Possession

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Was looking through my photo album and came a cross my very first dojo's business card and school prayer. It was Kajukenbo that got me started in my martial arts training back in 1980, making the card and school prayer 23 years old:eek: .

So what are some of the oldest items you possess from the start of your journey?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still have my old Tang Soo Do dobok which I still put to use when I visit my old dojang in NJ. I also saved my belts and certs from TSD. And a really bad video of me as a white belt in TSD. EEEEKKKK!!! Boy I came a long way with technique. That video shows how much one can greatly improve LOL.

K

kenpo12

I have all my belts and I still have my first pair of black gi pants. They are shredded but I still have them in the closet, I just can't get rid of them.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My Isshinryu promotion certificates signed by Steve Armstrong. I can still remember driving down to Tacoma for those tests and talking over what the Creed and Code meant.

Lamont

B

Black Bear

I am not a guy who collects things. I do not like knickknacks and I do not buy "souvenirs" on vacation unless the item is inherently cool. Not a t-shirt/shot glass/figurine kind of guy. I do buy books and magazines, though now I'm going to try to sell off a stack.

I do keep things like ticket stubs around to use as bookmarks. So souvenirs in that sense, traces of memories here and there.

All I have from previous training is a heavy gi top which I still can grapple in (I got it in aikido, which was the first art I trained in).

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
unfortunatly all of my original stuff was burned in a fire ears ago.
that included picture, certs. uniforms, everything.
Some of it was replaced (certs) some not. But I still have fond memories.
About the odest thing I have now is a picture someone gav my last week of when I studied TKD back in the early 70's. Man did I look strange in that uniform:D

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only things left that I acquired from my first dojo are my plain black mediumweight gi, my belts. my red sparring gear, my karate study guide, and my trophies and medals from competing in a few tournaments back then.

What happened with the stuff? My oldest son sometimes wear my old black gi (as they are now his size) when practicing at home. My belts apparently got wet (from a house flood in the basement 8 years ago) and shrunk/twisted up. I still use my same old sparring gear with my current dojo. Surprisedly, they're still in fairly good shape considering they were bought 18 years ago and had seen quite a bit of action through the years. My study guide is tattered and missing some pages of how some techniques were done. It still shows the dates when I tested and the signatures of my previous instructors passing me off. My tournament awards are somewhere in a box in storage.

- Ceicei

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got a 15 year old Bushidokan Judo license stuck in a drawer somewhere, hmm, I wonder where it is!

Ian.

B

Black Bear

Listen as the wind blows
from across the great divide
Voices trapped in yearning
Memories trapped in time

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got my old belts in a drawer and my BB is currently collecting dust hanging over a curtain in my room. My certificate's framed and up on the wall. I only wore a white gi once and that was I tested for my BB, then I sold it to one of former students at my current studio.

S

Shinzu

i have all my old belts and certificates from when i was young. i dont know where my first white belt is though. i think it got lost over the years.

the oldes thing would have to be a video from when i was 13 i think. i was a beginner in shotokan karate and we were doing a demo at a local park. my friends dad taped in and gave me a copy. wow is it strange to see that stuff. priceless memories!

Latest Discussions