Reason for all the high kicks and ariel techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know as well as I do, that I would get kicked out of the school if I did. Are you suggesting I be an idiot?
No, that is not what I am suggesting....

Just to be clear, I am suggesting that you have been both unwise and unfair in discussing it here.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, really? How many of these aerial kicks do you master, then?

-

I have never considered myself a great jumper, having "White man's disease" (You need to have seen the movie) However I will address your questions. Further, I would not claim to have "Mastered" much of anything.:

-tornado reverse side; . Provide a link. Terminology is non specific
-- flying reverse side; - Been there , done that with succesful destruction
-- assisted jumping roundhouse;--Provide a link. Terminology is non specific
-- 360- 540- 720 crescent and roundhouses, etc. 360 - Yes. Some terminology is BS. I only consider degree of rotation with both feet off the ground. Some people perform more than a full rotation in the air, but few if any perform 2 full rotations in the air. Links would be helpful
-- double jumping front kick - Been there , done that with succesful destruction, both feet same time 2 targets and alternating feet as well
-- flying scissors kick -Provide a link. Terminology is non specific
-- triple (or quad) flying front kick(s) - Triple as in alternating legs - yes. Single foot 3 times - No
-- flip-back double-jumping front kick. No back flips more me. Have had ITF students do this at my school.

And all this proves what?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That you are all being politically correct, as expected. Martial art techniques are not subjective in their delivery. 9 out of 10 young black belts don't have hip replacements. The objection offered simply doesn't cut it. I find it an utter disgrace to never reject black belt testers. I know TKD schools that do, and they have my respect. They care about more than money.

Politically correct? I don't understand what you mean by that.

"I find it an utter disgrace to never reject black belt testers" This sentence also makes little sense. A 'tester' is the person who tests the students, not the person who takes the test. There's no reason to 'reject' anyone who wants to test for a belt, you can and many, many do, fail students who do not do well enough in their grade testing. Not just in TKD but many other styles as well.

Martial arts should be for everyone who want do them, we as instructors should be enabling as many as possible to train. Very few people are without physical imperfections, some may have 'hidden' conditions such as diabetes, MS, asthma etc. Others may have something like hypermobility, ADHD, dyspraxia etc. I've taught people with all those conditions. A friend of mine teaches Judo to blind people, another has an instructor who only has one foot ( it maybe TKD I'll have to ask). We aren't about making 'perfect' martial artists we are about making people the best martial artists they can be. We have a separate class for those that want to be MMA fighters, pro or amateur but even they are trying to be the best they can be not the 'perfect' MMA fighter.

Come down off your high horse, it must be cold up there. Accept that people do their best and while it's good to have ideals, you have no right to criticise them because you are a beginner with no experience, no knowledge other than knowing something is 'correct' when you see it, well, sunshine, we can all do that. I can look at a Rembrandt and think well that's perfect, can I do it, can others, no they can't but that doesn't give me the right to criticise them for trying and for trying their best at that.

I have a T-shirt that says on the front 'STFU and train'... imagine I'm wearing it now.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did some judging with Sr Master Hutchinson in I think 1997 in Russia, and / or perhaps 2001 in Italy.

I can't see him not entertaining proper, respectful questions. It has now been some time since I saw him . Perhaps he will remember me. Send my regards.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is a relevant sample, every single posting regarding the difference, that ITFers are slower kickers and that WTFers knows and are more proficient at aerial kicking?
In both this thread and others on this site, plenty of very experienced TKD practitioners have made posts which do not back up that statement. Therefore it is not true that "every single posting" states that as the difference. In fact, I'm not sure that I've seen any other posts from our TKD practicing members (other than yourself) making that statement.

You don't find it embarrassing at all that I, a mere yellow belt, can execute techniques correctly and fast, while the black belts looks like beginners? We train against each other and when we switch turns kicking, it looks like I trained for ten years, and they started in august.

What I am talking about ranges all from 16 years old to 40. These are happy, energetic people that would get mugged in a hurry - can't throw a punch or kick to save their life.

I haven't seen your school, so I will offer no opinion on whether your perception is correct. I will ask this: if the majority of the senior students in your school have significantly less skill than you (a beginner) do, then why do you train there? If this is truly the case, then it would seem to indicate that your instructor does a very poor job of teaching and you will be unlikely to learn much of value. Why not go to some other school where you can tell that the students are successfully learning the material? If there are no good TKD schools in your area, why not pick a different martial art?

It is specifically prohibited to critize or question older master. I generelly dislike this cult-following, which martial arts often carry with them.

Is this an official rule or just an understood social norm? I don't care for it much either way, myself, but the former would really rub me the wrong way. I'm not a big fan of rigidly enforced social hierarchies.

That said, I am a big believer in being polite and respectful to everyone, regardless of rank. I'm also a believer in being aware of the limitations of my own knowledge and understanding. I think there's usually a respectful way to question ones instructor without presenting an attitude of "you're doing this all wrong."

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am suggesting that you have been both unwise and unfair in discussing it here.

So sue me. I can criticize whoever I want to. This is not North Korea. Blame the guy who challenged me and asked for his name. It was he and not me that decided to make it public, by challenging me to name the instructor, thinking I didn't have the balls to do it. He was misstaken.

In both this thread and others on this site, plenty of very experienced TKD practitioners have made posts which do not back up that statement. Therefore it is not true that "every single posting" states that as the difference. In fact, I'm not sure that I've seen any other posts from our TKD practicing members (other than yourself) making that statement.

I haven't seen your school, so I will offer no opinion on whether your perception is correct. I will ask this: if the majority of the senior students in your school have significantly less skill than you (a beginner) do, then why do you train there? If this is truly the case, then it would seem to indicate that your instructor does a very poor job of teaching and you will be unlikely to learn much of value. Why not go to some other school where you can tell that the students are successfully learning the material? If there are no good TKD schools in your area, why not pick a different martial art?

You are right in the sense that my eventual black belt will have no significance. I know already it doesn't take any skill in my school to get it, besides a pulse. I happen to like TKD, and don't seek to get my head smashed in with boxers and kickboxers, nor do I like Karate training.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So sue me. I can criticize whoever I want to. This is not North Korea. Blame the guy who challenged me and asked for his name. It was he and not me that decided to make it public, by challenging me to name the instructor, thinking I didn't have the balls to do it. He was misstaken.

Still, he baited you, and you bit, and that leaves you vulnerable, given that your instructor is pretty easily directly contactable via his website.

You are right in the sense that my eventual black belt will have no significance. I know already it doesn't take any skill in my school to get it, besides a pulse. I happen to like TKD, and don't seek to get my head smashed in with boxers and kickboxers, nor do I like Karate training.

I will be surprised if you make it that far.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Still, he baited you, and you bit, and that leaves you vulnerable, given that your instructor is pretty easily directly contactable via his website.

I don't care if a no lifer informs my instructor. I have far bigger problems in my life than where I train.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I happen to like TKD, and don't seek to get my head smashed in with boxers and kickboxers, nor do I like Karate training.

I see you know as much about boxing, kick boxing and karate as you do about TKD then.

You can of course criticise who you like but that doesn't make you correct, moral or even right.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see you know as much about boxing, kick boxing and karate as you do about TKD then.

You can of course criticise who you like but that doesn't make you correct, moral or even right.

I mean it's full contact sparring (eventually). I have no real interest in it. I am too pretty!

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I just can't grasp how someone can be so judgmental, opinionated and sure of himself from a position of such inexperience. I'd say it was the ignorance of youth, but I know plenty of younger people who don't behave that way. Bizarre.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I mean it's full contact sparring (eventually). I have no real interest in it. I am too pretty!

So you intend to reach black belt without ever sparring contact. Are you sure you actually do TKD?

What kind of black belt will you be then??

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just can't grasp how someone can be so judgmental, opinionated and sure of himself from a position of such inexperience. I'd say it was the ignorance of youth, but I know plenty of younger people who don't behave that way. Bizarre.

You haven't been to my class. You are the ignorant one. Again; I don't need to be able to do it, for me to ynderstand how' it's supposed to done (theory). Just as there are sports commentators that aren't actually capable of the sports their experts on. There is no conflict. I do know how to kick basic kicks at all heights, but it doesn't matter.

So you intend to reach black belt without ever sparring contact. Are you sure you actually do TKD?

What kind of black belt will you be then??

TKD is light contact. Barely any contact.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You haven't been to my class. You are the ignorant one. Again; I don't need to be able to do it, for me to ynderstand how' it's supposed to done (theory). Just as there are sports commentators that aren't actually capable of the sports their experts on. There is no conflict. I do know how to kick basic kicks at all heights, but it doesn't matter.

TKD is light contact. Barely any contact.

I'm not talking about technical or theoretical proficiency, I'm talking about your attitude.

If you think TKD is light contact, whether ITF or WTF, you clearly have zero experience. Talk to us after you've competed. Until then, I would avoid saying more as you are just digging yourself a bigger and bigger hole here.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not talking about technical or theoretical proficiency, I'm talking about your attitude.

If you think TKD is light contact, whether ITF or WTF, you clearly have zero experience. Talk to us after you've competed. Until then, I would avoid saying more as you are just digging yourself a bigger and bigger hole here.

ITF rule stipulations are defined as light contact. There are few ITF tournaments in eastern europe having full contact, that have absolutely no bearing on anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions