Old School Taekwondo Being Practically All Kicks

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee
Which just makes my point that you will be more effective if you practice just a few techniques many times instead of practicing many techniques a few times.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sort of. I wouldn’t hire the carpenter has practiced swinging a hammer 10,000 times. I’d buy the chair from the carpenter who has built 10,000 chairs.
If a carpenter has built 10,000 chairs, assuming that they're chairs that are nailed together, if you do the math you would realize that said carpenter would've swung a hammer far more than 10,000 times in the course of building said chairs.
Besides, isnt Bruce Lee just an actor?? :)
He was much much more.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
A kick in isolation is like a golf swing in isolation, or swinging a hammer in isolation. I’m not at all worried about the guy who’s practiced a single kick 10,000 times. I think that sounds good on paper, and I appreciate the tacit message, but it’s just bad advice. In my opinion.
That's why when you do practice a kick that you want to be effective with you want to practice it against different targets and in different situations. You want to practice it against heavy bags, light bags, on the air, against moving targets, against opponents while sparring, from different stances, in combination with other techniques, and so forth.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Which just makes my point that you will be more effective if you practice just a few techniques many times instead of practicing many techniques a few times.
I thought your point was "Old School Taekwondo Being Practically All Kicks" and it wasn't, I trained it.
'
But then I have not been following this post closely, maybe I missed something in 9 pages of this thread

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought your point was "Old School Taekwondo Being Practically All Kicks" and it wasn't, I trained it.
From my experience some Taekwondo schools do mostly just kicks with not that many hand techniques and some don't.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So in other words, basically complete and total ignorance.
As I said Im speaking from my own experience and while I've done some Taekwondo here and there I've got decades of experience in other arts. You can believe me or not, either way it's the truth.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He was much much more.
And a martial artist. That's it.

That's why I like Chuck Norris. He never made himself out to be more than any of those two things, nor did he ever try to come off as being infallible.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From my experience some Taekwondo schools do mostly just kicks with not that many hand techniques and some don't.
This is a good example why I post before "The pot calling the kettle black", that post is exactly what I am talking about..... many have told you otherwise, including me, and you still make the same claim.

Maybe we should define what you consider "Old School" I was in TKD in 1976 and, as I already said in this thread, there were kicks, punches, takedowns, joint locks, in close fighting tactics, etc.. Yes there were kick, generally higher than some other styles, but it had a lot of hand techniques.

So, how far back are you calling "old school"?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said Im speaking from my own experience and while I've done some Taekwondo here and there I've got decades of experience in other arts. You can believe me or not, either way it's the truth.
And since you're talking about TKD, that means you're speaking from ignorance. But what do I know? I've only been training TKD for 50+ years.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just watched a few videos of TKD guys sparring with karate and Muay Thai guys.

It does seem that, on average, a TKD guy's kick to punch ratio is about 5:1. Oddly enough, TKD guys are using more punches when they're up against Muay Thai guys than against karate guys. I'm trying to see the reason for that.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a good example why I post before "The pot calling the kettle black", that post is exactly what I am talking about..... many have told you otherwise, including me, and you still make the same claim.

Maybe we should define what you consider "Old School" I was in TKD in 1976 and, as I already said in this thread, there were kicks, punches, takedowns, joint locks, in close fighting tactics, etc.. Yes there were kick, generally higher than some other styles, but it had a lot of hand techniques.

So, how far back are you calling "old school"?
Yes I know contemporary Taekwondo can sometimes contain lots of hand strikes, it depends on where you do it. If you claim that TKD in 1976 contained lots of hand strikes then I stand corrected although by old school Im also talking earlier such as in the 1950s.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
And since you're talking about TKD, that means you're speaking from ignorance. But what do I know? I've only been training TKD for 50+ years.
With the TKD I've done and seen a big emphasis is put on high kicks and arial techniques, are you saying TKD isn't like that?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
And a martial artist. That's it.
And one of the best, he even came up with his own style of JKD which is still a popular style today.
That's why I like Chuck Norris. He never made himself out to be more than any of those two things, nor did he ever try to come off as being infallible.
I like Chuck Norris too and while he might've never made himself out to be infallible many of his fans have. He has sometimes even been portrayed as a superhero and he was good friends with Bruce Lee BTW.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the TKD I've done and seen a big emphasis is put on high kicks and arial techniques, are you saying TKD isn't like that?
Your claim is that "old school taekwondo is practically all kicks", and this is 100% false. You've heard it from people who were there.
Very sport-focused KKW schools sometimes have the emphasis you describe. TKD does not. You've been told this many times, too, by people with decades of experience. But, as usual, you don't get it. You just keep flogging that poor, dead, mangled horse while moving those goal posts.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I know contemporary Taekwondo can sometimes contain lots of hand strikes, it depends on where you do it. If you claim that TKD in 1976 contained lots of hand strikes then I stand corrected although by old school Im also talking earlier such as in the 1950s.
Then it would seem you are mischaracterizing it since TKD or more properly TK-D did not exist prior to 1955. For the rest of the 1950's there was really only one system using the moniker and since there is little video evidence from the time the written page is the best evidence we have to go on. That clearly shows plenty of hand techniques. There is also the story of Nam Tae Hi one of the OGs of TK-D at the demo that impressed the president breaking 13 roofing tiles with a hand technique thereby being part of the impetus to establish TK-D.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just watched a few videos of TKD guys sparring with karate and Muay Thai guys.

It does seem that, on average, a TKD guy's kick to punch ratio is about 5:1.
Certainly if "Average" is based on sheer numbers due to the sheer number of WT / Olympic style fighters out there the average would be skewed.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say TK-D is not like that. But definitely aerial and high kicks tend to impress audiences more than hand techniques so Demos may be skewed toward using those.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
And one of the best, he even came up with his own style of JKD which is still a popular style today.

I like Chuck Norris too and while he might've never made himself out to be infallible many of his fans have.
You got that wrong too. Not infallible. That would be invincible. (S:)rcasm)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Contemporary!!! My teacher was a student of General Choi, and all he ever trained was TKD, how much more old school do you want.... never mind.... you are not paying attention again and apparently have a point to make... no matter how flawed that point may be....TTFN

Latest Discussions