Power Generation

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure, though you've absolutely and totally failed to point to the posts you refer to, I'll actually do that. Why? Because I actually have posts to refer to, and the claims you made about my posts are never going to be upheld by quoting one of my posts, so you won't serve your self-serving argument by posting anything I actually said.

That said, here's what I said (with a bonus quote of the post where I clarified it, since you purposely chose to not pay attention to the first one).
So ,, first the post i called tripe, only had one bowling ball in it, you in order to make it lEss tripE you have inckuded an additional ball and second, that a claim with Out any scientific principle to back it up,

So again what princple are you using yo claim they have rough eEquivalence, ?????

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why? if a person's lights turn out at a certain point then all you need to do is hit to that level of power with the jab. Everything else beyond that is irrelevant. If you get K.O. with a jab, then you know it was powerful enough. It need not knock your head off your shoulders. It's like trying to find out which car is more powerful. All of that is irrelevant if the car is hitting a person.

Now if you just want to see which has the most power then yes. Those other numbers would matter.

Different people's lights turn out at different points.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ,, first the post i called tripe, only had one bowling ball in it, you in order to make it lEss tripE you have inckuded an additional ball and second, that a claim with Out any scientific principle to back it up,

So again what princple are you using yo claim they have rough eEquivalence, ?????
Maybe just read the posts you were too lazy to look up, that I re-posted for you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe just read the posts you were too lazy to look up, that I re-posted for you.
Ive read them, id like you to prove yoyr claim they are roughly equivelent with some science , thats not an ubfair exspectation of someone who is making scietific claims, is it ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive read them, id like you to prove yoyr claim they are roughly equivelent with some science , thats not an ubfair exspectation of someone who is making scietific claims, is it ?
I provided a pretty simple explanation. You've not given any reason it doesn't demonstrate equivalence. So either you don't understand it (which I doubt) or you're just trolling for an argument by trying to get me to make more and more statements until you find something you can disagree with.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I provided a pretty simple explanation. You've not given any reason it doesn't demonstrate equivalence. So either you don't understand it (which I doubt) or you're just trolling for an argument by trying to get me to make more and more statements until you find something you can disagree with.
Your the one making claims, the burden of proof is yours, so either you have some scientific law and or a forumular to back up your claim or you dont, i conclude by your reluctance to give such that you dont , so the post is still tripe till you prove other wise

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your the one making claims, the burden of proof is yours, so either you have some scientific law and or a forumular to back up your claim or you dont, i conclude by your reluctance to give such that you dont , so the post is still tripe till you prove other wise
Nope. That's not how debate works. I put forth some evidence. If you don't think it suffices (an assertion on your part), then it's up to you to point out what about it isn't satisfactory. Until then, I can only assume you don't understand that simple explanation.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly, I cannot tell what he is doing.
- You have right leg forward.
- You use right hand to pull down your opponent's guard (or downward block his incoming punch) while step in your right leg.
- You then step in your left leg and left palm strike (or left punch) at his chest.
- Repeat the other side.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. That's not how debate works. I put forth some evidence. If you don't think it suffices (an assertion on your part), then it's up to you to point out what about it isn't satisfactory. Until then, I can only assume you don't understand that simple explanation.
You havebt given any evidence at all, just an opinion. Ive spent mutlple posts asking you to provieded evidence to back your opinion

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You havebt given any evidence at all, just an opinion. Ive spent mutlple posts asking you to provieded evidence to back your opinion
So, what you're saying is that you didn't understand the quite simple explanation provided, and you're not even clear on what about it you do not understand.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
- You have right leg forward.
- You use right hand to pull down your opponent's guard (or downward block his incoming punch) while step in your right leg.
- You then step in your left leg and left palm strike (or left punch) at his chest.
- Repeat the other side.

So, what is the maximum compression being discussed?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, what is the maximum compression being discussed?
When your right hand make a downward blocking, you extend your right hand forward as far as you can. At the same time you pull back your left shoulder as far as you can. When you can't "stretch" your body any more, you let your left punch to punch out as far as you can.

To pull your hand back before you punch out may not be a good idea, but this is just the training. The downward block can be a fake punch or guard pulling.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When your right hand make a downward blocking, you extend your right hand forward as far as you can. At the same time you pull back your left shoulder as far as you can. When you can't "stretch" your body any more, you let your left punch to punch out as far as you can.

To pull your hand back before you punch out may not be a good idea, but this is just the training. The downward block can be a fake punch or guard pulling.
Your description on paper sounds similar to our method, although I don’t see it happening in that video clip. We call it “waist turning”, getting full rotation with the torso. Agreed, it is a training method used to learn to be power from the rotation and is not meant to actually fight with the exaggerated movement

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
as soon as the feet leave the ground in a jump, deceleration starts.
Here is another example of compress (or stretch) and release. The back foot is sliding after the punch.

In the Baji system training, it's wrong if your back foot is

- sliding during the beginner training stage.
- not sliding during the advance training stage.

The feet sliding can clearly be seen in this form training.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you have left side forward, if you punch your right hand

- without stepping in your right leg, you have boxing cross.
- and step in your right leg, you have step in punch (lung punch).

So the step in punch (lung punch) = cross + forward stepping.

In theory the step in punch should be able to generate more power. Since it cover more distance, it should also be more useful when your opponent is moving back.

In the

1. beginner level training (static punch) - you train your punch by borrowing the counter force from the ground, so your back foot is on the ground and not moving forward.
2. advance level training (running punch) - after your punch has borrowed the counter force from the ground, you step in your back leg to gain more distance when you punch.

Do you agree?
Yes, if you are stepping into your punch (lunge) the fact that there is much more mass in motion should mean more power. In reality however there are so many things involved in the transfer of that mass that should, but not always, equate to added power. In other words technique. If you roll two balls of different weights toward a target, all things being equal, the heavier ball will create more impact energy. If the heavier ball strays or slows, the lighter ball may make the greater impact. So, while your very broad statement has some truth, it is easy to quickly peel back just a few layers and see where it can easily error. Again, it comes down to technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is another example of compress (or stretch) and release. The back foot is sliding after the punch.

That's interesting - a different approach than I've seen in other forms. What's the training purpose of the standing stomps that happen between some strikes?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's interesting - a different approach than I've seen in other forms. What's the training purpose of the standing stomps that happen between some strikes?
The stomps remind the beginner that all force comes from the ground. You have to borrow the counter force from the ground before you can transfer it through your leg, hip, ... Whether or not this kind of stomp training is still needed during the advance level training, it was a big debate between the Taiwan Baji system and the China Baji system.

- The stomp can act as a distraction. I stomp, you look down, I punch your face.
- It works very well when you apply a head lock on your opponent. All you will need is that 1/4 second that your opponent looks down and forgets about his head.
- When you apply a wrist lock on your opponent with the stomp, you can shock his head big time.
- The foot stomp is used along with shaking.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I really enjoyed watching that. I’ve always loved the Forms that have stomps in them.

Brings back some great memories.

Latest Discussions