Tough time with this move...

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Directly from the encyclopedia
"Reverse turning kick flying away from D"

Aka the jump reverse turning kick in juche

I have been just jumping up with both legs and doing the reverse turning kick. But today my instructor told me it needs to sorta scoot back as I jump. Kinda like an extra lil step. I can't find any videos of it being done this way. Only the basic jump and kick.

Hopefully this makes sense but does anyone know about scooting back before jumping (and ideally it's a quick motion)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have been just jumping up with both legs and doing the reverse turning kick. But today my instructor told me it needs to sorta scoot back as I jump. Kinda like an extra lil step. I can't find any videos of it being done this way. Only the basic jump and kick.

Hopefully this makes sense but does anyone know about scooting back before jumping (and ideally it's a quick motion)
He's telling you to stop counter balancing. It is ok to start body momentum toward your opponent.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ideal is to Jump with both feet at the same time. For good jumpers this works. For most mortals it is easier to do it like this. Example.: You are in a right L stance (right leg back) facing D. You will jump toward C turning clockwise while kicking with the right leg toward D. Start by pivoting / rotating on the right foot lifting the left leg knee ( bent) high as you can while still on the floor and as you have turned about 90 degrees then jump off the right foot and kick with it.
Simpler to show than explain. Hope this helps.

OP
T

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I've been doing so-so with jumping off both legs (but improving) so it threw me off even he told me the correct way was to move the front foot back about 4 inches before jumping. Kind of like a step back drag then jump. Doing it that way I'm now butchering the kick

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will butcher it for a while, as you adapt to the change.
I've always found it more difficult to make a small change than a major one.
The way our minds work, a major change is essentially leaning a new technique, which can be done fairly quickly. A small change causes the mind to fight against the desire to do it the 'old way', and we have to UNlearn that before we can learn the correction.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been butchering it for 20+ years:). In fact, I am now an expert in what I call "Old man's Ju Che". It basicaly is a grounded version of the aerial techniques which suits those with aged, broken and replaced leg parts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been butchering it for 20+ years:). In fact, I am now an expert in what I call "Old man's Ju Che". It basicaly is a grounded version of the aerial techniques which suits those with aged, broken and replaced leg parts.

Couldn't agree more. There are definitely kicks and combos that are more suited to the younger student.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

In ITF Chang Hon taekwondo, directions of the floor-pattern are given by letters of the alphabet (I believe that's the Juche pattern shown above). In Kukkiwon/WTF you're more likely to see the names Ga, Da, Na Ra for the poomsae directions. In ATA Songahm style, you'd see North, South, East and West, laid out of course around the Songahm Star (the name of the overall ATA floor pattern).

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
General Choi's text hsve the pattern begin facing D with C to the rear. A is to the performers Right and B to the left. More involved patterns have diagrams with more letters.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when your instructor says "it need to sorta scoot back as I jump." The directions are pretty clear that the kick is to be executed while flying away from the opponent. IIRC, there have been an edition or two of the encyclopedia that actually referred to the technique as a "Dodging Reverse Turning Kick," to give you a better explanation of what's going on. The kick doesn't just "scoot" back from D, you're up and off the ground moving in the opposite direction of the kick.

This is probably the most difficult technique in the pattern (the two-direction kick is no problem, in comparison, really). Whenever I notice I'm having trouble with this technique I try to go back and just spend some time working on the jump. Step "0" is to have a really good reverse turning kick. Step 1 is to practice jumping for height while you turn and repeatedly land in a proper stance. Step 2 is jumping and turning while moving backwards (I try to move about an L-Stance length, personally). Don't even worry about getting the kick off until you can nail the jump/turn/move back. That's advice for personal training, of course. When doing patterns in class put it all together. But working on putting the incremental parts together after proficiency in each has been gained will save you time and effort in the long run.

Good luck!

Pax,

Chris

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every time I read this thread I'm reminded of the red/bold-face quote below: :)

"One gift that Choi gave to North Koreans was a new pattern of moves that he called Ju-Che, which was the name of North Korea's ideology. He did this to jettison the Ko-Dang pattern, which had been the pseudonym of one of Choi's heros, Cho Man-sik, a Christian educator and an early North Korean leader until communists imprisoned him in 1946. Now that Choi's friends were those same communists, Ko-Dang had to go. Expunging it and creating Ju-Che was a sell-out to the communists, even though Choi argued that the change was not political. The term Ju-Che is nearly untranslatable in English: it means self-reliance and independence and, deeper, everything that makes Koreans Korean. As if to highlight this, Choi designed the Ju-Che pattern to be the most difficult out of the twenty-four, demanding a jumping split-kick and two techniques that were supposed to stop momentarily in mid-air, as if the attacker were floating. Today, in gyms and championships around the world, we yell, Ju-Che after the final technique of this pattern, saluting North Korea's ideology whether we like it or not."

Gillis, Alex (2008-11-20). A Killing Art: The Untold History of Tae Kwon Do (Kindle Locations 3244-3254). ECW Press.

OP
T

Tiger-eye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I agree with the need to jump away from D. I was confused since my instructor was trying to teach it a different way (a way not by the book). I'm on a level where they don't mind me pointing this out so I will ask them next week how this relates to the books explanation. They are book sticklers so I'm surprised by the way they are teaching it

Latest Discussions