Ninjas still around today?

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I am just putting this post on cause I love Ninja's!
Ok I am not talking about ninja fighting methods I am talking about the sneaky ness and assassin methods would they still work with all of today technology. I think it is to good cause if we had ninja's still we could have hired them to get Bin Ladden LOL but just my opinion do you think with all this high tech stuff Ninja escapes and surprise will still work with things like cameras alarms and more

Don't get me wrong I love Ninja's and learn about them.

Adam :asian:

Y

yilisifu

Modern ninjas go by several different titles today; SEALS, Airborne Rangers....

T

tonbo

Well said!!!

TallAdam, remember what ninjas were during their time period: they were the special forces, used for reconnaissance and special operations. They were used to do the jobs that required skills above those of the normal fighting man.

Ever seen any spec ops group training? It's pretty darned impressive. The things these guys can do honestly amazes me. My brother spent 8 years as an Army Ranger, and I'll swear to this day that he and other spec ops guys could give any ninja a run for their money.

Yes, Virginia, ninjas do still exist. So do samurai. They just wear different clothes now. Oh, and you can't see the ninja, 'cuz they wouldn't be ninja if you could, now would they? :D

Peace--

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
BUT ! We all know that the ORIGINAL Ninjas had WAY better outfits and gear!!!:boing2:

T

tonbo

Better gear? Well, their knives were a bit longer, but.....

Have you *seen* some of the cool stuff spec ops guys get to use? :eek:

'Course, I gotta admit that the original ninjas had cooler booties....:D

Peace--

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Better gear hell! How does night vision or a Squad Automatic Weapon compare to Blinding Powder or Shuriken. You better watch out! Sho Kushugi is watching.

T

tonbo

Flash-Bang grenade = Blinding powder
Throwing knives = shuriken

But, I do bow humbly. I mean, really!! Master Sho!!

:asian: :asian: :asian: :asian:

I'll say this: spec ops gots cool toys.......but traditional ninja toys have a bit more "romance" to 'em. Guns are just so....impersonal.

:D

Peace--

Y

yilisifu

Yes, but the retirement policy for the original ninjas was pretty crummy.

M

MartialArtist

Like everything said above...

However, one thing is that ninjas were not expert hand-to-hand fighters (which is comparable to the SEALs, Airborne SF, etc.). Yeah, SF get hand-to-hand training, but most aren't experts in that field. The experts in the field got most of their training elsewhere.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ummmm......

TallAdam, remember what ninjas were during their time period: they were the special forces, used for reconnaissance and special operations. They were used to do the jobs that required skills above those of the normal fighting man.

Although there are a few superficial similarities between the feudal ninja and modern Special Ops, there are also many fundamental differences. People in the military generally have a choice as to their careers; the ninja did not, they were born into their 'profession' hoping to protect their families in an unstable time. The Special Ops are agents of the government; the ninja, although allied with the 'government' (such as the Tokugawa shogunate) from time to time, were more like independent groups of semi-vigilantes. Special Ops are under restrictions from national and international laws of warfare; the ninja were not, doing what they had to to protect their families and interests. A Special Ops soldier acts as the tool of his government and is expected to comply with his orders to the letter; ninja had much more freedom in their missions and were themselves expected to rely on things like 'intuition' and 'natural justice' and 'flow', not just follow orders. There is also an underlying 'spiritual' basis to Ninpo practice; there is no such basis in modern military training. Ninja training is also far less 'specialized' than military approaches.

Obviously, they have more differences than they do similarities.

My brother spent 8 years as an Army Ranger, and I'll swear to this day that he and other spec ops guys could give any ninja a run for their money.

It probably depends on the individual.

Yes, Virginia, ninjas do still exist. So do samurai. They just wear different clothes now.

'Ninja' still exist (if we are being flexible here). Samurai do not.

I'll say this: spec ops gots cool toys.......but traditional ninja toys have a bit more "romance" to 'em. Guns are just so....impersonal.

Wouldn't a 'modern' ninja use modern weaponry??

However, one thing is that ninjas were not expert hand-to-hand fighters (which is comparable to the SEALs, Airborne SF, etc.).

:confused: Ninpo Taijutsu, Kosshijutsu, Koppojutsu, Shitojutsu. Ever heard of 'em?? The ninja were pretty damn good at hand-to-hand, definitely a step above the average fighters of their day (which they had to be by necessity).

J

Jill666

I'm an aspiring modern ninja and I use guns.

I also would consider getting shot highly personal.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty funny when it turns into a pissing contest eh?

I would also agree that it depends on the individual. However I would be of the opinion that Ninjutsu as rule is not really a toe to toe art. More clandestine than that more evasionary. Just in my experience and reading. A truly trained Samurai in the frontal confrontation would shred the Shinobi down pretty easily. But this is not the situation the Shinobi would put himself in right, or hope to. This is of course only an opinion and what I was taught.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty funny when it turns into a pissing contest eh?

Yup. :D

However I would be of the opinion that Ninjutsu as rule is not really a toe to toe art.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by 'Ninjutsu'.

More clandestine than that more evasionary.

Sounds like the perfect toe-to-toe art to me.

A truly trained Samurai in the frontal confrontation would shred the Shinobi down pretty easily.

I suppose... if it was a fully armored samurai vs. a shinobi with nothing but his cheap ninja-to. Then again, a little mutodori could quickly change the pace of the battle. Besides ninja, by necessity, had to be capable of defeating several samurai at once to escape from their situation and report their intelligence back to their clan.... which, ironically enough, makes it perfect for modern day self-defense. In any event, ninja would have to have been much better-trained than the average samurai if they had any hope of living a long life (they were rarely armed to the teeth, and rarely had numbers to their advantage).

I also would consider getting shot highly personal.

:D

Y

yilisifu

Ninja specialized is camoflouge, disguise, and concealment for one main reason...not to get caught in a face-to-face confrontation with samurai.

And...samurai DO still exist. If you don't think so, you need to visit Japan.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ninja specialized is camoflouge, disguise, and concealment for one main reason...not to get caught in a face-to-face confrontation with samurai.

That wasn't from a lack of combat ability, it was due to using your brain to think clearly. Why take stupid risks??

Oh, and specialization?? Well... let's look at the one ninjutsu ryuha we know much about: Togakure-ryu. It studies... spiritual refinement, taijutsu, swords, staffs, horsemanship, throwing blades, spears and halberds, chained and corded weaponry, explosives, smoke, and firearms, espionage, strategy, meteorology, geography, stealth and entering techniques, escape and evasion methods, underwater tactics, disguise and impersonations......

Yeah, sounds real specialized to me.

Ahem. Bushi was a social caste. Nothing more. With the Meiji Restoration, that caste ceased to exist.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes that is an excellent example of what a Ninja Cowboy is these days, what a great site. Ugh.

But yet turning into a pretty good discussion.:)

J

Jill666

Originally posted by yilisifu

An interesting statement- can you elaborbate? :asian:

J

Jill666

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Tall Adam 85: Everything you need to know about modern Ninjas can be found on this website: Please do not try the Seppuku method pictured on this site unless you have the proper training. http://www.realultimatepower.net/

Oh, brother- yeah, I've seen this site.

CHAK would be proud.

Latest Discussions