Pens as Weapons.

Christian Soldier

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's another benefit to using a pen as a weapon. Its a handy way to mark a suspect for identification later.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
pengun.jpg

demotivational-posters-the-pen.jpg

in my state a zip pen like that is a one way ride to prison. they get very very nasty about it... also if no serial number i think ATF and the feds will be very unfriendly about it too!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
a walking stick is a better weapon.. but any good steel pen would work. lets face it people, if you need it it will be in a hurry and the first or second thrust or stab will get it done or you will need to go on to something else 9 out of 10 times!

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
a walking stick is a better weapon.. but any good steel pen would work. lets face it people, if you need it it will be in a hurry and the first or second thrust or stab will get it done or you will need to go on to something else 9 out of 10 times!

Funny enough, I'm not sure how many times I stabbed that dude-I'm pretty sure it was 6, but it might have been a few more. All I know for sure is that the first two got in, and I looked at his friends and they ran while I was giving him the third one. After that, Ir eally think I was holding him up-I know I broke his collarbone: he dropped his knife-and that's when I dropped him.

I didn't need to go on to anything else-I probably could have stopped after the first or second stab, but he was actually still trying to cut me by turning the knife-at least, that's the way it felt.

You need something that will get the job done...you can't really know what that is.....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
in my state a zip pen like that is a one way ride to prison. they get very very nasty about it... also if no serial number i think ATF and the feds will be very unfriendly about it too!

You are of course assuming I was serious.... and I wasn't.

Try taking one out in NYS and see what that gets you.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I used to carry a knife, but realized that all it tends to do is escalate... if you let them see it.

I recall learning a long time ago that 'shaolin monks' learned to have a mindset that anything that came to their hand, would be a weapon. I try to follow the same, to the point of having led practices where we'll roll up magazines to use as batons, where we've taken pennies and learned how to apply them to pressure points.

I occasionally fly, and use the metro system, as most people do. And when I do, while I don't carry a knife, I will not get on a plane without a sharpened pencil, and a pen.

The nice thing about them is they dont have to be lethal, they work just as well as any koga baton if you reverse the point it effectively becomes the pommel of a knife, which is a much less... lethal approach to dealing with uppity folks.

I've found that ball point pens are the most durable. I think it has to do with how they are mold in the factory, and instead of it being of the plastic being formed in a horizontal way, it's vertical, so the stresses are easier dispersed in the weapon. Lord knows if you use a multi jointed pen (or multipart) you hit something with it enough, the whole thing will just disintigrate in one's hands.

I stick with ball point- they're sharper, and more useful for a tearing cut, which with a pen is a lot less... ah, lethal again. I prefer to maim, or mark, before taking, if you know what I mean.

It's just, ever since 911, even if I was in the 6th grade then, I've had the mentality that if I'm on a plane and that goes down, at least someone there has something to stick into those assailants, and the willingness, and knowledge of how to.

Remember, they are more like the pick of a sai than anything else. Just a lot sharper.

If I weren't going for light cuts, I'd be going for gouges at the tender vitals; inner clavicle, under-jaw, temple, etc. Pen's require precision, which is a bit different than I think knives allow, which can be to go willy-nilly.

The teacher who taught me how to really use a knife always cautioned it was the most dangerous weapon; anyone can pick it up, and you don't even have to aim it to do real damage either. We treat knives with even more severity than guns- they are vastly more applicable, utilizable, and easy to fashion and come across.

I'd actually say if it came down to someone pulling a knife on you, and you've got the choice between your pen, or car keys, I'd go for the latter.

I've modded my keys so that they're maximized as weapons; can be used in the same manner as a nunchuk- the steel zip-line can punch holes in cardboard and a wooden fence, and it can be easily weilded as a knife, or set of steel knuckles.

