Practicing techniques??

OP
P

pineapple head

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

I don't see how you can gain expereince from asking questions on a message board. I know that you can get advice, and obtain some useful information, but expereince? Don't you have to live it to experience it?

Curious...
:) True enough ....but i think you know what i mean.
Im trying as much as i can to live it.
Thanks.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is that information...

Tournament Tag vs. Street Survival byLee Wedlake Jr.

Published in Inside Kung Fu Magazine February 1985:asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by pineapple head

Clyde thaks for your advice but i train as much as my life allows me to. I spend my time "talking about it "so that i can gain some experience from you guys.
Thanks anyway.

Being as you don't have your experience listed on the profile (big hint to do so), I don't know what level you're working from so it's kinda hard to give you any advice other than what I did, at least your'e looking in the right direction.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
W

WilliamTLear

:) True enough ....but i think you know what i mean.
Im trying as much as i can to live it.
Thanks.

How often do you train? I usually get to Bryan Hawkins Kenpo Studio three times a week (Teusday, Thursday, & Saturday), not to mention a Sunday morning workout with Angelo Collado in the Park.

:asian:

OP
P

pineapple head

Well...with work , the kids and my beloved i manage 2 times per week.
I have a gym at work , which when i can i do something each morning.
You said you train in the park. Do people tend to watch you train and want to know more?:)

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Well...with work , the kids and my beloved i manage 2 times per week.
I have a gym at work , which when i can i do something each morning.
You said you train in the park. Do people tend to watch you train and want to know more?:)

It is a pretty secluded park, but yes people do have a tendency to watch and inquire from time to time. I enjoy working out in the park because it offers a significant change of environment. Could you imagine people sliding all over the wet grass while trying to hit that perfect stance... LOL

It's good that you get to work out at least two times a week... having a large space to work out in on your own time is always a plus too.

How long have you been studying Kenpo? What is your goal in Kenpo?

Until Later,
Billy

OP
J

jeffkyle

How often do you train? I usually get to Bryan Hawkins Kenpo Studio three times a week (Teusday, Thursday, & Saturday), not to mention a Sunday morning workout with Angelo Collado in the Park.

Those Sunday workouts sound cool! I wish i was alot closer so i could come workout with you guys! :)

OP
P

pineapple head

It is a pretty secluded park, but yes people do have a tendency to watch and inquire from time to time. I enjoy working out in the park because it offers a significant change of environment. Could you imagine people sliding all over the wet grass while trying to hit that perfect stance... LOL

It's good that you get to work out at least two times a week... having a large space to work out in on your own time is always a plus too.

How long have you been studying Kenpo? What is your goal in Kenpo?

Until Later,
Billy

Well , ive been in Kenpo (AKKI) for 2 and a half years now.
My goal ...to do the best i can possible to learn this fascinating art.
I find this forum really useful for tips and advice.

OP
T

Testdummy

In a real fight were the person doesn't know what to do it makes the chances higher to use the move because they don't know that it is coming. Then when you are out in the streets, you really don't care how much you hurt the person coming after you like you do in class. Then when you are in class your parter knows what you can do.;)

OP
S

sammy3170

Please tell me something , its very hard to even think about doing any kind of technique in sparring , so what chance have you got in a real fight!!
Are we better to spend our time in a boxing ring?

Sparring may give you some training in ranges and what can and cannot be used at various ranges however it in no way simulates a real life encounter. Have you ever seen two guys at a pub(bar) take a stance at bounce around trying to hit each other. If a practice partner throws an all out technique at you during regular training and using control the technique works then if the same happens on the street and you execute the technique at full power and speed then you can be pretty sure you will do ok. You only have to worry about the adrenal dump then and hopefully you don't turn in to a flinching, dribbling mess.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Testdummy

Then when you are out in the streets, you really don't care how much you hurt the person coming after you like you do in class.

Alex,

Even out in the street you SHOULD care how much damage you do.

We are legally and morally obliged to only use enough force to stop the attack.

And in this day and age, you don't need the lawsuit either.

Les

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

My suggestion is getting to class more often and quit talking about it. I use techniques all the time and it didn't come easy making them work, but geez, that's what practice is for huh?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I asked this question to Clyde a number or years back, when he was only A5thDeg. He mentioned that he had been using techniques in freestyle sparring and it was getting easier to pull them off.

Now he uses them all the time. And it did not come easy, as I am discovering. But the big discovery is this...I never pulled them off in freestyle until I began to TRY to pull them off in freestyle.

Dave

Latest Discussions