Parent issues around testing time

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems that even tho I tell folks 6 weeks to 2 months in advance when our next belt test is, I always get a parent ask if their child can test on a different day cuz something else has come up. It's never a death in the family. It's a football game, another sport the child is in, or another event. I'm inclined to just make the test date the only one for that cycle. What do you do when it comes up?

Also, what day of the week do you normally do testing? I do them on Saturdays. It's a special day (we don't normally have class on Saturdays) & it takes longer than a normal class time. What days do you do them & why?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never change my dates, if they want to test then here is the date. Also I test on the weekend after all my classes are done. I necer want to stop a class for some test. Best of luck Iceman and hold your guns, once you change for one it is a never ending cycle.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never change my dates, if they want to test then here is the date. Also I test on the weekend after all my classes are done. I necer want to stop a class for some test. Best of luck Iceman and hold your guns, once you change for one it is a never ending cycle.

I agree Terry. I mean you get people together to do it as a group. Ask the parents if they could reschedule the other "game" or event they are involved in.

Of course, if your flexibility is your marketing tool to get students then you may have to be understanding.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my school, we schedule testing monthly on the second Saturday of the month. Parents can request private tests if the testing dtae is a problem. IN that case if the child is at a class where there are enough instructors, the test will be done then.

I've requested private tests twice and in both cases ended up waiting a month for the next test due to intructor availability.

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree Terry. I mean you get people together to do it as a group. Ask the parents if they could reschedule the other "game" or event they are involved in.

Of course, if your flexibility is your marketing tool to get students then you may have to be understanding.

This is true if flexibility is one of your catches then you must be to a certain exrenct.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe this might be more work than it's worth but you might try to ask the parent to give you as far ahead a schedule of the child's "other" activities so to work around it.

Or ask the parent to ask the child to learn how to prioritize their activities so to know that it's O.K. to miss a game of football or baseball or soccer or whatever! in favor of taking their next belt test. At least it will help the kid later in years when they're trying to decide on the "hundreds" of job offers they're applying for :rolleyes:
But for black belt tests I would definitely be adamant and stick to whatever date you had in mind and make the parents prioritize their child's accomplishments... along with the child of course. It might run them ragged but their fault for saying yes do this, this, this and that.
I think it's okay for a child to want to do a lot of different things (hey it pulls them away from those damned video-game consoles) but they do need to learn how to put first things first. Attend to that which is most important to them.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate all your input. And if you have more thoughts, I'd appreciate them as well.

Chosing the dates has a lot to do with availability of the church that generously gives me the space for free. I have to work with the events there. For example, I have a test sheduled the 1st Saturday in December because it will a very busy month at the church. Saturdays will be hard to come by. Next month, I'll sit down with the church secretary & plan out the next year's worth of events for my program (tests, & which days we're in what rooms) to the best of our ability. Letting my students know as soon as I know I think is key. They can choose to test or not (once I give my okay).

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree that once you set a test date you should stick to it.

Word to the wise, however -- most kids' sporting events tend to take place on Saturdays.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good morning Iceman, We are consistent in that our tests are always on the 3rd Friday night of the month at my Cape Girardeau, School, and the third Sat, at my Sikeston School. Depending on the belt level white-orange and the set of circumstances I might schedule a private test, I raise the process fee for a Pvt, Test. I might add, we have a promotion schedule board hanging in the room that projects up to four months in advance so the student and the parent can set a goal and clear their schedule for that day (considering they have the attendance, which at my studio the attendance = time in grade) After those begining levels I am stern on green and above, because of the testing board being displayed-the student should put aside other activities. If they cant make it I just tell them NEXT month. It is a real pain in the butt to have to have a special test for a student who knew 3-4 months in advance they were suppose to test--"ahem... but I gotta football game on test day Sir" Then they still expect to test at their leisure. I, like most other Instructors have paper work to do and testing out of the cycle puts extra stain on me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've got a lot of kids as students -- or parents of kids! -- then you need to realize that Saturday mornings are often tied up with seasonal sports. Our kids class is very small at the moment, and we generally shift the Saturday morning kids class around to accomodate soccer. We get more students, and we may not be able to do that.

At the same time -- your activity deserves the same respect as the other sports. The parents aren't going over to the soccer or football league, and saying "little Timmy has a martial arts test, can we reschedule the game?" They'd be laughed at.

Maybe you can add a few weeknight tests, in between the Saturday morning tests? Require them to commit to one or the other; no last minute changes without a good explanation, and it's not a test at one or the other or both set up. I'd look for like one week night test for every two Saturday tests, or only do them during the spring or fall, or whatever time works out to be most problematic for the most students.

