"Off the mat" behaviour?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At dinner the other night, a few of us were talking about a few athletes who made headlines (in a bad way) for their off-the-field behaviour.

That left me wondering....many MA schools have some sort of code of conduct. Does "off-the-mat" behaviour concern anyone?

Has anyone here actually been faced with the prospect of confronting a student due to their behaviour when they were NOT on the mat?

If you haven't, what sort of scenario -- if any -- would lead you to consider confronting a student about their behaviour off the mat?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my class I've had several cases where people act up after class (mainly children) there's always some logic reason to it. There's many reasons but the biggest one I seen was because of upbringing (sometimes the parents bad teaching or sibling peer pressure)

When someone acts up in a disrespectful or negative way usually it can affect whether they may test or not. That or stop teaching them advanced techniques until they fix there problem (a way we fixed a lot of it was we offered advice and had possible rewards if the problems were fixed) usually the rewards might be higher chance to test or getting to continue working on the advanced forms

I don't know if that is the case or not but regardless, best of luck teaching

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe it does. Back when I taught a class through community education, I would try very hard to instill good values and did have to address some students along the way when it came to my attention that they were using their skills to try and bully other children.

I have been in class where the instructor has taken to task some adult students who were not acting in an appropriate manner at a big function where kids were present.

I think that it should matter, at the very least, I wouldn't want people thinking bad about my school/style because people were acting like jerks in public and were associated with us. It is very easy to be judged by the actions of a few.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have serious concern about someone who is using their training off the mat for inappropriate reasons. I would define that as any use that is not justifiable self defense or defense of others or use related to their job. In other areas, I would certainly consider confronting anyone who I thought had indications of problems such as depression, substance abuse or other mental illness, in order to try to get them into treatment; just as I would for anyone I knew who was not involved in martial arts.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would stop people wearing their uniform on the way to and from the Dojang. Especially those who visit the supermarket before or after, for example. Not only is it unwise from a personal safety perspective, it reflects badly on the club.

Gnarlie

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the best lessons in life were taught to me while on the "mat". Mutual respect, how to treat other people, fairness, what goes around comes around. From the moment we bow in and until we bow out we are learning how to interact with other people. All promotions are based on technical ability and the carry over in life of these principles mentioned above.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would stop people wearing their uniform on the way to and from the Dojang. Especially those who visit the supermarket before or after, for example. Not only is it unwise from a personal safety perspective, it reflects badly on the club.

Gnarlie

Why I wear my uniform pants to and from class usually with a sweat shirt or jacket and I stop some times to pick things up. I've never had a safety problem in a grocery store. If you need to worry about being attacked in your grocery store because of what your wearing you need to find a new store to shop in.

The closest thing we have is for kids we send home questionaires for teachers and parents to fill out before testing times that ask about behavior issues at home and in school. If a teacher or parent has too many neg. Things written down the kid isn't allowed to test.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why I wear my uniform pants to and from class usually with a sweat shirt or jacket and I stop some times to pick things up. I've never had a safety problem in a grocery store. If you need to worry about being attacked in your grocery store because of what your wearing you need to find a new store to shop in.

The closest thing we have is for kids we send home questionaires for teachers and parents to fill out before testing times that ask about behavior issues at home and in school. If a teacher or parent has too many neg. Things written down the kid isn't allowed to test.

1 I lived in a crappy area and swanning around in a uniform is asking for trouble

2 There are changing facilities and shower at the Dojang so there's no reason to do it

3 Cold sweat is pretty nasty

4 The uniform is for practicing in

5 It looks bad on the school when stinky people are in the supermarket queue

Gnarlie

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some of the best lessons in life were taught to me while on the "mat". Mutual respect, how to treat other people, fairness, what goes around comes around. From the moment we bow in and until we bow out we are learning how to interact with other people. All promotions are based on technical ability and the carry over in life of these principles mentioned above.

Our kids are told there are only 3 rules in the dojo: Self-control, Self-discipline and Respect.
Of course little do they realize this encompasses just about everything.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1 I lived in a crappy area and swanning around in a uniform is asking for trouble

2 There are changing facilities and shower at the Dojang so there's no reason to do it

3 Cold sweat is pretty nasty

4 The uniform is for practicing in

5 It looks bad on the school when stinky people are in the supermarket queue

Gnarlie

I disagree but whatever floats your boat.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Gnarlie

I've heard this. Many times. What I haven't ever seen, though, is any evidence that anybody has ever been attacked simply because they left their uniform on. Nor do I see how wearing the uniform outside the school "reflects badly" on said school. I wear scrubs outside the hospital all the time. Does this somehow reflect badly on our ER? Scrubs, dobak... they're just fabric, and there's not even a whole lot of difference between them.

A students behavior, though, does reflect on the school to some extent. To be allowed to test, our students not only have to know the material, they also have live up to expectations outside of school. About 3 months ago, a 4th geup was returned to 10th. The color of the belt means a great deal to him, and he's worked hard in and out of the dojang to regain his rank. I think he'll be testing for 3rd geup in February or March.

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At dinner the other night, a few of us were talking about a few athletes who made headlines (in a bad way) for their off-the-field behaviour.

That left me wondering....many MA schools have some sort of code of conduct. Does "off-the-mat" behaviour concern anyone?

Has anyone here actually been faced with the prospect of confronting a student due to their behaviour when they were NOT on the mat?

If you haven't, what sort of scenario -- if any -- would lead you to consider confronting a student about their behaviour off the mat?

A decade ago, some peers (early 20's) from a school thought it would be cool to start their own fight club and teach each other techniques from their "fighting" backgrounds. This became destructive in a few ways:

- Teaching your art when you should not be, and to those who want to abuse that information
- Beating people to a pulp at times with no medic or referee to interfere, allowing serious injuries to occur (what caused the means to an end of the fight club)
- Leaving one particular dojo with a bad name because the majority of the fighters trained there and when a major incident happened, everyone turned on the instructor's attitude towards the public's perception of MA

In the end, the students were banned from local MA training facilities, suspended from jobs (a couple were in law enforcement/corrections) and lawsuits flew all over the place. Luckily the dojo stayed unharmed financially but its reputation on the other hand was beaten.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Gnarlie

Yeah, there have been times when that person was me.

My first school had no changing areas, no showers, very little room for personal space and to be honest, very little room for students. We were strongly encouraged to come to class fully dressed. I would usually change at work and then head to class. Being a white belt and not at all accustomed to the uniform, I preferred to get dressed in front of the mirror so I knew I had everything tied right and in place.

A couple of times I made a quick stop in to one place or another because I had to get a bite or a drink before class. Never had any threats to my personal safety. I did experience some minor annoyances, such as my uniform getting stained from spilled coffee or grease from the gas pump. Usually the only people I encountered were folks an old friend calls the "Joeys" -- the people that want to talk to you about their friend/cousin/offspring "Joey" who also "does karate". Wasn't my favorite practice but I made do with what I had.

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Gnarlie

This actually reminded me, and a bit off subject, but there have been issues with people who abuse uniforms in public. Not necessarily being a target, but making an appearance and perhaps milking it for what it's worth. Such as corrections officers and dispatchers who wear the same uniform as the deputies of their county. And in these scenarios, they were getting LEO discounts at stores and on food. Although, what really brought the issue to light was that a dispatcher was present during an emergency call in a uniform, did not respond (of course) to the public's liking, because the public thought she was a deputy. Caused some confusion.

Side note, I have been told, "if you are going to wear your uniform in public, wear it appropriately and make sure it's tidy in appearance and be respectful."

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, there have been times when that person was me.

My first school had no changing areas, no showers, very little room for personal space and to be honest, very little room for students. We were strongly encouraged to come to class fully dressed. I would usually change at work and then head to class. Being a white belt and not at all accustomed to the uniform, I preferred to get dressed in front of the mirror so I knew I had everything tied right and in place.

A couple of times I made a quick stop in to one place or another because I had to get a bite or a drink before class. Never had any threats to my personal safety. I did experience some minor annoyances, such as my uniform getting stained from spilled coffee or grease from the gas pump. Usually the only people I encountered were folks an old friend calls the "Joeys" -- the people that want to talk to you about their friend/cousin/offspring "Joey" who also "does karate". Wasn't my favorite practice but I made do with what I had.

I have to...well I had to (changing schools right now) change at work before class, because I would get to class right on time, and no room to change. Other than having all my co-workers bow at me the last 15 minutes on clock, I had no real issues either.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to...well I had to (changing schools right now) change at work before class, because I would get to class right on time, and no room to change. Other than having all my co-workers bow at me the last 15 minutes on clock, I had no real issues either.

Correct their technique on the bow, and also insist that they genuflect. That'll take care of that.

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Correct their technique on the bow, and also insist that they genuflect. That'll take care of that.

*smiles* Indeed. They do it before entering my office, and it's quite the humorous topic...I also hate working in the daytime (worked graves for many years and outside) so I keep it dark (window facing southern sun blacked out) with very low mood lighting. I asked for stalactites and albino mice, and I hang my weapons on the walls with various scrolls. Between all of that, my job title and Batman cup I drink out of, they have insisted I am the female Dark Knight.

Latest Discussions