Parenting Advice

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

As many of you know I'm a new dad (yay!)

I've checked out a lot of parenting forums (yay!)

They really have been awful. Full of the most obnoxious, mean-spirited, small-minded, cliquish jerks you can imagine (boo!)

On the other hand, Martial Talk is a forum where I not only find advice and like minded spirits, but people I honestly consider my friends despite never having met most of you (yay!)

So, my friends and advisors and comrades in arms. Do any of you know of any good parenting forums? Or, barring that, do you mind if I go off topic a while and get advice from the experienced moms and dads here at MT?

Thanks, friends.

Jason

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, Jason! You must be really thrilled! Congrats again!

Dude, we've had parenting threads here before, so feel free to ask away! Prepare yourself for a barrage of answers, but that can be good - ultimately the right answer has to suit you, your family's needs and your style.

Best of luck, love and trials to you and yours!

:D

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm... if anyone claims to be a "parenting expert" run, do not walk, the other way!

All of us are kinda groping in the dark a bit, and if there is one thing for sure, it's that kids WILL continually surprise you.

Congratulations, and I'm sure you'll do well in the trials ahead...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi all,

As many of you know I'm a new dad (yay!)

I've checked out a lot of parenting forums (yay!)

They really have been awful. Full of the most obnoxious, mean-spirited, small-minded, cliquish jerks you can imagine (boo!)

On the other hand, Martial Talk is a forum where I not only find advice and like minded spirits, but people I honestly consider my friends despite never having met most of you (yay!)

So, my friends and advisors and comrades in arms. Do any of you know of any good parenting forums? Or, barring that, do you mind if I go off topic a while and get advice from the experienced moms and dads here at MT?

Thanks, friends.

Jason
This may sound mean spirited LOL, but I advise you listen to Dr. Laura every now and again. She is a bit too poliical for my taste but you should at least get a feel for where she is comming from.
Sean

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, Jason! You must be really thrilled! Congrats again!

Dude, we've had parenting threads here before, so feel free to ask away! Prepare yourself for a barrage of answers, but that can be good - ultimately the right answer has to suit you, your family's needs and your style.

Best of luck, love and trials to you and yours!

:D

Congratulations!!!

Agreed with shesulsa. There's many of us who are parents and can share some of our thoughts and experience with you.

- Ceicei

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congrats Dad!

Don't tell me you lost the parenting manual that was attached to the left heel of the child? They are very child specific, so it's not like you can get buy with borrowing someone else's.

Nomad's comment about running away from people claming to be parenting experts reminds me of a movie where a father followed the advice of such an expert/big selling author on the subject and everything went wrong. When the father found out the 'expert' didn't even have any children he wanted to to strangle the so-called expert. I don't recall the name of the movie, but that scene stood out to me.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
And don't forget that some people, whether they realize it or not, provide many examples of what not to do. These are invaluable resources; make use of them.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Advice???
ALWAYS love them and make sure they know that.....Have rules and discipline that is adhered to...nothing wrong with tough love boundaries...Keep open lines of communication...start when they're young and they won't know any better...they'll talk to you...Oh yeah and ALWAYS love them and make sure they know that...did I say that already......Prayer helps....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a parent, but hey...good discussion is good discussion as far as I'm concerned. Looking forward to hear more about you and your son as you walk down the road together.

Congrats again Jason and HUGE KUDOS to you for adopting a school-age child. That's an incredible amount of selflessness. I really admire you.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Advice???
ALWAYS love them and make sure they know that.....Have rules and discipline that is adhered to...nothing wrong with tough love boundaries...Keep open lines of communication...start when they're young and they won't know any better...they'll talk to you...Oh yeah and ALWAYS love them and make sure they know that...did I say that already......Prayer helps....

Great advice!

Make SURE they know you love them by telling them at the very least daily. If you have to punish them, let them know before and after the punishment that you always love them.

Hug them. A lot. Kids need hugs like plants need water and sunlight.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gratz on being a dad.

Follow the footsteps of other parents.

Learn from the mistakes of others.

The library and the internet will be your friend.

Take all advice with a grain of salt (except for hugs and kisses).

Many good people here that wish the best for you and your new family.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Advice???

Congratulations on the new addition. I agree with all of the above and will add that I always believed that my job as a father was to make sure my kids didn't need me any more by the time they were adults. I taught them that there were consequences for everything they did or didn't do, the hardest thing to do, was to let them make there own mistakes and not come to the rescue all the timet, but they could depend on me to love them, no matter what.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new addition. I agree with all of the above and will add that I always believed that my job as a father was to make sure my kids didn't need me any more by the time they were adults. I taught them that there were consequences for everything they did or didn't do, the hardest thing to do, was to let them make there own mistakes and not come to the rescue all the timet, but they could depend on me to love them, no matter what.
Golden advice!!!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As always, your friends at MT are here for you, and we have many very fine parents on the board. :)

If you'd like another option, even though it's a *womans* forum, check out ivillage. com :)

Good luck and many Congrats! :asian:

Latest Discussions