Power Generation

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, "boules". How they are commonly used doesn't affect the example given, as I didn't specify them being used in their common method.

Nope, I haven't said a thing about conservation of momentum. I've discussed transfer of energy, sine energy is what we started with. And I showed where you made a fundamental error in your assertion of disconnect. So, right on track, despite your efforts to divert it into a discussion of what type of ball/boule/bowl.

Since you're the one who started the issue of what type of ball, when it's not really relevant to the example given, I'll leave it up to you to get back on topic.
If we are discussing sphear s banging together then we are discussing concervation of momentum, or specificaly newtons first law

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are discussing sphear s banging together then we are discussing concervation of momentum, or specificaly newtons first law
We could discuss that. But that's not the only physics principle in evidence when two objects collide. Just because you really like that topic, and it's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of swinging balls, that doesn't mean it's the only thing we can use them for.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not the way I do it, but it's not a punch I'm well-trained in, so someone else might be able to produce more power with it.
When you have left side forward, if you punch your right hand

- without stepping in your right leg, you have boxing cross.
- and step in your right leg, you have step in punch (lung punch).

So the step in punch (lung punch) = cross + forward stepping.

In theory the step in punch should be able to generate more power. Since it cover more distance, it should also be more useful when your opponent is moving back.

In the

1. beginner level training (static punch) - you train your punch by borrowing the counter force from the ground, so your back foot is on the ground and not moving forward.
2. advance level training (running punch) - after your punch has borrowed the counter force from the ground, you step in your back leg to gain more distance when you punch.

Do you agree?

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you have left side forward, if you punch your right hand

- without stepping in your right leg, you have boxing cross.
- and step in your right leg, you have step in punch (lung punch).

So the step in punch (lung punch) = cross + forward stepping.

In theory the step in punch should be able to generate more power. Since it cover more distance, it should also be more useful when your opponent is moving back.

In the

1. beginner level training (static punch) - you train your punch by borrowing the counter force from the ground, so your back foot is on the ground and not moving forward.
2. advance level training (running punch) - after your punch has borrowed the counter force from the ground, you step in your back leg to gain more distance when you punch.

Do you agree?
It isn't actually a cross + step, though. The cross depends upon the pressure from the rear leg (as does the "walking punch" NGA teaches, which I first learned as a "reverse punch" in Karate many moons ago. When you are stepping with the same-side foot, you lose the pressure from that leg, so the power generation changes. It's not additive, it's different.

As for being useful when they move back, definitely. I move sometimes boxer-ish (same foot stays forward) and sometimes I switch up. When I enter and switch, it's often with that punch.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
....and it's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of swinging balls...
:eek:

...I really wish you had phrased that differently, Gerry. Unfortunately reading that, the first thing that comes to my mind is the strip bar scene from the movie Bad Grampa ...or what's hanging from the trailer hitches of about half the pickup trucks on this side of town.:confused:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Power. It's what's for dinner.

And maybe the punchee knows more about what power is than the puncher.

When he wakes up I'll ask him. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek:

...I really wish you had phrased that differently, Gerry. Unfortunately reading that, the first thing that comes to my mind is the strip bar scene from the movie Bad Grampa ...or what's hanging from the trailer hitches of about half the pickup trucks on this side of town.:confused:
I was going to make a witty retort, but literally everything I came up with sounded like I was trying to seduce you. So, I'll just laugh and walk away. :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was going to make a witty retort, but literally everything I came up with sounded like I was trying to seduce you. So, I'll just laugh and walk away. :D

So I'm cleaning the house and washing floors as I jump in here every few minutes. Just sat and grabbed the ice coffee as I read your post. Thanks. Now I have to wash the floor in front of the computer all over again. And my nose drips.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm cleaning the house and washing floors as I jump in here every few minutes. Just sat and grabbed the ice coffee as I read your post. Thanks. Now I have to wash the floor in front of the computer all over again. And my nose drips.
Fortunately, I put down my whiskey before reading that one. The dogs are disappointed, though.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It isn't actually a cross + step, though. The cross depends upon the pressure from the rear leg (as does the "walking punch" NGA teaches, ...
When you apply a cross, you borrow the counter force front the ground, you then lift up your back leg and step in. Since you have already borrowed the force from the ground, there is no need to keep your foot on the ground. The step forward is just like the runner takes off after the initial springing.

If we compare

1. boxing jab - step in leading leg, put body weight behind it.
2. boxing cross - step in leading leg, put body weight behind it, add body rotation.
3. step in punch - step in leading leg, put body weight behind it, add body rotation, and step in the back leg.

IMO, 3 > 2 > 1

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you apply a cross, you borrow the counter force front the ground, you then lift up your back leg and step in. Since you have already borrowed the force from the ground, there is no need to keep your foot on the ground. The step forward is just like the runner takes off after the initial springing.

If we compare

2. boxing cross - step in leading leg, put body weight behind it, add body rotation.
3. step in punch - step in leading leg, put body weight behind it, add body rotation, and step in the back leg.

IMO, 3 > 2 > 1
The mechanics of the rear straight (same as the cross to me, but I've been corrected on it by boxers) as I understand it is such that when the foot leaves the floor, the leg becomes a temporary counter-weight, offsetting forward momentum. It's not a springing forward, but a pressure to the ground. When you lift the leg, no more pressure. Even if it were a "jumping" motion, as soon as the feet leave the ground in a jump, deceleration starts. So, in either case, the leg leaving the ground ends the leg's input to the punch, and begins the deceleration from that. Anything that comes after can't just add to what was there, because the power already generated is in decline.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If we compare

IMO, 3 > 2 > 1
I'll add that the description you give of both 1 and 2 lacks some of the mechanics as I understand them. A jab can (doesn't always) include power from the body. The straight/cross uses the pressure of the back leg, in addition to the body weight. Either can be used with or without the forward step.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
as soon as the feet leave the ground in a jump, deceleration starts.
This is the part that we don't agree with each other. IMO, the acceleration continue after your back foot leave the ground.

superman-punch.jpg

superman-punch-3.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the part that we don't agree with each other. IMO, the acceleration continue after your back foot leave the ground.

superman-punch.jpg

superman-punch-3.jpg
Not the acceleration provided by that foot. That leg cannot provide acceleration when it's off the ground. The bit you quoted refers to jumping, and it's entirely accurate: when you jump, as soon as your feet leave the ground, you are decelerating.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Either can be used with or without the forward step.
If you don't need to step in to throw your punch, that mean you are already in your opponent's punching range. Your opponent's punch can also land on you without stepping forward.

Since I always stay outside of my opponent's punching range (or even kicking range), I always assume that I have to step in before I can reach my opponent. Also since my training always assume I will attack first, I will never assume my opponent will attack me first and close that distance for me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't need to step in to throw your punch, that mean you are already in your opponent's punching range. Your opponent's punch can also land on you without stepping forward.

Since I always stay outside of my opponent's punching range (or even kicking range), I always assume that I have to step in before I can reach my opponent. Also since my training always assume I will attack first, I will never assume my opponent will attack me first and close that distance for me.
Yes, that's exactly what it means. Or, it means they are entering. I usually play just outside their range, so if they step, I don't have to. I'm a better counter-attacker, so unless I'm going full-pressure, I'm likely to let their movement (whether it's attack or just changing angles) lead my attack.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We could discuss that. But that's not the only physics principle in evidence when two objects collide. Just because you really like that topic, and it's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of swinging balls, that doesn't mean it's the only thing we can use them for.
Right we seem to be getting some where WHICH scientfic principle are You invoking ? And expresely which fOrmular are you using for you claims ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope, mate. We're discussing martial arts. Science is part of the discussion. You just want people to only use the correct sciency words for you, even when another usage is FAR more common, especially in the context.
Martial arts are the science of Human kenetics, there isnt a seperate set of principals that goven ma, unless your invoking chi ! bowling balls and other inanamate objects have very little if any relivance to human movement,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right we seem to be getting some where WHICH scientfic principle are You invoking ? And expresely which fOrmular are you using for you claims ?
I didn't invoke any - they aren't incantations. I referred to two things (kinetic energy and force), after you commented on an error in units and tried to make it sound like that made the entire post incomprehensible (which, oddly, it seems to be only to you, so far as I can find).

Latest Discussions