Power Generation

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well yes, power is work done divieded by time, so if the shorter punch does half the work in a third of the time its more powerful

Are you purposefully ignoring the content of the post to make fun of people's vocabulary?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, if he is talking abiut kinetic energy of a bowling ball, then acceleratipn has nothing to do with it, if he is talking about the force appkied to a bowling ball then distance has nothing to do with it, either wzy what he is saying is tripe x2 and bowling balls only work ad a comparator of a punch if you can take your hand off and throw it at them, so triple tripe

And in what way are they roughly equivelent, ? they are apples and oranges
I already explained how they are roughly equivalent - kinetic energy converts to force when it is dissipated/transferred to a target. Bowling ball with kinetic energy strikes another bowling ball, exerting force (roughly equivalent to the kinetic energy it had) upon the second bowling ball. Second ball (assuming it is not too large, nor anchored) will now have new kinetic energy roughly equivalent to the force it received, minus any opposing factors (friction, elasticity, gravity, etc.).

And, yes, actually, accelleration does have something to do with kinetic energy, when you consider the entire sequence. It is accelerated to a given velocity (at which point it has kinetic energy based upon that velocity, mass, etc.). And force applied over time (which, in this case, is related to the distance available for acceleration) provides the acceleration that produces the velocity that's the variable (in the example) for the kinetic energy.

So, yeah, related.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I already explained how they are roughly equivalent - kinetic energy converts to force when it is dissipated/transferred to a target. Bowling ball with kinetic energy strikes another bowling ball, exerting force (roughly equivalent to the kinetic energy it had) upon the second bowling ball. Second ball (assuming it is not too large, nor anchored) will now have new kinetic energy roughly equivalent to the force it received, minus any opposing factors (friction, elasticity, gravity, etc.).

And, yes, actually, accelleration does have something to do with kinetic energy, when you consider the entire sequence. It is accelerated to a given velocity (at which point it has kinetic energy based upon that velocity, mass, etc.). And force applied over time (which, in this case, is related to the distance available for acceleration) provides the acceleration that produces the velocity that's the variable (in the example) for the kinetic energy.

So, yeah, related.
Are we talking about ten pin bowling ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well thats true of bowling balls, but not of punches, because the other possibly more important factor is the mass, which are fixed on a ball, but not on your body, which can generate efextive mass in excess of your body weight, which i think is what the op was getting at, before you told him that bowling proved him wrong
While that's part of what I see in the picture, it's not what the OP suggests. He refers to compression and time as primary factors for this type of power generation.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't matter, now does it? Any bowling ball will follow the same physics.
Well ten pins dont normally hit other balls, nor do they accelerate from the moment they leave yor hand

If we are discussong crown green bowls they are not sphears so have their own physics and bouls are thrown so thats more ballistics

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...If we are discussong crown green bowls they are not sphears so have their own physics and bouls are thrown so thats more ballistics

Ididn't even know such a thing existed! So I looked it up and found:
3254E75B-D636-6575-D1ACC3405FB5DC4D.jpg

Who woulda' guessed it? They really do have Pokeballs in the UK!

pokeballs_yet_more_models_by_bioniclegahlok.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
science mate, i thought thats what we were discussing ?
Nope, mate. We're discussing martial arts. Science is part of the discussion. You just want people to only use the correct sciency words for you, even when another usage is FAR more common, especially in the context.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ten pins dont normally hit other balls, nor do they accelerate from the moment they leave yor hand
They do, if you use them to describe an interaction between two tenpin balls. We could use any other two objects with relatively low elasticity/deformation if it makes it easier for you. How about a pair of solid titanium spheres?

If we are discussong crown green bowls they are not sphears so have their own physics and bouls are thrown so thats more ballistics
Not even sure what those are. I haven't referred to bowls or bouls, whichever it is. Their lack of sphericity only matters insofar as it changes the modifiers I mentioned, which alter the amount of energy transmitted.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They do, if you use them to describe an interaction between two tenpin balls. We could use any other two objects with relatively low elasticity/deformation if it makes it easier for you. How about a pair of solid titanium spheres?

Not even sure what those are. I haven't referred to bowls or bouls, whichever it is. Their lack of sphericity only matters insofar as it changes the modifiers I mentioned, which alter the amount of energy transmitted.
Bouls are sphears but are thrown usually by french men, bowls are rolled, common on a green with a crown on it, so they decelerate and then accelerate again and are aimed at but rarely hit other bowls, whivh is why i asked,

Anyway you seem to have strayed off in to concervation of momentum, which is yet another formular, when you actually decieded what type of bowls and scientific principle we are discussing let me know

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But once a car has reached 100 MPH, does it matter if it took 1 foot or 1 mile to get to that speed? If it crashes at 100 MPH, it crashes at 100 MPH.
You assume car A can reach to maximum speed with shorter distance than car B can. I'm talking about if car A need 20 ft to reach to maximum speed, when car A drives less than 20 ft, car A hasn't reached to top speed yet.

Most boxing coaches wiil tell you if your fist is moving more than 6 inches you are doing it wrong.(for hooks and uppercuts at least.)
But we all know that more people are knocked down by cross than jab, why?

Can anybody put up a clip to prove that "inch punch" ever work in the ring?

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bouls are sphears but are thrown usually by french men, bowls are rolled, common on a green with a crown on it, so they decelerate and then accelerate again and are aimed at but rarely hit other bowls, whivh is why i asked,
Ah, "boules". How they are commonly used doesn't affect the example given, as I didn't specify them being used in their common method.

Anyway you seem to have strayed off in to concervation of momentum, which is yet another formular,
Nope, I haven't said a thing about conservation of momentum. I've discussed transfer of energy, sine energy is what we started with. And I showed where you made a fundamental error in your assertion of disconnect. So, right on track, despite your efforts to divert it into a discussion of what type of ball/boule/bowl.

when you actually decieded what type of bowls and scientific principle we are discussing let me know
Since you're the one who started the issue of what type of ball, when it's not really relevant to the example given, I'll leave it up to you to get back on topic.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But we all know that more people are knocked down by cross than jab, why?
Most crosses are thrown with more of the body mechanics. Many jabs are not - they are used for controlling space and creating openings for the rear hand, which is usually the stronger hand.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most crosses are thrown with more of the body mechanics. Many jabs are not - they are used for controlling space and creating openings for the rear hand, which is usually the stronger hand.
Do you call this jab, or cross?

- He is punching leading hand.
- But his leading hand comes from the back hand.
- He is using the body weight behind his punch.

IMO, this punch is no different from the boxing cross. He just steps in his back leg when he punch his cross.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you call this jab, or cross?

- He is punching leading hand.
- But his leading hand comes from the back hand.
- He is using the body weight behind his punch.

IMO, this punch is no different from the boxing cross. He just steps in his back leg when he punch his cross.

I don't use boxing terminology enough to decide which to call that. I'd call it a lunge punch.

Latest Discussions