"Off the mat" behaviour?

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We don't know how a dragon may behavior but we do know how a tiger may behavior - trying to eat your opponent alive.

Oh but we do...

"Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee"

So said Peter, Paul & Mary and whoever else.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would stop people wearing their uniform on the way to and from the Dojang. Especially those who visit the supermarket before or after, for example. Not only is it unwise from a personal safety perspective, it reflects badly on the club.

Gnarlie

Also you get the attention of annoying people, I can't count the times I heard someone say "hey your in karate show me one of those techniques" or worse some try start fights

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't think that would be so controversial. I can understand if there is no changing facility, but it's easy enough to put a tracksuit over a dobok.

I've known kids beaten up walking home in a dobok. For adults, you're the role model.

Gnarlie

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also you get the attention of annoying people, I can't count the times I heard someone say "hey your in karate show me one of those techniques" or worse some try start fights
How many people tried to start a fight with you?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
About 6 (six completely different times/two I'm fairly certain by the way they acted they were under the influence of alcohol) they were looking avoided that's one thing I'm greatful for but you never know how some people are going to react these days

I've been in martial arts three years soon to be four (planning on getting next rank soon) with that there hasn't been much problems with that type of situation

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
About 6 (six completely different times/two I'm fairly certain by the way they acted they were under the influence of alcohol) they were looking avoided that's one thing I'm greatful for but you never know how some people are going to react these days

I've been in martial arts three years soon to be four (planning on getting next rank soon) with that there hasn't been much problems with that type of situation

You going to the Bar in your uniform? You need to move man I have never ever had a problem and have never known anyone else to either so I don't know where you live but you need to leave that place if 6 people in three years have tried to fight you because of your clothes

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You going to the Bar in your uniform? You need to move man I have never ever had a problem and have never known anyone else to either so I don't know where you live but you need to leave that place if 6 people in three years have tried to fight you because of your clothes
There's a bar close but I don't go there (technically I can't go I'm 19 and see no interest in going) i don't know whether they were trying to do but yes and thank you for the advice

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of times I made a quick stop in to one place or another because I had to get a bite or a drink before class. Never had any threats to my personal safety. I did experience some minor annoyances, such as my uniform getting stained from spilled coffee or grease from the gas pump.

This is the biggest reason I can think of not to where your uniform outside of the training area. Of course, you're also a reflection and representative of the club, especially when you're in uniform, just like anything I do in my work uniform reflects on my agency -- but with most students that's not really a problem. When I first started training, one of my friends developed a habit of wearing his uniform jacket as an outer layer in place of a sweatshirt or the like. We were advised that doing so wasn't proper, especially once he'd earned the student patch.

As to conduct outside the club having to be dealt with... It's not often a problem in my experience. We've had one or two that needed a few words about behavior for one reason or another -- but that's often been more simply looking out and caring for a friend making bad choices more than someone reflecting poorly on the club. I'm aware of a few cases where people were given ultimatums about their behavior, but not a lot.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This actually reminded me, and a bit off subject, but there have been issues with people who abuse uniforms in public. Not necessarily being a target, but making an appearance and perhaps milking it for what it's worth. Such as corrections officers and dispatchers who wear the same uniform as the deputies of their county. And in these scenarios, they were getting LEO discounts at stores and on food. Although, what really brought the issue to light was that a dispatcher was present during an emergency call in a uniform, did not respond (of course) to the public's liking, because the public thought she was a deputy. Caused some confusion.

Side note, I have been told, "if you are going to wear your uniform in public, wear it appropriately and make sure it's tidy in appearance and be respectful."

We've got one civilian staff member where I work who has a tendency to wear a department baseball cap... He's not sworn, he's never been sworn, and it's been addressed by the brass several times. He stops for a while, then resumes. Until the brass decides to actually handle it, that's how it'll roll.

I'm actually NOT a fan of civilian uniforms that look too much like the officers uniforms (dispatchers, etc) for just the reason your post illustrates: misidenfitication. Whether it's they don't handle something they're not prepared, trained, or equipped for, or get targeted because a bad guy doesn't look for details... there's a safety risk. I learned this many years ago when I was uniformed security guard. I stopped somewhere on the way to work, in uniform, and was mistaken for a police officer by a child. Harmless, but it made me realize that there was a concern with the uniform, and led to me either wearing something to cover up the uniform or putting my shirt on at work.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't think that would be so controversial. I can understand if there is no changing facility, but it's easy enough to put a tracksuit over a dobok.

I've known kids beaten up walking home in a dobok. For adults, you're the role model.

Gnarlie

I have not known anyone who was beaten up, or even had to defend themselves because of wearing a MA uniform. But even without a uniform, if it is known I am a BB in an MA, there have sometimes been people who felt a need to challenge that. No one has taken it to a physical level (nor would I allow it), but there are nonetheless sometimes challenges to the effectiveness of MA, particularly mine.

All that aside, I was always taught the the uniform was for use in the dojang, and represented the school. It was always considered poor form to wear the uniform outside of class. So when I see students wearing their uniform outside of class, I tend to think poorly of the school. As with you, I would understand no changing facilities if there were no rest rooms, but in general, I don't personally agree with wear of the uniform outside the school.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it was part of the way I was taught.

Latest Discussions