Promotion stanrdards (Split from Is it disrespectful to ask [...])

Trust me, we really don't care, it doesn't rub anyone but you up the wrong way. How do I know that? because you are going on and on and on about it. :rolleyes:

I have a quick question. Is the trouble with the term "test?" I get the impression that many schools call them tests when they are really "demonstrations." As I mentioned in other, similar threads, and earlier in this one, it all works better when everything is consistent. But as Tony points out, a disconnect between the "test" and the training is not uncommon. If it bothers you too much, just consider the "tests" to be a public demonstration/celebration of achievement that has already been vetted in training by the instructors.

That doesn't change the fact that people walk around as black belts with abilities corresponding to a green or blue belt at BEST. But like I said, it rubbed me the wrong way initially but not anymore.

That doesn't change the fact that people walk around as black belts with abilities corresponding to a green or blue belt at BEST. But like I said, it rubbed me the wrong way initially but not anymore.
I am coming into this late, so please forgive me if I'm rehashing things that have been said before.

What is your real concern? Is it that none of the black belts are meeting the school's standards? That some are and some aren't? That they aren't up to your own personal standards? Something else? When you say, "abilities corresponding to a green or blue belt," is that according to the school's standards or your own?

Trust me, we really don't care, it doesn't rub anyone but you up the wrong way. How do I know that? because you are going on and on and on about it. :rolleyes:

My heart cries for TaeKwonDo on the inside given the instructors credentials. What has become of this great art. On the outside I'm fine with it.

They should put me on a time machine to the 60s in South Korea when people lived TKD, there was no sport, no silly half assed boxing thrown in, and I would dedicate my life to it.

Hope I didn't make anyone cry from that account. I know it's touching.

My heart cries for TaeKwonDo on the inside given the instructors credentials. What has become of this great art. On the outside I'm fine with it.

They should put me on a time machine to the 60s in South Korea when people lived TKD, there was no sport, no silly half assed boxing thrown in, and I would dedicate my life to it.

Hope I didn't make anyone cry from that account. I know it's touching.

You're having a giraffe mate.

What difference does it make you knowing who it is? She was in good health and involved in other physical activities. And young, and perfectly capable of performing the forms. But not a simple break with a knife hand against a Mcdojo plastered board.
My point was she had nothing to do with the conversation, you just brought her in out of nowhere to prove a point anecdotally. But at this point there's no reason to go tonue wasting my time with this.

My point was she had nothing to do with the conversation, you just brought her in out of nowhere to prove a point anecdotally. But at this point there's no reason to go tonue wasting my time with this.

I was present at her grading, hearing her boyfriend in the crowd blaming the other students holding the board for her shortcomings. Pathetic.

I was present at her grading, hearing her boyfriend in the crowd blaming the other students holding the board, for her shortcomings. Pathetic.

You have issues.:wacky:

You have issues.:wacky:

Should I instead relay events that I was not present to? The boyfriend running his mouth in the background was incredibly rude, and passing the girl to black belt was a slap in the face to TaeKwonDo. Kinda like the icing on the cake.

From a president of the federation.

Should I instead relay events that I was not present to? The boyfriend running his mouth in the background was incredibly rude, and passing the girl to black belt was a slap in the face to TaeKwonDo. Kinda like the icing on the cake.

Or it could be sour grapes because you have an unrealistic high opinion of your abilities and feel you can judge someone when you don't know the circumstances. You say the boyfriend was running his mouth odd, someone else will say he wasn't. It is more than likely that someone didn't hold the board correctly (experts have said this is possible).

You've already told us everyone passes, it's that sort of test, you've even said you prefer lax ie rubbish tests and you will take a black belt for free so please stop kvetching and just train.

You've already told us everyone passes, it's that sort of test, you've even said you prefer lax ie rubbish tests and you will take a black belt for free so please stop kvetching and just train.

Yeah and I'm confident I would pass elsewhere as well. But the point is that I'm assured of getting it where I am right now, and that's actually comforting because I could get nervous and do some stuff wrong, which some Shotokan examiners maybe would have punished and asked for a retest in a few months. There is no risk of that.here

And thank you for that opinion too. :)

Edit: I'll expand in my thought here a bit.

