Ninjitsu basics vol.2 sword combat

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I can't take credit for finding this vid, it's stolen directly off a link one of my fellow students shared on facebook but it's made my night. I would say this needs the disclaimer of "Please do not have any food or drink while watching this clip"

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLF4wy5fsmQ&feature=player_embedded#at=35[/yt]

alternatively, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLF4wy5fsmQ&feature=player_embedded#at=35

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, couldn't even get through that thing....

My word, it's bad. Most notable is the bad cutting skills (or lack thereof), followed by the attrociously unrealistic "techniques". But for real fun, check out the dogi jacket (uwagi) being worn OUTSIDE the hakama! I know of one other who does that, and if the connection is there, it is about as far from a badge of credibility that you can get!

Oh, and to embed, it looks like this:

[yt]SLF4wy5fsmQ[/yt]

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, couldn't even get through that thing....

My word, it's bad. Most notable is the bad cutting skills (or lack thereof), followed by the attrociously unrealistic "techniques". But for real fun, check out the dogi jacket (uwagi) being worn OUTSIDE the hakama! I know of one other who does that, and if the connection is there, it is about as far from a badge of credibility that you can get!

Oh, and to embed, it looks like this:

[yt]SLF4wy5fsmQ[/yt]

I just posted it up as some comic relief. Wasn't sure if it was most appropriate to post here, in the ninjutsu section or just straight to horror stories :D

Ahh thank you! I used the [ yt ] tags but inserted the entire url I think. Will keep this in mind in future :)

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
haha. I just died of laughter when he threw the saya at the guy.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is that the Himo(straps used to tie the Hakama) hanging out or his Obi(sash)?

It was entertaining in some Homoerotic way.....:slapfight:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that the Himo(straps used to tie the Hakama) hanging out or his Obi(sash)?

Er, hanging down (not tied) from underneath the uwagi... which is worn outside of the hakama itself (?!?!).... I'm hoping he's trying to start some new fashion trend! Cause if not, then it's basically like wearing a big sign saying "Hi, I have no idea what I'm doing!"

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that someone hung that sign right over his neck for him when they taught him this BS. and if he just made it up... Well, actually, that just makes more sense :p

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I only watched a little (without sound), this surely has to be a couple of kids playing ninja in their back yard. In that case, they are just having fun and don't deserve to be dogged by everyone. Of course, they open themselves up for it by posting ridiculous videos like that on YouTube. :) Still, slamming other people that are having fun should not be what we, as serious martial artists, are about.

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
While I only watched a little (without sound), this surely has to be a couple of kids playing ninja in their back yard. In that case, they are just having fun and don't deserve to be dogged by everyone. Of course, they open themselves up for it by posting ridiculous videos like that on YouTube. :) Still, slamming other people that are having fun should not be what we, as serious martial artists, are about.

Hi,

Agreed overall but the thing with this particular video is the title IMO. It would be different if it was clearly a LARP'ing vid but the title "Ninjitsu basics vol.2 sword combat" suggests that it's instructional material of some kind or at the very least a demonstration of actual skill which is bound to attract criticism :)

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Agreed overall but the thing with this particular video is the title IMO. It would be different if it was clearly a LARP'ing vid but the title "Ninjitsu basics vol.2 sword combat" suggests that it's instructional material of some kind or at the very least a demonstration of actual skill which is bound to attract criticism :)

Gotta agree with Supra, even though these guys might not be serious, they present it in a manner that seems to imply that they must know would come across as an instructional video. Makes me worry they do think that they are serious...

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I doubt it was meant to be taken seriously. I mean, come on. Still though, I can't tell if they are just anime nuts that like swords or if they were intentionally mocking ninjutsu.

Ashida kim's videos are still worse...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, very very sadly, yes they were serious. Needless to say this person was never allowed to "play" with my weapons before and now they are not allowed to be around me when I am on MartialTalk or looking up MA related material online...

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ugh...

And Kumori Ryu Ninja wondered why people don't have a greater acceptance of those claiming to study ninjutsu...

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sadly, very very sadly, yes they were serious. Needless to say this person was never allowed to "play" with my weapons before and now they are not allowed to be around me when I am on MartialTalk or looking up MA related material online...
That's absolutely amazing! Their instructor has no problems with them looking like idiots on-line? I guess that's just one of the differences from the traditional arts.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Paul, I greatly fear that the "instructor" was one of the ones in the video......
Oh .... I really have no idea what to say to that. :)

Latest Discussions