TKD tips and tactics

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is also devoted to Terry and designed to pump life into this section :wavey:

Okay, just as in the other thread, TKD is the art that can be both a sport and self-defense art.

If you are involved in TKD as a sport, what tips and tactics could you offer someone also training with sport as their goal? What have you learned that makes you more effective in sparring and/or competition? What do you do to increase your physical fitness? What would you say to someone thinking about getting into TKD as a sport (or hobby etc)?

If you are involved in TKD as a means of self-defense, what can you offer for tips and tactics with this goal in mind?

Here are my thoughts, for those involved in TKD for self defense:

In addition to any sparring you may do, train in with scenario-based format and train as realistically as is safely possible.

• Situational awareness. Get out of the school and into an environment that an attack would likely occur in such as the parking lot, alley behind the school, wooded area, an elevator, on stairs, inside a vehicle etc. Simulate what is necessary while getting out of the school into the actual venue when possible. This provides more sensory input to the student on what to look for and expect.
  • Train in dim-light conditions.
  • Train in street clothes as often as possible.
  • Train to look for and use improvised weapons.
  • Train verbal de-escalation as well as yelling to attract attention.
  • Train within applicable self-defense laws and know them.
  • Train with the possibility of multiple attackers.
  • Train for realistic ground fighting (MMA competition is NOT realistic ground fighting so don't confuse the two).
  • Train from positions of disadvantage i.e. you're already on the ground, hands are full of groceries, you're protecting someone etc.
  • Train for what happens AFTER the altercation is over i.e. calling authorities, checking for self injury, gaining a place of safety till the authorities arrive or even providing medical attention to an injured victim.
  • Train for a scenario from start to finish to avoid bad habits.
  • Video the scenario for viewing later and feedback.
  • Train for physical conditioning including resistance training and cardio.
  • Train for escape or evasion.
  • Examine a principle, technique or movement to see how applicable it REALLY is against a determined, violent attacker (keeping in mind the person my be on drugs which means they are likely resistant to pain and have greater than normal strength.

These are some thoughts to start off the SD discussion. I'd like to see the sports folks come in and discuss their side of the house as well.
:)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why look for and use improvised weapons? You could easily have a weapon in your EDC (every day carry) kit. My EDC includes a "tactical" flashlight and a knife, which means I am armed even in gun free zones. The flashlight is enough to fill my fist and would make a hammerfist hurt a LOT more, and while in the guard position it can blind or disorient an attacker.

Around my condo, I've made sure I have access to weapons no matter where I am. Not improvised weapons, but tools designed specifically for armed confrontation.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why look for and use improvised weapons? You could easily have a weapon in your EDC (every day carry) kit. My EDC includes a "tactical" flashlight and a knife, which means I am armed even in gun free zones. The flashlight is enough to fill my fist and would make a hammerfist hurt a LOT more, and while in the guard position it can blind or disorient an attacker.

Around my condo, I've made sure I have access to weapons no matter where I am. Not improvised weapons, but tools designed specifically for armed confrontation.

I'm all for an EDC weapon, be it a firearm, edged weapon, kubaton or flashlight. In regards to a flashlight, this is an excellent EDC weapon as it is a multi-use tool. Many come with a sharp bevel edge for striking as well as ones with a CREE LED that would temporarily blind the attacker.

However, I like to also stress improvised weapons as a very useful back up. Change in the pocket can be tossed into the face to momentarily blind the attacker (as in causing them to close their eyes and flinch away). Car keys can be a good improvised weapon. Of course any type of rock or brick laying around or stick or for that matter snapping the radio antenna off a car if you're in the parking lot. Not only is it a useful option, but it trains the person to be aware of their surroundings which increases their options.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to knock nunchuka as being unrealistic training, but recently discovered the skills translate well to anything chainlike.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knives and guns are not necessarily a good option for non-LEO. Same for nunchuka. But ball point pens, metal flashlights, wooden sticks, tree branches, and numerous other every day items are possible as use for weapons. I think that was the point of Kong Soo Do's post about looking for improvised weaons. They are all around us if we just start looking for them and how they might be used.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are the best option regardless if you're LEO...but they can be expensive and/or illegal depending on your circumstances.

