Reason for all the high kicks and ariel techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I imagine that telling the senior instructor that his black belts don't meet that standards expected by a low grade is a very good way to find out what the senior instructors striking standards are. :D I know what our senior instructor would say and do. I would be getting the ice packs out as soon as the first words started coming out of the low grades mouth.

Exactly. I would have greatly offended the instructor, and most likely get kicked out. Why ask a question you already know the answer to?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found that and a demo video from 1978 which I think is also from Master Yeo.
Personally, I don't see anything in this video that supports our paragon of perfections claim that the school is a McDojo. The techniques I see here are valid and effective and although they're being performed at practice speed, the execution is appropriate.

Lots of non specifically TKD techniques in there that I recognise, reminded me of a couple which is very useful. It looks a very good seminar I'd be very happy to attend. I'd be stuck on anything specifically TKD but I can't see anything as you say that marks it as a McDojo.What on earth is he expecting, flying Ninjas, disappearing through walls?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
And to our beloved moderator Dirty Dog: I ain't no prodigy. But I am the son of a karateka prodigy, who was once in the top 3.
Lots of non specifically TKD techniques in there that I recognise, reminded me of a couple which is very useful. It looks a very good seminar I'd be very happy to attend. I'd be stuck on anything specifically TKD but I can't see anything as you say that marks it as a McDojo.What on earth is he expecting, flying Ninjas, disappearing through walls?

He is of course legitimate. A fairly large portion of his black belts are not. My point is that he's too nice and that a black belt evidently means very little in our club. He cannot ask us to observe the higher ranks if they don't meet his standards. It simply doesn't make sense.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I would have greatly offended the instructor, and most likely get kicked out. Why ask a question you already know the answer to?

Really, you miss the point totally, I'll put it down to your ignorance of the English language shall I. In plainer English...you as a beginner...have totally no idea...of the standards expected of a black belt. You as a beginner...have not enough knowledge...to criticise...a senior instructor...you can ask questions if you don't understand you can query things...but you have no knowledge or experience that allows you to criticise a senior instructor.

I could criticise the way a heart surgeon operates on someone but my criticism has no validity because I am not a doctor or a nurse or even a medical practitioner in any field. You are barely a martial artist still, you have no validity when you criticise the senior instructor in his field.

Adding on the end to save another post. My mother was a very talented jeweller, I am not. Being the son of a talented parented doesn't mean you actually know or can do anything.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
These guys are technically legit black belts. How come none of them are disabled (!) and can kick accurately,. If I didn't know better it seems highly probable, given some of the lame excuses offered here.

I don't follow you. Is an ITF demo team supposed to be representative of normal black belts?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Really, you miss the point totally, I'll put it down to your ignorance of the English language shall I. In plainer English...you as a beginner...have totally no idea...of the standards expected of a black belt. You as a beginner...have not enough knowledge...to criticise...a senior instructor...you can ask questions if you don't understand you can query things...but you have no knowledge or experience that allows you to criticise a senior instructor.

I could criticise the way a heart surgeon operates on someone but my criticism has no validity because I am not a doctor or a nurse or even a medical practitioner in any field. You are barely a martial artist still, you have no validity when you criticise the senior instructor in his field.

I know how a proper kick looks like. Do want some youtube clips of my father?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't follow you. Is an ITF demo team supposed to be representative of normal black belts?

There is nothing magical about their turning kicks, or the height they reach. And it should be representative, yes. The acrobatics: No.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Full extention is not perfection. It's basics.

So are sentence structure, spelling and grammar, and yet we are tolerant of your errors given that we suspect you are not a native speaker of English. Why don't you afford similar tolerance to others?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
So are sentence structure, spelling and grammar, and yet we are tolerant of your errors given that we suspect you are not a native speaker of English. Why don't you afford similar tolerance to others?

