Reason for all the high kicks and ariel techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen them or you train, but again, I wouldn't take your word for it, because you have pretty limited experience, and therefore limited self awareness.

To your yellow belt eyes, perhaps.

Never said otherwise.

By your logic, the paralympics would not exist, parataekwondo would not exist, and every black belt would be able to execute every technique 100% correctly. This is patently not the case, particularly for lower dan grades.

It is an integral part of Taekwondo according to two other, rather more authoritative and credible sources: the Kukkiwon, and Choi's encyclopedia. The techniques we are discussing are demonstration techniques. It is absolutely not necessary to be able to perform them to reach a dan grade. They are part of the syllabus, but everybody's skills and abilities are different. These techniques exist to challenge the more talented among our number. Being a black belt is about reaching and developing your own potential, not about reaching some arbitrary standard that somebody else applies. People do fail gradings, but it is generally because it is clear to the examiner that they are not trying to perform to their potential. There is no universal standard for black belt. There are some techniques to be demonstrated, and then it's up to the examiner to decide if they have been performed to the best of the candidate's ability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They can't kick with their legs straight. It doesn't take Einstein to see that they are doing it incorrectly. They struggle. I happen to know how it should be done, since I have relatives in both Boxing and Karate at world class levels. I am the son of one of them.

Last edited:

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I
By your logic, the paralympics would not exist, parataekwondo would not exist, and every black belt would be able to execute every technique 100% correctly. This is patently not the case, particularly for lower dan grades.

Surely you understand that we judge disabled people by different criterias than non disabled.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Surely you understand that we judge disabled people by different criterias than non disabled.

Of course. And surely you understand that we judge a 50 year old, a 20 year old, and people with an invisible illness differently. You don't know what personal battle those people may be facing.

I am not suggesting that they are not fully fit, they may well be, but my point is you don't know what battle they have fought to get to where they are. Their instructor does, and they do. If your 8th dan instructor thinks they deserve it, then they deserve it, and you judging both instructor and student by saying what you are saying just makes you appear, well, arrogant and ignorant.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course. And surely you understand that we judge a 50 year old, a 20 year old, and people with an invisible illness differently. You don't know what personal battle those people may be facing.

What I am talking about ranges all from 16 years old to 40. These are happy, energetic people that would get mugged in a hurry - can't throw a punch or kick to save their life. I have no objections to their participation in training, but I do object to the awarding of black belts.

There should exist a standard, and if you don't reach it - train harder! I speak the truth and simply cannot tolerate to pretend as if it were different. The level is very low.

Can you imagine non disabled south and north koreans that can't throw a high kick, or extend their legs, awarded black belts? This is mcdojo. No getting around it.

Last edited:

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I am talking about ranges all from 16 years old to 40. These are happy, energetic people that would get mugged in a hurry - can't throw a punch or kick to save their life. I have no objections to their participation in training, but I do object to the awarding of black belts.

There should exist a standard, and if you don't reach it - train harder! I speak the truth and simply cannot tolerate to pretend as if it were different. The level is very low.

Can you imagine non disabled south and north koreans that can't throw a high kick, or extend their legs, awarded black belts? This is mcdojo. No getting around it.

Why don't you email your instructor that feedback directly?

If you don't agree with his ethics, why do you continue to train there?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you email your instructor that feedback directly?

If you don't agree with his ethics, why do you continue to train there?

Because I don't choose where I train based on ethics. McDojo and TKD is unavoidable in the west. Everybody knows this.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't need to imagine it. I see it first hand every day. It's got nothing to do with McDojangs. Lower Dan grades are not high ranks. They are very low ranks. It's possible to earn a 2nd Dan in two years. That's not a lot of time to fully develop skill. Instructors are looking at more than skill. They want to see effort and progress.

Perhaps you should dedicate more of your efforts into making your own progress and less toward criticizing your classmates and instructor until you've trained a decade or two or start producing your own students. I'm not trying to be insulting, just offering some friendly advice. Good luck with your training.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't need to imagine it. I see it first hand every day..

But have you seen blackbelts in Korea?

I
Perhaps you should dedicate more of your efforts into making your own progress and less toward criticizing your classmates and instructor until you've trained a decade or two or start producing your own students. I'm not trying to be insulting, just offering some friendly advice. Good luck with your training.

Oh, no, of course not ....Black belt is meant to denote a certain degree of skill. Anyone awarding someone that can't do basics, has simply not followed his/hers own teachings/preachings.

"Generally, a black belt is at least very proficient in a style's techniques" Martial Arts Black Belt History and Experts

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't agree with his ethics but you still train there. That must mean that one of the following is true:

You are satisfied with WHAT is being taught, just not how it is being tested.

OR

You believe that WHAT is taught is not important, because you believe you know better than your instructor.

OR

You are not satisfied with what is being taught or how it is tested, but you don't have the common sense to come in out of the rain.

If it is the first option, then get your head down and make yourself what you want to be, and maybe in a few years new yellow belts will have a positive role model.

If it is the second or third options, you need to do some serious thinking.

Have you talked about your views directly with your instructor? Because publicly criticising his club online could be viewed as rather unfitting behaviour for a Taekwondoin regardless of rank. There is more to Taekwondo than physical skill.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
But have you seen blackbelts in Korea?

Oh, no, of course not ....Black belt is meant to denote a certain degree of skill. Anyone awarding someone that can't do basics, has simply not followed his/hers own teachings.

"Generally, a black belt is at least very proficient in a style's techniques" Martial Arts Black Belt History and Experts
I teach black belts in Korea.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't need to imagine it. I see it first hand every day..
You don't agree with his ethics but you still train there. That must mean that one of the following is true:

You are satisfied with WHAT is being taught, just not how it is being tested.

OR

You believe that WHAT is taught is not important, because you believe you know better than your instructor.

OR

You are not satisfied with what is being taught or how it is tested, but you don't have the common sense to come in out of the rain.

If it is the first option, then get your head down and make yourself what you want to be, and maybe in a few years new yellow belts will have a positive role model.

If it is the second or third options, you need to do some serious thinking.

Have you talked about your views directly with your instructor? Because publicly criticising his club online could be viewed as rather unfitting behaviour for a Taekwondoin regardless of rank. There is more to Taekwondo than physical skill.

It is specifically prohibited to critize or question older master. I generelly dislike this cult-following, which martial arts often carry with them.

I don't know what you don't understand. There are no other schools nearby, and my instructor is more than qualified to teach.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you know they are fit?

Why assume otherwise? They can certainly jump and run perfectly fine. If such a person has not put in the time required in stretching and practice, he/she does not make the cut in my world. You see, In my world a black belt signifies something.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you think a perfectly fit practitioner, unable to perform basic kicks, is qualified for a black belt in Taekwondo?
What did they look like on day one and how do they look now in respect to that? If you don't know where they started, how can you make an accurate judgement?

There is no 100% objective grading standard in taekwondo. If there were, who's to say that you would make the cut? Or me? Or anyone else? Who decides where the bar is set? It's an individual thing.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is specifically prohibited to critize or question older master. I generelly dislike this cult-following, which martial arts often carry with them.

I don't know what you don't understand. There are no other schools nearby, and my instructor is more than qualified to teach.
I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning a teacher (respectfully). I don't have a problem with someone voicing a criticism of a teacher's methods. Maybe you prefer the way a different teacher teaches. But to come on here, give the teachers name, and say that his students are bad and that you are better than his black belts seems a bit over the line. Does your instructor know you are doing this?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
What did they look like on day one and how do they look now in respect to that? If you don't know where they started, how can you make an accurate judgement?

There is no 100% objective grading standard in taekwondo. If there were, who's to say that you would make the cut? Or me? Or anyone else? Who decides where the bar is set? It's an individual thing.

Has nothing to do with it. If you can't kick properly, you don't master the basics. Kicking properly entails full extension, not bent legs, when the technique calls for it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning a teacher (respectfully). I don't have a problem with someone voicing a criticism of a teacher's methods. Maybe you prefer the way a different teacher teaches. But to come on here, give the teachers name, and say that his students are bad and that you are better than his black belts seems a bit over the line. Does your instructor know you are doing this?

Dirty Dog asked for his name and he got it. Now you complain once he got it that I crossed the line. I also added that this is not unique for my club. I can say whatever I want. I don't think telling the truth is crossing the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.