My comment was in response to another member who, if I understand him correctly, feels that the test itself should determine the promotion, never mind the months and years of hard training. The test trumps all.

Well, in my school we don't test and we don't use belts. I could interpret his position as an insult to our approach to training, but i don't because I know different strokes for different folks.

I offered an alternative perspective. I do believe that belts are mostly a distraction and a waste, even though I have been ranked in two different systems that use them. My opinion is certainly influenced by those experiences. In my opinion, they very often get in the way.
Ah! That's a different statement. There are schools where belts are not tested for - they are simply given when the student reaches the necessary skill level in whatever is being looked for. In my program, a test is failable, but that's unlikely to happen. I decide when a student tests (they can say "no", and can ask to test), and don't suggest they test until I'm reasonably certain they have easily met the requirements for the test. The test is merely a chance to make sure I didn't miss anything. The belts simply represent a minimum point in the syllabus and a minimum skill level.

There is very little concern over belts. Occasionally a person misplaces a belt, and they simply wear their old white belt until they find it. A couple of times, that person has been me.

In a small school I feel it is easier for a student to develop a meaningful student-teacher relationship with the teacher, which can translate into better instruction. The teacher really knows the students progress and ability.

In a big school as you describe, a relationship with the instructional staff is not the same thing as a relationship with an instructor. Sounds like there is a real possibility for a student to have no real relationship with any instructor, and the staff as a whole might not have intimate understanding of any particular students progress without needing to consult the records. In my opinion, that is very much less-than-desireable arrangement.
My experience with a fairly large school was that each student still had a primary instructor. It wasn't usually the chief instructor, but there was still a reasonably close relationship with at least one (sometimes more than one) instructor over time.

See, that's a fallacy since I just infromed you that the training is of high intensity. The legit ones will always come through. Only difference is that people who should logically stay as yellow or green belts are promoted to black belts. That rubs you the wrong way initially, but now it's just a way of life for me.

Just thinking out loud.....

How do you know you are one of the legit and not one of the "should have stayed at green"?

Yeah and I'm confident I would pass elsewhere as well. But the point is that I'm assured of getting it where I am right now, and that's actually comforting because I could get nervous and do some stuff wrong, which some Shotokan examiners maybe would have punished and asked for a retest in a few months. There is no risk of that.here

I wouldn't pass you on principle, because you are lacking what was in the past called moral fibre.
To take the easy way out shows you have little self respect, you are happy being given a black belt rather than actually earn it. I hope when you get it that it gives you as much satisfaction as you think it will but I can also guarantee that it will not. Deep down you will know you are a fake. My advice, go and get a cup of man up, stop moaning on here about everything, go out and push yourself.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." Maya Angelou

Somehow, ever time you refer back to an incident, there's some new and more shocking detail that you never bothered to mention before.

That doesn't change the fact that people walk around as black belts with abilities corresponding to a green or blue belt at BEST.
Just curious: how do you define the ability of a "black belt", as opposed to that of a green or blue belt?

I hold black belt rank in 3 unrelated arts.

The first required showing up to classes and seminars for about 4 years and reaching a level of technical ability and understanding which I now (over 3 decades later) regard as pretty low. No formal test was required, the promotion was based on my teachers observation of how I moved in class.

The second took around the same length of time, but required a lot more physical exertion and sparring. There was a fairly demanding test.

The third took about 15 years of extremely hard work and study, including lots of sparring and getting my ego smashed like a bug on a regular basis. There was no formal test. The decision was based on my instructor watching me train, spar, and teach for years.

At which of these stages did I have the abilities of a "real" black belt?

Axiom, do you think that if your instructor read what you have posted here, that you would still pass that test? How 'lax' do you think he is?

I would think it unlikely, given that much of what you have posted here is in direct opposition to the tenets of the art you claim to love and understand.

I think it more likely that you would be asked to leave.

Just an observation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions

Back