DETLTU

White Belt
Reaction score
In addition to any sparring you may do, train in with scenario-based format and train as realistically as is safely possible.

• Situational awareness. Get out of the school and into an environment that an attack would likely occur in such as the parking lot, alley behind the school, wooded area, an elevator, on stairs, inside a vehicle etc. Simulate what is necessary while getting out of the school into the actual venue when possible. This provides more sensory input to the student on what to look for and expect.
  • Train in dim-light conditions.
  • Train in street clothes as often as possible.
  • Train to look for and use improvised weapons.
  • Train verbal de-escalation as well as yelling to attract attention.
  • Train within applicable self-defense laws and know them.
  • Train with the possibility of multiple attackers.
  • Train for realistic ground fighting (MMA competition is NOT realistic ground fighting so don't confuse the two).
  • Train from positions of disadvantage i.e. you're already on the ground, hands are full of groceries, you're protecting someone etc.
  • Train for what happens AFTER the altercation is over i.e. calling authorities, checking for self injury, gaining a place of safety till the authorities arrive or even providing medical attention to an injured victim.
  • Train for a scenario from start to finish to avoid bad habits.
  • Video the scenario for viewing later and feedback.
  • Train for physical conditioning including resistance training and cardio.
  • Train for escape or evasion.
  • Examine a principle, technique or movement to see how applicable it REALLY is against a determined, violent attacker (keeping in mind the person my be on drugs which means they are likely resistant to pain and have greater than normal strength.

These are some thoughts to start off the SD discussion. I'd like to see the sports folks come in and discuss their side of the house as well.

My instructor was a LEO, and we did quite a few of those scenarios. I don't think we did low light situations though which is a good idea. I think if you are training for self defense, cross training is a must. We some improvised weapons and situations, included as others have said, using change as a distraction, keys as weapons, and quite a bit of stickfighting as there are a lot of common items that can be used in place of a stick. We did knife defense and knife fighting too with rubber knives as well as markers which was always interesting. One of the things that was always preached to us is if you get in a knife fight you are going to get cut. It rarely works out like the movies. How you mentally prepare for that is another issue.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'vs seen lipstick used as a marker for knife fight training. Rub lipstick on a rubber knife.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For sport,
I say replace long distance/long period cardio training with circuit style training.
Distance running/endurance training are classic exercises for most sports, but these can lend to the deterioration of fast twitch muscle, which is not something you want in sparring. Instead, utilizing intense, short period, dynamic circuit training instead of traditional cardio may better prepare and preserve your muscles for sparring.

For self defense,
what I feel are the key aspects are distance and pressure. How can you maintain the distance you wish? and how do you handle pressure? developing these two broad areas will help self defense no matter what art you're coming from.
Also, tightening up your chosen techniques. Overtrain your techniques to include no inefficient movement, and to present no opening for your opponent. This will conserve energy, increase accuracy, and hopefully make sure your techniques are offensive and defensive, giving little opportunity for counters.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

You carry a tactical flashlight and knife everywhere you go? Do you wear nothing but cargo pants?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Knives and guns are not necessarily a good option for non-LEO. Same for nunchuka. But ball point pens, metal flashlights, wooden sticks, tree branches, and numerous other every day items are possible as use for weapons. I think that was the point of Kong Soo Do's post about looking for improvised weaons. They are all around us if we just start looking for them and how they might be used.

Agreed. Do you know how to use a bo staff? Than you can use a mop, broom, large stick, etc to defend yourself. Studied short stick? That can be a flashlight, umbrella, wrench, rolling pin, etc. Many things can be a weapon.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For sport,
I say replace long distance/long period cardio training with circuit style training.
Distance running/endurance training are classic exercises for most sports, but these can lend to the deterioration of fast twitch muscle, which is not something you want in sparring. Instead, utilizing intense, short period, dynamic circuit training instead of traditional cardio may better prepare and preserve your muscles for sparring.

