Youngest Grew Up A Little Today

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
My 11 year old earned her first level Junior Black Belt in Goju Ryu today after years of study. The rank isn't so important as the maturity, focus and power she is beginning to show.

Knowing that both family and dojo place a high value on academics as well, she came home with an honor roll report card the day before.

She was very much the smaller sister to our powerful 14 year old, but this one is coming out of her shadow, especially as one instructor has taken a special interest in her. This teacher, with my approval, drives her especially hard every class.... and the results become more apparent every day.

So - - - to you parents who wonder if years of payments and time spent at a reputable dojo can pay off, yes they can. To you instructors who wonder if some extra effort is worth it, yes it is. It isn't the belts and the stars and the trophies that ultimately matter, but what the child learns getting there... about the arts, about the elders and about their own potential.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations -- both to you and your daughter!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely worth it. Congratulations to your daughter. Please pass on my regards to her DoJo and Sensei of which I have indirectly known about for years. :asian:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic! Congratulations to you both! :asian:

OP
G

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definitely worth it. Congratulations to your daughter. Please pass on my regards to her DoJo and Sensei of which I have indirectly known about for years. :asian:

I have done this; Shihan and Renshi Trotman were very honored and asked I return their greetings to you. You are well known to them as a highly respected figure in this art.

I posted this publicly for the other parents who visit here - yes, it does matter which dojo you choose for your children. The legitimate ones have the reputation far and wide as they deserve; the same is true - in the opposite sense - for the poor ones. Never settle for buying your children a quick and meaningless black belt. When in doubt, there are very senior practitioners here who can assist you.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this is the coolest thing ever. This is what Martial training should be about. Learning Martial skill, while taking class, that in turn reflects back into the real world. Congratulations to your daughter.

Latest Discussions