Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have it all planned out. The great escape

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you apply choking, you should not allow your opponent's feet to stand on the ground.

Some time a technique fail because you didn't do it right.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You joke but it would work. Assuming you have anough time to grab the lighter, move it into position, and light it before your choked out.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That worked better than a tap out

D

Deleted member 39746

Not going to lie, i was expecting this to be iron windpipe training. :p

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your opponent can still reach to his pocket, your choke is not strong enough.

Lol I wear shirts with the pocket on the chest. Question about your video. what would happen if your partner just flipped over? The reason I asked is because sometimes it's easier to escape by going with the flow

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol I wear shirts with the pocket on the chest. Question about your video. what would happen if your partner just flipped over? The reason I asked is because sometimes it's easier to escape by going with the flow
If you just apply the right amount of force, your opponent won't have enough force to borrow and flip (throw your opponent 1/2 way). Even if your opponent can flip, that may just turn into a side mount ground game.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is going to be very hard to put force in to that choke. I am not sure if you would ever get the KO.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't let your opponent to stand on his feet is the key. You move your belly out and then move your hip back, your opponent will sit on the ground instead of standing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't let your opponent to stand on his feet is the key. You move your belly out and then move your hip back, your opponent will sit on the ground instead of standing.

That is a whole different set of mechanics.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No disagreement there. But, it takes half a second to reach down, what choke do you know that takes less than half a second to commit?
To commit, maybe it you caught the person sleeping while standing. Otherwise it is a relatively unrealistic hold to use on the street.
It will take several seconds before you are altered from oxygen loss. Ample time to reach in the pocket.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To commit, maybe it you caught the person sleeping while standing. Otherwise it is a relatively unrealistic hold to use on the street.
It will take several seconds before you are altered from oxygen loss. Ample time to reach in the pocket.

Blood loss. And you are unconscious before you know you are unconscious.

If you are not defending in any other way you will go out very quickly.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blood loss. And you are unconscious before you know you are unconscious.

If you are not defending in any other way you will go out very quickly.

I agree with the "out before you know it" comment. It is a big reason why I used to use a rear choke. People who are jacked up really can have "super human" traits, like fighting you well beyond when the brain is saying "I'm done".

I am a smaller guy. When I was in L.E. I was young enough, fast enough, and crazy enough to sometimes jump on a perps back and apply a rear choke and ride them until they would go down and we could cuff them. It NEVER happened in a matter of a few seconds. Just a guess but maybe 8-10 seconds before you could tell they were being altered. I think things like body size, fitness, and how jacked up they were had something to do with how long it took.

The point I am trying to make is two fold.
1.) To be used as an effective self defense tool, a standing rear choke is an advanced technique. It is greatly predicated on the circumstances (environment, attacker, etc...) so SA paramount. It takes a LOT of practice to learn how to cut the blood supply and not just have moderate control of the head. Some of the videos above where the opponent is suspended rearward have merit if you are Not trying to cut off supply. As soon as you turn your hips to suspend the person the mechanics of the choke change. Again, if the attacker is even slightly taller than you the suspended choke becomes Much harder and lower percentage. In no way do I see the suspended person as being effectively contained.

2.) For the average sentient person, how concerned are you that someone is going to be stealthy enough to slip up behind you and apply a rear choke? Even in the dark. It is a very conditional technique that as a stand alone tool is very low percentage.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with the "out before you know it" comment. It is a big reason why I used to use a rear choke. People who are jacked up really can have "super human" traits, like fighting you well beyond when the brain is saying "I'm done".

I am a smaller guy. When I was in L.E. I was young enough, fast enough, and crazy enough to sometimes jump on a perps back and apply a rear choke and ride them until they would go down and we could cuff them. It NEVER happened in a matter of a few seconds. Just a guess but maybe 8-10 seconds before you could tell they were being altered. I think things like body size, fitness, and how jacked up they were had something to do with how long it took.

The point I am trying to make is two fold.
1.) To be used as an effective self defense tool, a standing rear choke is an advanced technique. It is greatly predicated on the circumstances (environment, attacker, etc...) so SA paramount. It takes a LOT of practice to learn how to cut the blood supply and not just have moderate control of the head. Some of the videos above where the opponent is suspended rearward have merit if you are Not trying to cut off supply. As soon as you turn your hips to suspend the person the mechanics of the choke change. Again, if the attacker is even slightly taller than you the suspended choke becomes Much harder and lower percentage. In no way do I see the suspended person as being effectively contained.

2.) For the average sentient person, how concerned are you that someone is going to be stealthy enough to slip up behind you and apply a rear choke? Even in the dark. It is a very conditional technique that as a stand alone tool is very low percentage.

You could back up your rear naked choke with basic back taking skills though.

Latest Discussions