Ok I give up who the heck is Tom Carnes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kruzada said:
Perhaps you mean "Makabagong" Arnis de Mano, which I believe can be used to mean "Modern" in certain instances. My Modern Arnis certificate from the Philippines, that I received in 1998 (prior to the establishment of IMAFP) says "Bagong Samahan ng Makabagong Arnis sa Pilipinas". "Bagong" means new, "Samahan" means club or society.

Just FYI, the official language of the Philippines is "Pilipino" which is derived from Tagalog. Some Filipinos find it offensive, especially if they are not Tagalog, if you refer to the national language as Tagalog.

-Rich Acosta
Rich,

This is great info!!!

Thanks,

Palusut

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Tom

I just got your video here I appreciate you sending it so quick. Just one question in it you show certificates that you have earned then you show pictures of you in the Army and then show pictures of all of these patches. Two of the patches I have concern with. One patchis is the IKKA patch (Kenpo) Did you ever study Kenpo? and the other patch is special warefare unit (SEAL) were you ever in the Navy or instructed Navy SEALs?

Just a coupel of quest not accusing or anything.

V/R

Rick

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Im mitose kempo & I did meet Granmaster Parker & film a few session.The kempo patch is from a friend of mine who is American Kempo & signed it for me.Chuck Eperson.A great player & no bad for guitar.The Seal patch came from a seal member of team 4 & I had the chance to train him while in the army.Didnt know he was a seal & I didnt care.That patch was given as a thanks.I respect him for that.I was Air born Sgt. 1st class.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing the videos as soon as Bob gets them up, as well. I get the impression that -- although perhaps a little addled and puch-drunk from too many sticks to the head, as well as not having worked English as a first language in writing for too long -- he may, in fact, have been there/done that before a whole new generation of guys started MA.

I've actually seen stuff like this in kenpo...some oldster comes out of the woodwork after having been on the sidelines for decades. Because he blacked under Parker, or an early Parker BB, before guys like Tatum & Trejo even started kenpo, there are many in the arts -- including "seniors" who had never heard of them, met them, etc. Yet, when you find a dinosaur (one of the guys who was a senior before the new generation of seniors started), they will have clear recollection of the fellow having trained at the house, Pasadena, whatever.

It will be intriguing to see how this gentleman moves; I suspect much of the proof will be in the pudding.

Regards,

Dave

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I'd be interested in seeing the videos as soon as Bob gets them up, as well. I get the impression that -- although perhaps a little addled and puch-drunk from too many sticks to the head, as well as not having worked English as a first language in writing for too long -- he may, in fact, have been there/done that before a whole new generation of guys started MA.

I've actually seen stuff like this in kenpo...some oldster comes out of the woodwork after having been on the sidelines for decades. Because he blacked under Parker, or an early Parker BB, before guys like Tatum & Trejo even started kenpo, there are many in the arts -- including "seniors" who had never heard of them, met them, etc. Yet, when you find a dinosaur (one of the guys who was a senior before the new generation of seniors started), they will have clear recollection of the fellow having trained at the house, Pasadena, whatever.

It will be intriguing to see how this gentleman moves; I suspect much of the proof will be in the pudding.

Regards,

Dave

Dave et al, (* by the way Tom: "et al" is a latin term used to mean "and others". Not an insult. *)

I never said that Tom Carnes was not there, nor was he there. I do not know. But when he starts out wiht who are these guys? It sounds all commerical like to me and that he has ot make a name for himself by bad mouthing others, pushing of rank and titles, and name dropping, versus just making it on his skill alone.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Hopefully, if he makes it to the July camp in Cromwell, I'll see Dr. Schea. What better time to get any questions I have answered. I'll be sure to post his replies.:)

Mike

Mike,

If you can also talk to Brian Z as he was around in the early 80's as well and can also contact others who were around in the late 70's.

Also pass my best wishes along to the Dr Schea and the rest. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Mike,

If you can also talk to Brian Z as he was around in the early 80's as well and can also contact others who were around in the late 70's.

Also pass my best wishes along to the Dr Schea and the rest. :)

Will do Rich! I see Brian on a regular basis.:)

Mike

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How funny-the waiting.Not sure what He will clip If its some of the b/w that was full contact I had no pads & attacter shin pad only to protect from original impact.All hits are hard & fast.If he clips some of the Vegas school its hard hits & no pads but controlled enviorment.If he clips some os the 8mill from Joses school Im in all black-not hard to find as I have retained my mustache from then. i I also pause a short clip so its seen as me .Now he might clip some of the 2004-6 seminars I did & this will have a break down of some & some controlled contact at regular speed.As for those people you mentioned-Not 1 of them( people you posted) were on the original line from Philippines.They might have herd of me yet I dont know them & they were not part of my group or Jutnicks or Farris or Triggs to name a few.But I have had many a phone calls with Randy Shea-He confirms my ranks-films & teaching authintic as well as Dr Barber-Tom Bolden-Steven K Dowed-Robert Briggs-Ed Farris-Leonard Trigg ect.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Special note 1- certificate from Ernsto I show ( also have 1 from Jose Presas reads Samahan ng Makabagong Sining ng Arnis sa Philipinas or Moder Arnis Association of the Philippines.! not show is The International Philippne Martial Arts Federation under that is Samahang Sabansaan ng sining Marsiyal ng pilininas then the tear drop flag & Ito Ay Isang Pagpapattunay na si ( be it know that)Tom Carnes Ay maluwalhating nakapagtapo,nakaunawa at nakatupad ng mga pamamaraan sa sining marsiyal at siya pinagkaklooban ng antas na or haveing satisfactory compleated & assimulated the art teachnique & traing of the art & the discipline appertataing there unto is here by awarder rank of Master & Guardian At bilang katibayan na iginawad sa amin nang may kapangyarihan ay ipinagkaloob namin sa kanya itong katibayan ng pagtatapos in testimony whereof & by the authority vested on us we do confer upon him this Master & Guardian of Kuntao-Arnis Iginawad ngayong ik ng sa taon ng ating panginoon isang libo at siyam na raan at given this 20th day of Sept in the year of our lord ninteen houndred & 84 signed by Ernesto Presas & Leonard Trigg who is Puno ng Pagtaas of Promotion Chaiman.I hope I spelled all right.Its a 11 by 14 certifacate & like most at that sime it looked like sheep skin parchment or rice paper type.I never asked but they are cool certificates & Both Remy & Ernesto no longer use them.They stopped around 86 or 87 I think-not sure.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
Special note 1- certificate from Ernsto I show ( also have 1 from Jose Presas reads Samahan ng Makabagong Sining ng Arnis sa Philipinas or Moder Arnis Association of the Philippines.! not show is The International Philippne Martial Arts Federation under that is Samahang Sabansaan ng sining Marsiyal ng pilininas then the tear drop flag & Ito Ay Isang Pagpapattunay na si ( be it know that)Tom Carnes Ay maluwalhating nakapagtapo,nakaunawa at nakatupad ng mga pamamaraan sa sining marsiyal at siya pinagkaklooban ng antas na or haveing satisfactory compleated & assimulated the art teachnique & traing of the art & the discipline appertataing there unto is here by awarder rank of Master & Guardian At bilang katibayan na iginawad sa amin nang may kapangyarihan ay ipinagkaloob namin sa kanya itong katibayan ng pagtatapos in testimony whereof & by the authority vested on us we do confer upon him this Master & Guardian of Kuntao-Arnis Iginawad ngayong ik ng sa taon ng ating panginoon isang libo at siyam na raan at given this 20th day of Sept in the year of our lord ninteen houndred & 84 signed by Ernesto Presas & Leonard Trigg who is Puno ng Pagtaas of Promotion Chaiman.I hope I spelled all right.Its a 11 by 14 certifacate & like most at that sime it looked like sheep skin parchment or rice paper type.I never asked but they are cool certificates & Both Remy & Ernesto no longer use them.They stopped around 86 or 87 I think-not sure.

Tom Thank you so very much for this post.

The Cert was signed by Ernesto Presas and Leonard Trigg and NOT Remy Presas for Guardian of Modern Arnis. This explains a lot. As at that time GM Ernesto Presas was using the term Modern Arnis, but later chose to use Kombaton to avoid such confusion.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Special note-Remy & Ernesto 1979-81 did teach as brother & all ranks from him or Remy are know as authentic as well as respected.& if you note the prior rank from Ernesto which is on the dvd I snt to Mr.Huubard says Kuntao Arnis as I do hold 1 from Jose dated 1978.This dose not mean that is is out dated or no longer good,Ernesto & Remy joined & thought it would benifate the art to renew the ranks at the same time be profitable.So Those who may have rank & broke off Like Jeff Daniels or HocHockeman do not for 1 second feel that they are frauds becouse they dont attend your seminars or join your club.John Lennon said it the best & I quote (The people who come to see us & buy all our records & posters ect are not the true fans,they are groupies.The true fan will come up shake hands & state thats a realy nice song,is tit common time & what inspired you to write it.) I short what I said & you must or should reread the post 1 shown In part philippino terms as it was the original cerficate used by Jose & I show the patch that went with it.The one not show was a more current rank as I kept up with Remy & Ernesto as 1 art(this was how I saw it & was trained,)Now Remy stated on the Black belt tapes he was not trained by his dad Jose.He claimed his grandfather Jose did.Stoke was the grand father & had no Jose in his name.Interesting.No famliy art passed to Remy.Ernesto did take lessons from Jose as well as I.This by no means I still didnt have time with Remy.My ranks state I did as my videos.

The Game

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've tried reading through this, but so much of it is confusing and hard to follow. :(

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To break it down for you Jose Presas y Bonco taught Ernesto the family art.Remy did not learn the family art but ,had some Balintawak-doce pare-karate-jujisu-& i think some panandata! Which explain the staff work that he tought to Kelly Wardon & gave Datu for.My ranks simply state 1-I had time under Jose 2-I had time under Remy 3- I had time under Ernesto.Dont denounce others as they had time & broke off or never joined some club or Assosiation.There are many out there who had privates,This will not ever exclude their skills or ranks.Semianrs are not the only way( or good way for rank).It' s intent(the seminars) was for studentds of the teacher of that school to see who tought him/her.That was it but, later become a money & easy rank thing.Soon seminars posted every were & now( You can train with founders or close to it.)Plus you can earn you rank if you join the assosiation.Yet another money thing.Good intent but htere are some out there who what lots.Ive seen post for may of them.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monkey said:
To break it down for you Jose Presas y Bonco taught Ernesto the family art.Remy did not learn the family art but had some Balintawak-doce pare-karate-jujisu-& i think some panandata which explain the staff work that he tought to Kelly Wardon & gave Datu for.My raks simply state 1-I had time under Jose 2-I had time under Remy 3-dont denounce others as they had time & broke off or never joined some club or Assosiation.There are many out there who had privaotes,This will not ever exclude their skills or ranks.Semianrs are not the only way or good way for rank.It intent was for studentds of the teacher of that school to see who tought his/her.That was it but later become a money & easy rank thing.

Tom you are wrong yet again.

GM Remy Presas had part of the family art, maybe not all of it, but enough to add it into what he later called Modern Arnis.

I agree that when he would fight or spar seriously with you he used his Balintawak which a Rocky will state is mostly Moncal and some Maranga influence.

As to the rest I cannot speak about all he studied, but I will answer what I know.

As to saying I should not discount you.

Ok Tom I am the Supreme Grand Mejestico Puh Bah of Modern Arnis, I have can get a cert for it, but let us not even bother with that. You are going to question my title are you not? In particular if you have never heard of seen me. I also come on board and start telling everyone that they are all wrong and ONLY I KNOW he Truth. Drop some names and make some references to a long time ago and expect that no one is still alive or is around.

This has happend before and in other arts as well, but the problem is that these little gorths of truth become so large that they no longer resemble truth at all.

Then assume I type so bad that NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can read your posts with jsut one pass. They have to read it many times and try to understand who the heck you are replying to be it in the current thread or in another thread totally different form where you post.

You do not represent yourself well.

You do not answer questions but with names and claims.

There are those who have stated you are wrong both here and on the Ninjutsu forum. You are fast loosing any possibility of respect you might have left.

I say this because if you were truly around and did train with these people then maybe just maybe you might have something to offer.

Yet it is you who first makes claims that others should not have titles or who are they, and then you get all defensive when people do nto know you and do nto accept your answers of see my video and look who I trained with.

Go slow, type your reply, even type it in Word and use a spell checker. Experss yourself coherently and concisely and maybe just maybe people will begin to understand you.

PS: No excuse about age and or eye site. My Dad who is afraid of Computers, is now able to get online and type slowing and be able to send a message or even buy a stock or two. He is 65 going on 66. He goes slow, he does not rush, he takes his time. Try this and maybe it will help.

Rocky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I agree that when he would fight or spar seriously with you he used his Balintawak which a Rocky will state is mostly Moncal and some Maranga influence.

As to the rest I cannot speak about all he studied, but I will answer what I know.

As to saying I should not discount you.

Ok Tom I am the Supreme Grand Mejestico Puh Bah of Modern Arnis, I have can get a cert for it, but let us not even bother with that. You are going to question my title are you not? .

First a lot of Remys Staff and close quarters off setting ( Empty Hand ) came from Tjarkata ( I know I spelled it wrong ) Its heavilly Indonesian.

Secondly I was wondering if Rich could promote me? I always wanted to be " The Dean of the first international Modern Arnis Academy of Female Jello Stick fighting...... Our Mission State will be " Better body mechanics through less clothing" Off course all of our little hotties...I mean girls... will get nothing but the best "Hands on" teaching available from yours truely!!

Rocky

"My wife says some guys play hard to get......I play hard to want"......I don't get it???

Status
Not open for further replies.