Because I don't intend on graduating in English or being examined on it. That is however the case for aspiring black belts. It's an examination.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because I don't intend on graduating in English or being examined on it. That is however the case for aspiring black belts. It's an examination.
And yet you want to use the language to communicate in real life, and don't always do so effectively. Those black belts have passed the exam (you have not) and they don't (hopefully) intend to have to use Taekwondo in real life.

Sounds like glass houses and stones to me.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
And yet you want to use the language to communicate in real life, and don't always do so effectively. Those black belts have passed the exam (you have not) and they don't (hopefully) intend to have to use Taekwondo in real life.

Sounds like glass houses and stones to me.

I assume given your flawed logic, that you wouldn't mind a math teacher who couldn't count? I mean, you don't need to use advanced calculus in your every day life, who cares! Let's be nice and graduate them in math, simply for trying very hard.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can kick correctly, but it wouldnt matter if I couldn`t, since I am not a black belt.

Here's a word for you,' bollocks'. I have no idea what you think 'black belts' are. For me, kicks have to be effective, now whether they are technically perfect or not doesn't matter, they have to be workable and effective. I will tell you know that as a black belt ( and instructor) my kicks aren't 'correct' or perfect, in fact I've said elsewhere, for physiological reasons I can't do side kicks properly at all. What I do is teach effect kicks that do damage. I teach kicks that people can do as correctly as possible so they don't hurt themselves and so that they can be as effective as possible but those kicks can never be perfect. Demo teams are chosen from those who are young, fit and can do techniques that are aesthetically pleasing to watch and can demonstrate ( which is the point of a demo team) the more exciting, flashier parts of your style. They aren't the everyday, working martial arts that we do to be..and again that word...effective.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I assume given your flawed logic, that you wouldn't mind a math teacher who couldn't count? I mean, you don't need to use advanced calculus in your every day life, who cares! Let's be nice and graduate them in math, simply for trying very hard.

Your analogy is flawed. Mathematics has a right answer, martial arts competence is subjective, and is a journey rather than a destination.

I'll tell you what logic is flawed - the logic that leads you to think that your opinion on what constitutes a black belt carries any weight in what is effectively a room full of very experienced martial artists and black belts.

I don't see anyone agreeing with you here...hmm, what does that tell us?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your analogy is flawed. Mathematics has a right answer, martial arts competence is subjective, and is a journey rather than a destination.

I'll tell you what logic is flawed - the logic that leads you to think that your opinion on what constitutes a black belt carries any weight in what is effectively a room full of very experienced martial artists and black belts.

I don't see anyone agreeing with you here...hmm, what does that tell us?

That you are all being politically correct, as expected. Martial art techniques are not subjective in their delivery. 9 out of 10 young black belts don't have hip replacements. The objection offered simply doesn't cut it. I find it an utter disgrace to never reject black belt testers. I know TKD schools that do, and they have my respect. They care about more than money.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That you are all being politically correct, as expected.

Hah! It's political correctness gooone maaad. Please.
Martial art techniques are not subjective in their delivery. 9 out of 10 young black belts don't have hip replacements. The objection offered simply doesn't cut it.
Doesn't cut it for who? For you? Sorry, but your opinion as an examiner doesn't cut it until at least 4th dan, dear boy.
I find it an utter disgrace to never reject black belt testers.

I find it a disgrace to say something about an instructor in a public forum that you would not say to his face, but, you know.

We reject people all the time if they are not ready. We just don't set them up to fail. I suspect the same happens behind closed doors at your club - those who are not ready are not allowed to test. If that does happen, you as a lowly yellow belt would never know it.

That said, typical pass rate in the UK was about 60%. Here in Germany it is similar.
I know TKD schools that do, and they have my respect. They care about more than money.

Wow, they must feel honoured to have earned the respect of such an authority in the field of martial prowess.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find it a disgrace to say something about an instructor in a public forum that you would not say to his face, but, you know.

You know as well as I do that I would get kicked out of the school if I did. Are you suggesting I be an idiot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions