TSD/TKD Forms List

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by dvcochran, Dec 6, 2018.

1. dvcochran

dvcochran Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    I posted this on the General thread hoping to get more hits. I have also PM several people on the forum for information so any help is appreciated. I am working on data for my next Dan advancement in a couple years. My thought is to list EVERY TSD/SBD and TKD form I can find and discuss the history behind each form. Not the how so much as the what/where/when. Here is an initial list that is very rough. Please add to the list if possible. As the list is complete I will dive in to the individual pieces.
    Thank you.
    Kicho Forms 1-3
    Palgwae Forms 1-8
    Taeguek 1-8
    Pyung An Forms (Color Belt) 1-5
    Original Tae Kyeon & TSD Black Belt Forms - 14

Bassai
    Nahanji 1-3
    Jin Do
    Ro-hi
    Kong Sang-Kun
    Jit-te
    Wan Su
    Sei-Shan
    Ji-On
    O Ship Sa Bo
    So rim Jang Kwon
    Sip Soo
    Tae Kuk Kwan – (Same as Kicho Hyung’s)

Kukkiwon Yudanja Forms 1-9
    Koryo
    Keumgang
    Taebaek
    Pyongwon
    Sip Jin
    Jitae
    Cheonkwon
    Hansoo
    Ilyo

• Like Like x 1
  2. skribs

skribs Master of Arts

Thing is...you'll have some forms with similar names but different patterns. The Kibons we did at my first school weren't exactly the same as my second school. The Palgwes we do at my school are VERY different from the Palgwes I've seen on YouTube.

Then you get to school-specific forms. My first school had somewhere around 30 or so Exercises, which were basically mini-forms, in addition to the Kibons, Taegeuks, and Palgwes. The school I'm at now does the official versions of the KKW black belt forms, but also has our own versions, which are fairly similar but with a few tweaks and usually a section that's completely different.

3. dvcochran

• Supporting Member
    I will use a historically accurate version. Not versions that have been altered by fractured schools/teachers over the years. There is no way I could ever gather all that data.

4. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    How do you plan to determine which version is "historically accurate?"

• Like Like x 1
  5. dvcochran

• Supporting Member
    Yes, that is going to be tough. My thought is simply a non-weighted average from as many sources as possible. I am open to other ideas as well.

6. Dirty Dog

I don't have any good suggestions, but I don't know how well that will work. For example, I practice and teach the Palgwae forms. They also do Palgwae at @skribs' school. Which is historically correct?
    Unless the forms are, like the Taegeuk forms, endorsed by a single organization, you're not likely to be able to identify which flavor is "correct."

For that matter, you're going to have trouble with "correct" for some of the TSD/SBD forms you've got listed. They are, after all, the same forms done in various shotokan/shudokan/Okinawan systems. But each organization will do them with variations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dvcochran

• Supporting Member
    That is where the best average comes in. I will not be using Okinawan variations. Just too many variables to make any sense of.

8. Dirty Dog

The Okinawan versions are the oldest, but they're not the most historically correct?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. skribs

skribs Master of Arts

I'd be willing to put a lot of money down that mine are not the original Palgwe forms ;)

With that said, I've seen several different versions of even Palgwe Il Jang on youtube.
    • All versions I've seen are 20 steps in the same I pattern
    • Most have inside blocks, some have outside blocks
    • All have a back stance for the double-knife-hand block, and front stance for the punches. Most have front stance for the down blocks and knife-hand strikes, and back stance for the inside or outside blocks
    • All have the kiyhaps in the same place
    These little details are interesting. It's clear some schools are trying to teach "back stance is defensive stance" with every block being in a back stance. It's clear that different people read a manual differently when some decided to do inside blocks, and other outside blocks, which in a still picture can look the same. And even though my school had the same similarities as all the others, and every other school did at least some of the stuff the same way we do ours, our school has a completely unique version I wasn't able to find.

Our combination of stances and specific techniques is different than what I've seen, even if the pattern and the basic template is the same.

Now, that's Palgwe Il Jang. With Palgwe Chil Jang, our version is completely different in every way. The Palgwe Chil Jang I found online had maybe 1 or 2 moves that I was like "that looks like what we do". And it was at a different part of the form. The pattern was different, the timing and pacing was different, the length and complexity was different (ours is longer and more difficult, in my opinion).

10. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Is the Chang-Hon pattern set covered in your list or is it not TKD?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Balrog

Balrog Master of Arts

In the Songahm style, we have:

Colored Belts: Songahm 1 - 5, Inwha 1-2, ChungJung 1-2
    Black Belts: ShimJun, JungYul, ChungSan, SokBong, ChungHae, JahngSoo, ChulJoon. That takes us to 7th Degree Black Belt. I don't know the names of the 8th or 9th Degree forms I'll find them out and update this list later.