Old School / Classic TKD - moved posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course a person would have to actually experience real, violent self defense situations as a civilian, and actually trained in full contact to even begin to understand that. Otherwise they will just try to throw out a bunch of jargon and argument to support their flawed position.

You're making unfounded assumptions Al. I've had off-duty altercations. I've also trained private citizens who have had altercations including attempted date-rape. I can speak with authority in both venues.

And as a general note, to no one specifically, I don't have a financial incentive for one winning out over the other (sport or SD).

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Alright, let's take a look at some of the training. Let me ask you about the sparring that is performed in your school. Could you tell me what it is like? How does it start, how does it end? What is the rule set? What do they wear? Please put anything in that you feel is important as well. This isn't to put you on the spot, from there we can make a comparison. Thank you.
Before I even go into that, I am still waiting for your answer on what modern training methods you have trained in, how long and who did you train under. Since you are the one saying that "old school" training is superior (at least that is how it comes off to me), then please provide your background in modern training methods. I really do not care if you train with real blades and bullets while dressed in a tight mini-skirt walking in high heals in a dark dance hall with techno music blaring. Old school martial arts did not train like that, so it is a moot point. I get it you train in "reality"...cool..really. How does your training in modern methods hinder your SD training?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I have trained in both as well, which is why I keep asking how modern training methods hinders SD practice.

And you will keep asking, and you will not get an answer. One would have to have experience in modern training methods to understand. It's funny though to see a posted diagram of a Karate low block as someones example of modern training methods :) It just goes to show, some people have no clue what these methods are, but yet want to be seen as some kind of expert on comparing modern training methods to whatever the new system of the year might be. Seriously humorous :)

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No I'm not thumping my chest. No, I'm not special. No, I'm not bullet proof. No, I'm not better than anyone else. But yeah, I've got an opinion and the experience to back it up. Yeah, I've taught over a thousand high liabilty professionals, many of which now teach, many of which have used what I taught to save themselves or another in violent altercations. And yeah, I'm willing to take the flack from the peanut gallery in order to stand up for something that can help someone in a crisis situation over something likely to get them hurt or killed. Now let's have some more jabs and one-liners from the gallery :uhyeah:

Maybe I'm missing something? Why do we keep ending up in this meandering and endless debates? Based on your vast experience, you have developed Kong Soo Do, a succesful system that is apparently attracting hundreds of high liability professionals, who I hope are paying. If I was in your shoes I'd create a Kong Soo Do forum where those professionals can find a comfortable base to discuss and further grow the system. If I was a chef who previously specialized in meats and have now turned vegetarian -- because of a distaste that I developed from seeing the terrible slaugher of innocent animals -- why would I insist on visiting carnivorous chefs to talk about meat menus with them?

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Craine3.jpg
[/IMG]

Why would someone use a certificate with the WTF logo to award hapkido rank? Also what is the Tsanumi TKD/HKD? Is that supposed to be tsunami? I think that is a japanese word, which sounds a little odd for a "tkd/hkd" school, like how "narabang karate" or calling the instructor in a karate school sabum would sound funny.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What would he talk about? How he claims affiliation to the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF), when the does not know who he is? Oh, and the WTF does not like it when people put the WTF logo on made up Dan certificates. Do you think it is ethical of Michael Dunn to put the WTF logo on made up Taekwondo Dan certificates? Especially given the fact that WTF is strictly for competition Taekwondo, and that the WTF does not know who he is?

The WTF has a law firm based out of New York for this type of situation. I believe they consider that to be trademark infringement.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would someone use a certificate with the WTF logo to award hapkido rank? Also what is the Tsanumi TKD/HKD? Is that supposed to be tsunami? I think that is a japanese word, which sounds a little odd for a "tkd/hkd" school, like how "narabang karate" or calling the instructor in a karate school sabum would sound funny.

Maybe it's an old school thing. Issue Hapkido rank in affiliation with the World Taekwondo Federation, the sport governing body for Taekwondo. ROFLMA!!!!!!!!!!

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said, not me, not my cert and has nothing to do with the thread. A photo shop attempt to take the thread off topic.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like I said, not me, not my cert and has nothing to do with the thread. A photo shop attempt to take the thread off topic.

No photo shop. It is from one of your members websites. http://www.bio-davidacrainesr.freehosting.net/photo3.html

Dave, you are even in the photos! And your name is even on some of the certificate on his page you must know this guy? You signed his certificate.

We are on topic. This appears to be some old school thing that I am unaware of :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions