Warning Possible Trigger - I am wondering if the Stunt Coordinator is the fight coordinator

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
** Repeat possible trigger warning so read at your own discretion **

Green Room : Green Room (2015) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

I am wondering if the Stunt Coordinator is the fight coordinator
Kent W. Luttrell - IMDb

I see lots of weapons in the trailer and the now ubiquitous armbar. Just curious if the weapons work will be any good.

Thanks

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Trigger warning'?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Usually the Stunt Coordinator is the fight coordinator. By the time you get the Stunt Coordinator gig you've done a lot of film work (usually as a stunt player) and know how fight scenes are filmed. It has less to do with what real world fighting/self defense/fighting is and more on what looks good on camera to a general audience.

Sometimes a Fight Coordinator will bring in a particular stunt player(s) at the beginning of the project to help out if he's done a lot of film fights. It's not really creating a new job, it's just hiring a stunt guy(s).

It can also depend on budget. Big, union films (SAG) have been doing film work forever. Everybody knows everybody and a lot of guys have extensive work on fight scenes. If a film has a lot of fight scenes those guys are going to get the nod from the git go.

Movies like "The Hunted" (Tommy Lee Jones, Benicio Del Toro) that have a specific stunt need as a story line - in this case knife fighting - will bring in experts in that field to do the coordinating of those particular fights. Overseen by the Stunt Coordinator.

Low budget, independent, chop sockey or non-union films will take anyone they can get.....sometimes.

It also depends on location. The Coordinator will come from the director's say so but most of the stunt players will be hired locally.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Usually the Stunt Coordinator is the fight coordinator. By the time you get the Stunt Coordinator gig you've done a lot of film work (usually as a stunt player) and know how fight scenes are filmed. It has less to do with what real world fighting/self defense/fighting is and more on what looks good on camera to a general audience.

Sometimes a Fight Coordinator will bring in a particular stunt player(s) at the beginning of the project to help out if he's done a lot of film fights. It's not really creating a new job, it's just hiring a stunt guy(s).

It can also depend on budget. Big, union films (SAG) have been doing film work forever. Everybody knows everybody and a lot of guys have extensive work on fight scenes. If a film has a lot of fight scenes those guys are going to get the nod from the git go.

Movies like "The Hunted" (Tommy Lee Jones, Benicio Del Toro) that have a specific stunt need as a story line - in this case knife fighting - will bring in experts in that field to do the coordinating of those particular fights. Overseen by the Stunt Coordinator.

Low budget, independent, chop sockey or non-union films will take anyone they can get.....sometimes.

It also depends on location. The Coordinator will come from the director's say so but most of the stunt players will be hired locally.
I've got a couple of friends in the biz, one who is fairly recognizable. This info matches pretty close to what my friends have told me.

The dual role stunt/fight coordinator also matches what one friend in Theater stage combat told me. He also tells me that your "title" matters quite a lot. The right title means you get to go to the right planning meetings. But I don't remember which titles were which. I didn't talk a lot in this discussion. Ears open, mouth shut. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
'Trigger warning'?

Yeah, I'm baffled by the use of that term here, unless that link leads to some pictures showing some horrific thing.

If you're not familiar with the term, it's a warning that some people use to let readers or viewers know that the article/photo/video/etc they're about to see will contain something highly disturbing, such as graphic depictions or discussions of sexual assault or child abuse, that could trigger someone's PTSD if they have that issue. (Edit: Or sometimes it's used more broadly in the sense of "this is about something awful that will make you feel really terrible and could ruin your day".)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've got a couple of friends in the biz, one who is fairly recognizable. This info matches pretty close to what my friends have told me.

The dual role stunt/fight coordinator also matches what one friend in Theater stage combat told me. He also tells me that your "title" matters quite a lot. The right title means you get to go to the right planning meetings. But I don't remember which titles were which. I didn't talk a lot in this discussion. Ears open, mouth shut. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

You're right, Kirk, title does mean a lot. "Coordinator" means a much fatter paycheck. You get a salary plus the daily SAG rates. And sometimes that salary is considerable
The stunt coordinator is also sometimes the "Second Unit Director." Which means he shoots at the same time the Director is shooting with the main actors - he's just in a different place, coordinating and filming stunts, doing background shots and establishing shots etc. And that title of Second Unit Director.....means way more cash.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm baffled by the use of that term here, unless that link leads to some pictures showing some horrific thing.

If you're not familiar with the term, it's a warning that some people use to let readers or viewers know that the article/photo/video/etc they're about to see will contain something highly disturbing, such as graphic depictions or discussions of sexual assault or child abuse, that could trigger someone's PTSD if they have that issue. (Edit: Or sometimes it's used more broadly in the sense of "this is about something awful that will make you feel really terrible and could ruin your day".)

Cheers. an American term I assume? We just say 'contains disturbing scenes' if it does.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
^ this is the best definition of trigger warning I have seen so far

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
'Trigger warning'?

As stated below, it was to warn people who get upset over things. Such as the movie is about Neo Nazi's and those who fly the South Carolina Battle Flag also called Rebel Flag.

I did not want people to get upset. As I know some people do get upset with that content.

Another term for "spoiler alert" I guess.

Nope: See further discussion on the topic.

Yes the link leads to the IMDb site for the movie, which is about A sub culture that is a trigger for many people.

Cheers. an American term I assume? We just say 'contains disturbing scenes' if it does.

I did, it is not my responsibility to know what every person's dialect is. It is not my responsibility to cater to everyone. Just like it is not your responsibility to know what upsets people in New Guinea or here in the USA.

I did post it so that some who might take offense easily and for those who get upset, would know not to read it.

Yes, I liked this definition. I did not realize that what I thought was an obvious point of knowledge would need to be defined. Yet, I guess with multiple cultures, we all have our on phrases and terms that might mean different things to those cultures. So before taking offense , one should understand that realize that some people might not be on the same page. So I used Trigger Warning which is the proper term on the internet and also in Psychology here in the USA to warn people.

I guess I may have upset some by trying to let them know they might be upset. that was not might intent.

^ this is the best definition of trigger warning I have seen so far

Yes I liked it a lot as well.

Agreed, I do like that. :)
I am glad we agree that it was a good definition. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did, it is not my responsibility to know what every person's dialect is. It is not my responsibility to cater to everyone. Just like it is not your responsibility to know what upsets people in New Guinea or here in the USA.

I did post it so that some who might take offense easily and for those who get upset, would know not to read it.

I wasn't upset at all just didn't know what you meant. I've never seen 'trigger warning' being used before. It also has nothing to with 'dialect' that's something else, this is vernacular. If we don't know what people mean when they post it's hard to make sense of it. My comment about it being presumably an American expression was merely a placing of it, nothing to do with 'responsibility 'or 'catering to anyon, it was just an expression of interest in the etymology.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As stated below, it was to warn people who get upset over things. Such as the movie is about Neo Nazi's and those who fly the South Carolina Battle Flag also called Rebel Flag.

I think your meaning would've been clearer if you said something like "trigger warning for depiction of racist hate crimes". "Trigger warning" by itself is, I think, too vague to be informative; different people are sensitive to different things because we all have different formative experiences.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think your meaning would've been clearer if you said something like "trigger warning for depiction of racist hate crimes". "Trigger warning" by itself is, I think, too vague to be informative; different people are sensitive to different things because we all have different formative experiences.

Thank you both for your constructive feedback. I do hope if I ever offer my own to your posts, that it will be taken as well. :)

Latest Discussions