...not the precursors or aftermath which is what you're posting about.

3) You're missing the point entirely about this being only about when there is a need to fight (not that there is always a need to fight) and still posting about morals and avoidance, as you have been. Let it go, I agree with your points about morals, avoidance, character, etc.....but....you're posting about about a completely seperate topic from the original post. How about starting a new thread on morals, avoidance and character building as a means to lessen the need to fight? I'll be happy to contribute.

salute.

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
James, did you crap in his bran flakes or something?
:toilclaw:

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
James, did you crap in his bran flakes or something?
:toilclaw:

Nah....apparently somewhere I posted that fighting is the first and only answer, the bigger guy always wins and that everything in my article is new revelations and the second coming of the bible. I'm just still trying to figure out where I posted it...because it clearly wasn't this thread.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Your right and I was reading between the lines and looking at what you were saying, and saw different things here. "I apologize."

In the principles of war? Could there be different levels of fighting?

Example: example if fighting someone, level 1 is to escape,walk or run away,

2: To control the person, hopefully NO gets hurt or injury? To stop the fight from going on and on.

3: To end the fight by destroying: injuries to other person(s), or end their life?
4: any combintions of these can happen in all levels.

Because it depends on who you are fighting?

Would you agree ...these are some of the principle of WAR?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello, Your right and I was reading between the lines and looking at what you were saying, and saw different things here. "I apologize."

In the principles of war? Could there be different levels of fighting?

Example: example if fighting someone, level 1 is to escape,walk or run away,

2: To control the person, hopefully NO gets hurt or injury? To stop the fight from going on and on.

3: To end the fight by destroying: injuries to other person(s), or end their life?
4: any combintions of these can happen in all levels.

Because it depends on who you are fighting?

Would you agree ...these are some of the principle of WAR?

While I would personally agree that what still learning lists are excellent examples of principles of personal combat (which is, in fact, a microcosm of war on the grander scale), the issue remains that the "Principles of War" are a specific set of 9 principles used by the United States military to train its leaders for visualizing the battlespace and conceptualizing their combat plans.

To add anything to this list would be the same as creating Heian Rokudan or Heian Shichidan...although the creator might have put alot of thought into the creation, to say that "They are Heian's aren't they?" would be just false.

I realize that if one doesn't practice the Heian series or even know about them, this argument just went straight to hell...

Latest Discussions