Keys are much more versatile, especially when sharpened. I'm happy to post a video- I'm actually trying to get more people to weaponize their keys in the sake of self-defense, tho my apologies if I've gone off a tangent.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Zenjael,
where we've taken pennies and learned how to apply them to pressure points.
A penny is a rather dull object and most likely will not inflict enough damage to stop an aggressive attack.
If you want to hit pressure points a sharp object would work better, this is why Acpuncturist use needles.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I typically carry a tactical pen (Uzi or Smith and Wesson) and a kubotan key chain. I have yet to have either challenged at an airport. When laypeople comment on my unusual pen, I simply remark that my hand writing is terrible (it is) and the larger diameter seems to help me write more legibly. I never refer to the tactical nature of either item. It would be nice to have a pen with the heft and strength or your prototypes as they appear quite benign. If you get them to the production phase, sign me up. As for prosecutors. If I'm attacked with a weapon, I want something to possibly equalize the situation. I have no intentions of using either devise against an unarmed attack. If a prosecutor wants to charge me with intent they can do it as well for wearing a belt. I'd prefer to defend myself in court than be maimed or killed.
Dennis

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I typically carry a tactical pen (Uzi or Smith and Wesson) and a kubotan key chain ...If a prosecutor wants to charge me with intent they can do it as well for wearing a belt. I'd prefer to defend myself in court than be maimed or killed. Dennis

Actually, a prosecutor would have a much tougher time proving "intent" for "wearing a belt", ...an ordinary belt, anyway. If you want to carry tactical pens, IMO you might as well just carry a weapon. As Bill said, if you ever have to use one to defend yourself, it will be looked at closely. Legal or not, it will be noticed by police and prosecutors, and the fact that the object was manufactured and sold as a weapon, more specifically as a disguised weapon will likely complicate your defense.

An important point about improvised weapons is not just that they go unnoticed, but that they are ordinary, practical objects that don't scream "weapon" when you look at them closely, even after they are used in self defense. Rather, they are objects that any reasonable individual in similar circumstances might carry on his person or have in his immediate environment. I thought Bill made this abundantly clear.

Last edited:

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I'm scrolling on down the list of threads with new posts, and swear to god I read the title as 'Penis as weapons.'

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually agree with you. The belt statement is meant to be a little bit of hyperbole. I'm sure that any such use of these devices will bear scrutiny and the laws of the jurisdiction and the attitude of the prosecutor will have ultimate bearing on how the use of these weapons is handled. Some few states allow gun carry under various circumstanses but I personally don't find that to be realistic or desirable. The same with knives. Given the low probablity that any of us is likely to be attacked with a weapon, I truly question the need of something with obvious tactical atributes. The law abiding citizen is at a legal disadvantage if one chooses to carry a weapon (or close facsimile). Obviously the criminal who elects to use a weapon in the commission of a crime has already crossed the legal line and is not concerned with the various issues of criminal intent and tort law. Selecting everyday objects that will be of aid leaves you with fewer choices (I've personally never tested a Mont Blanc or Cross pen against an UZI pen). I guess a reasonable person is not expected to have to defend themselves. And that legally it's a given that having a device that is slightly more effective against a true weapon is an unreasonable precaution on the part of someone who assesses the risk of attack and concludes that being "lightly" armed is a prudent precaution. QUOTE=geezer;1508183]Actually, a prosecutor would have a much tougher time proving "intent" for "wearing a belt", ...an ordinary belt, anyway. If you want to carry tactical pens, IMO you might as well just carry a weapon. As Bill said, if you ever have to use one to defend yourself, it will be looked at closely. Legal or not, it will be noticed by police and prosecutors, and the fact that the object was manufactured and sold as a weapon, more specifically as a disguised weapon will likely complicate your defense.

An important point about improvised weapons is not just that they go unnoticed, but that they are ordinary, practical objects that don't scream "weapon" when you look at them closely, even after they are used in self defense. Rather, they are objects that any reasonable individual in similar circumstances might carry on his person or have in his immediate environment. I thought Bill made this abundantly clear.[/QUOTE]

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pens stuck in meat is by no comparison when having to penetrate skin, fat, and bone.

That said, these can be a good "distraction for flee"

From the aspect of a "defense pen", it has to be a writing instrument at first hand, or it will be a illegal weapon.

Latest Discussions