Or.. be a hardass. You announce the tests in advance, they can plan around them.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our tests occur during class. Since our students are tested by someone outside the class, rescheduling is difficult - although we have enough affiliated classes that we usually can send a student to another class that is holding a testing if the reason for missing testing is valid (illness of self or family member, work problems, school, etc.) - but I've had students come in and tell me after testing that they were at a concert, or a ball game, or something like that, and want to reschedule, and my answer is generally no to adults; with kids, it depends on the age, as if the parents went somewhere the child often has no way to get to class. I did have one student miss testing because his parents were out of town, and his older brother, who was supposed to bring him to class, forgot and went on a date instead, leaving his 13 year-old brother stranded at home; I scheduled a separate test for him, as it wasn't his fault. I'm pretty flexible with things that happen because life happens - but people who double-book themselves with a month's notice, during a time they are usually in class, have only themselves to blame if they don't test, and I don't make separate arrangements for them.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have testing on Saturday mornings, but students may test the Thursday morning or Thursday night before the scheduled Saturday test.

Also, spotlights (monthly quizzes of current material) are scheduled for Thursday nights but students may spotlight Thursday morning or on Saturday. If spotlighting on Saturday, that means they must test on all previous material because everyone is actually testing for their next gup. Also, if a students tests on Thursday night that can mean everyone who is spotlighting may have to go through all of their previous material instead of only current material.

So, we have three available slots to test (also we have another school in Ithaca, NY where we can test on an alternate night if we can't make the testing at our own school).

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never let students know ahead of time when they are testing. I can tell if they are ready and if they should know the material. I start all classes the same and all of a sudden someone is testing. If they know the material they should be able to pass the test.
I used to hold tests on a set date but got tired of all the excuses for students not being there or showing up thinking they could test when they had missed half the classes between tests.
Set a date and stick to it. However you may want to test on a weekend one month and a week day the next. This gives some flexibility to those that have weekend activities.
Another thought on this is if you have posted a testing date far enough ahead and they find something else to do that is their problem.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never let students know ahead of time when they are testing. I can tell if they are ready and if they should know the material. I start all classes the same and all of a sudden someone is testing. If they know the material they should be able to pass the test.
I used to hold tests on a set date but got tired of all the excuses for students not being there or showing up thinking they could test when they had missed half the classes between tests.
Set a date and stick to it. However you may want to test on a weekend one month and a week day the next. This gives some flexibility to those that have weekend activities.
Another thought on this is if you have posted a testing date far enough ahead and they find something else to do that is their problem.

I both announce the test date 2-3 months in advance & pre-test folks & tell them whether or not they are ready to test. It should eliminate some of the issues you mentioned, but it doesn't. Boys have known before they start practicing for football that there is a test during the season & on which date. I'm inclined to make test dates stick, because there's a lot that goes into it. Sometimes, I get the master from a sister school to drive 210 miles to sit in.

When I test only every 3 months, it needs to be an important event.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The situation with the main parent asking for a change resolved itself last night. I took the child & dad aside after class & explained that the test couldn't be moved to accomodate him. It was going to be one of those many times in life that he would need to choose what he wanted to do. I told the boy that I would understand no matter which thing he chose to do.

Dad seemed much more understanding than mom was on the phone earlier that day. He seemed to get that it was a "teachable moment" for his son, rather than an opportunity to try to move heaven & earth for the boy.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The situation with the main parent asking for a change resolved itself last night. I took the child & dad aside after class & explained that the test couldn't be moved to accomodate him. It was going to be one of those many times in life that he would need to choose what he wanted to do. I told the boy that I would understand no matter which thing he chose to do.

Dad seemed much more understanding than mom was on the phone earlier that day. He seemed to get that it was a "teachable moment" for his son, rather than an opportunity to try to move heaven & earth for the boy.

I am glad that worked out for you Iceman!

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maybe this might be more work than it's worth but you might try to ask the parent to give you as far ahead a schedule of the child's "other" activities so to work around it.

Or ask the parent to ask the child to learn how to prioritize their activities so to know that it's O.K. to miss a game of football or baseball or soccer or whatever! in favor of taking their next belt test. At least it will help the kid later in years when they're trying to decide on the "hundreds" of job offers they're applying for :rolleyes:
quote]

I have to strongly disagree with you on this point. I think in the team sports you're discussing, the child has made a committment to the rest of his or her team, and should put that first. If it's a practice, that's a different story, but I don't think they should miss a game. Any school I've been involved in has always offered a make-up test for students who couldn't attend the regular session.

The only exception I would make, is for black belt testing. They student has known the date of his black belt eligibility for 6 months in my school, so if he can't make it that day, he can wait two months until the next testing.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In our organization, grading is the first weekend in December, period. If you miss it, you have to wait another year.

Oh crap…that’s only three and a half months away!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regurlar testing for color belts don't change. Since there will be another test relitively soon they can test during the next test time. It won't kill them to wait a month or two.

Also we test on Wednesday's and Thursdays, kids on Wednesday and adults on Thursdays. This way Saturday events do not get in the way. Now we do close regular classes these days but most people welcome the break every 2 months, including the instructors.

Latest Discussions