We've started to move in that direction - do you have any particular exercises you'd recommend? We've been doing some circuits like: do a short sprint, jump over a hurdle, bounce on the balls of your feet (or switch back in forth, or hop on one foot) through a course of hoops, do some speed kicking, and repeat.

I think this is also a great idea because you're training, in sport TKD, to do 90-second rounds. I think cardio is important and helps with overall fitness, but you're not going to be fighting someone for 20 minutes. It seems like reflexes and short-term speed are more important than long-term endurance.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...do you have any particular exercises you'd recommend?

I always like to recommend a pyramid. For those unfamiliar with a pyramid, you simply chose a series of exercises. I like to do a bodyweight squat, plea squat, lunge, push up, one-leg calf raise, chin up, dip and hanging crunch in this order. Do 1 repetition of each exercise you pick. Then go back and do 2 reps of each and continue with 3 reps then 4 reps etc. You go up to your desired goal and then you start back down until you finish with 1 rep of each exercise. As an example, if you go up to 5 repetitions (1 - 5 - 1) you've done 25 total reps of each exercise. Go to 10 reps and back down (1 - 10 - 1) you've done 100 reps of each exercise.

This allows a slow warm up as well as cool down and lets you work your body within different rep ranges and also provides a pre-exhaust workout to be built into the program. It builds functional strength as well as has a cardio element to it.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You carry a tactical flashlight and knife everywhere you go? Do you wear nothing but cargo pants?

Question wasn't directed to me, but I'd like to toss out some things for considerations. One of my 'things' is flashlights. On duty I always have three on me and in my EDC I have three as well. Each has a different purpose besides illumination. There are a plethora of choices on the market these days that are both high quality and inexpensive. Many of these options would make a good improvised defensive weapon. Whether on your key chain (think kubaton) or carried in your hand while you walk the dog they can be used to shine into the eyes of an attacker (temporarily blinding them or at least making them look away/close their eyes) or as an impact weapon (many have sharp bevels).

Take a look at the picture in the OP of this thread: Survival and Emergency Preparedness - excoboard.com

Fits in the hand, light, sharp bevels and costs less than $4. I've purchased a bunch of these for myself and as small gifts. The one pictured operates on either a 14500 battery or a regular AA. The 14500 will yield up to 300 lumen while the AA yields about 80 lumen. To put this into perspective, the old 5D cell maglites with the incandescent bulbs are less than 40 lumen. So they are BRIGHT and very practical. Plus types like this have a little clip for the pocket as well.

I likes me some flashlights! :boing2:

I have AAA, AA, 14500, 18650, 26500 as well as D and C cell lights.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always like to recommend a pyramid. For those unfamiliar with a pyramid, you simply chose a series of exercises. I like to do a bodyweight squat, plea squat, lunge, push up, one-leg calf raise, chin up, dip and hanging crunch in this order. Do 1 repetition of each exercise you pick. Then go back and do 2 reps of each and continue with 3 reps then 4 reps etc. You go up to your desired goal and then you start back down until you finish with 1 rep of each exercise. As an example, if you go up to 5 repetitions (1 - 5 - 1) you've done 25 total reps of each exercise. Go to 10 reps and back down (1 - 10 - 1) you've done 100 reps of each exercise.

This allows a slow warm up as well as cool down and lets you work your body within different rep ranges and also provides a pre-exhaust workout to be built into the program. It builds functional strength as well as has a cardio element to it.

I was told to do pyramids like this in the gym on the various machines ie rower, bike, treadmill etc. only in minutes, getting faster with each rotation, it saves the boredom of spending ages on each machine. I like the idea of doing the exercises the same type of way, as you describe.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'vs seen lipstick used as a marker for knife fight training. Rub lipstick on a rubber knife.
You can also grab a box of washable markers. Have the students wear a white t-shirt that they don't mind getting messed up, give 'em a marker and let them go to town. It'll scare the hell out of them when they see the marks on their own shirts and it will make them train harder.

Latest Discussions