Power Generation

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is another example of compress (or stretch) and release. The back foot is sliding after the punch.

In the Baji system training, it's wrong if your back foot is

- sliding during the beginner training stage.
- not sliding during the advance training stage.

The feet sliding can clearly be seen in this form training.

Ok, I can see what you are referring to here. I still don’t understand why it is called compression, but no matter.

This is a good example of something I have mentioned in the past: the same principle may be found in different systems, yet it manifests in very different ways. That is in line with what I say about having consistency in the training methodology and why mixing elements of different systems does not work well when it violates the consistency.

In this example, the concept is the same as in my system, but the manifestation is completely different. They look nothing alike.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I can see what you are referring to here. I still don’t understand why it is called compression, but no matter.

This is a good example of something I have mentioned in the past: the same principle may be found in different systems, yet it manifests in very different ways. That is in line with what I say about having consistency in the training methodology and why mixing elements of different systems does not work well when it violates the consistency.

In this example, the concept is the same as in my system, but the manifestation is completely different. They look nothing alike.
This is what I was getting at in one of our prior discussions, FC. When I find an entirely different approach to something, it usually leads me to much better understand the one I already do. I've found some tidbits from a golf swing coach that helped me better grasp some principles I use in grappling (like delaying movement of one part of the body to create tension to better deliver power from another part). People see things differently - approach them differently - and that seems to make it easier for some of us to gather insight from cross-training even when it seems to conflict, and maybe makes us need it more, too.

I've been working to better understand how individuals learn and process those principles, because each approach seems to have different strengths.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why it is called compression, but no matter.
The human body is like 3 springs.

- Without training, each spring is compressed and released individually.
- With training, all 3 springs can be compressed at the same time and released at the same time.

This is where the term compression come from.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions