Puching with Technique vs punching hard vs punching push

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I stand corrected. The, "T" stands for foot. :) But, again, the focus is on kicking well. If you compare it to boxing, where the focus is on punching, well, you will begin to see a contrast.:)
Don't be afraid to explore the punching aspect of your system.;)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TKD has way more hand technique than foot technique in the technical repertoire. The balance of training in terms of foot/hand ratio varies depending on the intended outcome of training at the particular school.

Body shot to the intercostal muscles with protruding knuckle 'Bam Jumeok', 'chestnut fist' springs to mind as an example where the influence of technique is greater than that of power. Hello pain, goodbye breath.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XPl2OBWa20I/maxresdefault.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still different guys. They might have different tolerance to being punched.

I have to agree that we have a confounding variable in the comparison. If I punch two people, and one collapses while the other seems unfazed, there are two possibilities: 1) I didn't punch the first one as well, 2) the first one knows something about taking punches that the second doesn't. Both are factors.

I think JowGaWolf has a point about the difference between hard punches and good punches. I also am not sure the videos used definitively illustrate that. Even when we note the difference in techniques, we can't say for sure (except by using past knowledge) that the difference in technique is the variable controlling the difference in reaction.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm still healing from those punches that I took. It looks like it's going to take a month for me heal.

Anyan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I still have sensitive bruising about the size of a knuckle. I think the technique actually tears the muscles because the pain is limited to very small areas on my stomach muscle. It's not wide spread like bruising and it feels more like a cut than a bruise. I'm 43 years old so my healing time may be longer than people who are younger than me, but I can easily see it taking longer than a week to heal. The video was taken last Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016
I wish you a speedy recovery! (I have too, 43)

I'm currently teaching a student how to punch with technique. She has a habit of trying to always punch hard and only generating energy from her arms so I have her punching a tree to help her learn how to punch correctly by only focusing on the technique of punching. This way the tree punishes her for punching hard.
There are people that do not lend themselves to training)))
If a person does not realize that initially generated the energy to strike and only then transmitted to the opponent's body and does not understand that the attack does not by hand but the energy of the body, then such a person to do the martial arts there is nothing - you're just wasting your time on him

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If a person does not realize that initially generated the energy to strike and only then transmitted to the opponent's body and does not understand that the attack does not by hand but the energy of the body, then such a person to do the martial arts there is nothing - you're just wasting your time on him
I'm the fight instructor at my school. I'll teach her as long as she's willing to try to learn how to punch correctly. Only 3 or 4 people out of the entire school actually takes my class. Not everyone wants to learn kung fu to fight.

Anyan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm the fight instructor at my school. I'll teach her as long as she's willing to try to learn how to punch correctly. Only 3 or 4 people out of the entire school actually takes my class. Not everyone wants to learn kung fu to fight.
of course )))
can you show video with you trening? Me very interest it and I thing not only for me ;)

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
of course )))
can you show video with you trening? Me very interest it and I thing not only for me ;)
What type of training do you want to see? I'm can only show basic techniques that are common in other martial art systems. I'm not allowed to show training of Jow Ga techniques

Anyan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What type of training do you want to see? I'm can only show basic techniques that are common in other martial art systems. I'm not allowed to show training of Jow Ga techniques
:rolleyes::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: you is ninja! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not allowed to show training of Jow Ga techniques
A MA master told his student, "You have learned everything that I can teach you. Now try to pass these information down to as many people as you can."

The more seeds that you can spread, the more trees it will grow.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A MA master told his student, "You have learned everything that I can teach you. Now try to pass these information down to as many people as you can."

The more seeds that you can spread, the more trees it will grow.
It's not allowed by the rules set by the Jow Ga Association that my lineage belongs to. I'm not a Sifu, I'm an instructor so I can only teach what my Sifu approves of. If he doesn't think that I have the right understanding to teach something then I'm not allowed to teach it. If I go against my Sifu by teaching Jow Ga or showing Jow Ga training outside of his school then he'll stop training me and I'll be the one who loses out.

There are 2 people that do Jow Ga training videos. One is Ron Wheeler and the other is Chan Hing-Fai (DVD Southern Style Kung Fu)
I wouldn't learn from Ron Wheeler (he's not a sifu) and I don't know anything about Chan Hing-Fai. This is is school Bio (Instructors & Coaches)
This is Chan Hing-Fai

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note that he didn't say "we don't show" he said "I'm not allowed to show". In many associations, people not authorized at a certain level aren't allowed to show techniques outside the walls of the school. In my experience, this is not about secrecy (which many take it to be) but about making sure people aren't mis-taught. I have a similar restriction with students. I'll allow anyone who has passed the first self-defense set test to conduct "study groups", but they can only pass along the generic self-defense work, not the Classical Techniques. Later on, (after a much higher level of testing) they can start to share Classical Techniques in their study groups. This is simply because I've yet to see anyone without several years' experience who doesn't mis-teach those, causing learning problems for others.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just an update on my stomach. I think my stomach muscles have finally healed. I definitely won't be testing that punching technique on my stomach anymore. There's a hard kicking pad that I have. My next goal is to see if I can dig a knuckle size dent in that pad before the end of the month.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is amazing how easily we can get an injury with that kind of thing, isn't it? I hate when I get a bruise like that. When I have one, I end up getting tagged there pretty much every class by a passing elbow or something. Glad to hear you're healing up!

Latest Discussions