No Touch KO

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've said about this one before...

During a step sparring thing I did an upward elbow as the counter.

Going the other way, my opponent did the same counter, and punched herself in the ear.

Now if I can just get a bit more power in it and make it work consistently ;)

In the white belt class, we were doing punch defense. The uke took his right leg back into a front stance and down blocked, and then stepped forward and threw a basic punch. The punch ended maybe a foot away from the other person (as we do in practice, especially at white belt). The person who was supposed to do the defense just walked straight into the punch.

Not as the punch was being thrown. The punch had been thrown and the fist was just sitting there. And he walked face-first into it.

I laughed so hard I nearly puked, I really did.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the white belt class, we were doing punch defense. The uke took his right leg back into a front stance and down blocked, and then stepped forward and threw a basic punch. The punch ended maybe a foot away from the other person (as we do in practice, especially at white belt). The person who was supposed to do the defense just walked straight into the punch.

Not as the punch was being thrown. The punch had been thrown and the fist was just sitting there. And he walked face-first into it.

I laughed so hard I nearly puked, I really did.
The famed static knockdown.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It took me a long time and a lot of study to reach the point of being able to perform the no-touch knockout. I have only done it once so far.

We had a new student in our dojo. He wasn't totally new, he had studied our style of karate under a different sensei when he was in his teens, but now he was in his mid-forties and coming back to training for the first time in decades.

He started attending classes and was enthusiastic about getting back in shape and re-learning all he had once known. And indeed, some of his techniques showed that he still had retained some knowledge and ability, he just needed to get the rust knocked off and he'd be fine.

One night after class, sensei told us to pair up and do some light kumite (sparring). No gear, just a teaching/learning environment, as we often do. Many of us are adults with jobs and we can't go to work the next day all busted up, so we emphasize the 'light' in 'light kumite'.

Since our new student had not done this before, I paired up with him, explained how it worked, and we both took up fighting stances. My plan was to not attack, but merely to defend, and to allow our new student to work his techniques, helping him by showing him holes in his defense, and so on.

Instead, our new student immediately charged me full power. He came at me like a freight train, throwing kicks, punches, everything. Really badly, I might add. It looked like he was having some sort of convulsion.

I stepped off the fight line and let him sail by me.

He hit the wall of the dojo, bounced off a bookcase, turned and hit a desk, and collapsed on the mat.

The noise was such that everyone in the dojo stopped and asked what I did to the poor guy, who was now motionless on the deck.

Some thought I had thrown a spinning back kick. Some thought they saw a backfist from me. Some thought I had employed a trip or a low kick to the legs.

I never laid a hand on the new student. I got out of the way and he demolished himself. I was horrified of course; had I known he was completely out of control and could not stop himself, I would have tried to catch him before he crashed, but I didn't and he did.

No-touch knockout folks. Am I not amazing?

FYI, it has taken him several months to get healed up, but he's still working out with us. A real trooper, he just needed to step it down a notch.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It took me a long time and a lot of study to reach the point of being able to perform the no-touch knockout. I have only done it once so far.

We had a new student in our dojo. He wasn't totally new, he had studied our style of karate under a different sensei when he was in his teens, but now he was in his mid-forties and coming back to training for the first time in decades.

He started attending classes and was enthusiastic about getting back in shape and re-learning all he had once known. And indeed, some of his techniques showed that he still had retained some knowledge and ability, he just needed to get the rust knocked off and he'd be fine.

One night after class, sensei told us to pair up and do some light kumite (sparring). No gear, just a teaching/learning environment, as we often do. Many of us are adults with jobs and we can't go to work the next day all busted up, so we emphasize the 'light' in 'light kumite'.

Since our new student had not done this before, I paired up with him, explained how it worked, and we both took up fighting stances. My plan was to not attack, but merely to defend, and to allow our new student to work his techniques, helping him by showing him holes in his defense, and so on.

Instead, our new student immediately charged me full power. He came at me like a freight train, throwing kicks, punches, everything. Really badly, I might add. It looked like he was having some sort of convulsion.

He hit the wall of the dojo, bounced off a bookcase, turned and hit a desk, and collapsed on the mat.

The noise was such that everyone in the dojo stopped and asked what I did to the poor guy, who was now motionless on the deck.

Some thought I had thrown a spinning back kick. Some thought they saw a backfist from me. Some thought I had employed a trip or a low kick to the legs.

I never laid a hand on the new student. I got out of the way and he demolished himself. I was horrified of course; had I known he was completely out of control and could not stop himself, I would have tried to catch him before he crashed, but I didn't and he did.

FYI, it has taken him several months to get healed up, but he's still working out with us. A real trooper, he just needed to step it down a notch.

DANG!!!! Bill, you're amazing :D

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That reminds me of the episode of Supernatural where they find a rabbit's foot which gives the holder incredible luck. For example, if someone is holding you at gunpoint, they will shoot and miss, the bullet will ricochet off 5 different things and then hit their own hand and knock the gun out of their hand...in such a way that it lands in your hand and you can point it at them.

Or they'll swing at you and miss, and then whiff on the punch and lose their balance and hit their head on a coffee table.

It was a great episode.

So this guy didn't understand the concept of "light"?

Robert Agar-Hutton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I teach Tai Chi and I can easily do a no touch knockout.

Oh wait, no I can't - sorry, must be someone else.

It amazes me how many people do believe in the woo-woo - oh well, to each their own.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I teach Tai Chi and I can easily do a no touch knockout.

Oh wait, no I can't - sorry, must be someone else.

It amazes me how many people do believe in the woo-woo - oh well, to each their own.
Not too hard to figure out why they want to believe it - They want to find a way they can beat anyone without any effort at all. Learning how to actually defend yourself takes too long, is too difficult, takes too much work, and is too painful. Why work hard when there’s a guy who can teach you to control anyone and knock them out without doing much of anything?

Quite simple, really.