New to Martial Arts

Fr33dmJzzDnc3

White Belt
Reaction score
My name is Kevin, I am looking to start studying a martial art, but I am not really sure which is right for me. I have done some research and was wondering if maybe you all could help me out.

I am looking for something with a good focus on conditioning, I am looking largely to keep myself in shape, but would also like to learn a martial art that is fairly offensive. I would also like to get into something that would have some weapon training to it, preferably some sort of staff fighting.

I am also probably not the most agile person, not that I wouldnt like something to push me to learn to be, but agility and flexibility are not strong points at the moment. Being 6'5", it was never speed that became a focus of mine.

Look forward to getting some advice!!!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're looking for staff fighting? Walk around with a staff much Kevin?

Anyways, most of the styles discussed here are not offensive since we don't go around attacking people with our fists, feet or staffs we just happen to carry around. Rather it leans towards the defensive since we are peaceful people not looking for a chance to whack someone on the head with a large stick.

I learned bo, but that was a couple years into karate. Maybe you might want to check out eskrima, though the sticks are not quite as big for the most part.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk Kevin! There are many styles to explore. Browse the board and ask questions. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Kevin. Check out some of the Okinawan arts. Traditional Okinawan GoJu will teach bo/staff, along with low kicks that are conducive for self defense. Good luck.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Kevin. Check out some of the Okinawan arts. Traditional Okinawan GoJu will teach bo/staff, along with low kicks that are conducive for self defense. Good luck.

Greetings and Welcome to MT..You've gotten some great advice so far...I started in Shorin-Ryu many years ago and loved it...The weapons training didnt come for a few years..As Sensei said, "First learn to control your hands, then learn to control what is put in your hands"..

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite so, gentlemen. In most arts, weapons training comes in a fair way down the road for the very practical reason that, as noted above, a student has to be able to control themselves before they can control a weapon. The exceptions are such arts as Iai or Katori, which are entirely devoted to a weapon or weapons.

Welcome aboard, Kevin :tup:.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Rather than start offering suggestions that turn out not to be available to you in your area, maybe you should look at what's around. Go to several schools, see what they have to offer. Pick a school that seems to offer what you want, that you like the atmosphere and trust the instructor.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

Youtube is a place to start, you can check out some vids of different martial arts to compare if their style of movement suits you. Then you can ask around here about that particular style more. I'm sure some one can point a good teacher or training group near you.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome Kevin. I prefer the smash mouth style of Kajukenbo. (Original method)
Good luck in your search.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unlike mr "Super Cool Know It All Omar" there, I'll address your staff question with a useful not insulting reply.

I've seen some good staff work at a couple of karate schools. Those instructors understood the idea of improvised weaponry and taught how a broom handle or shovel could substitute for the traditional staff. Problem I've seen with a staff is unlike in the movies where it's cool, in real close in fighting it's unwieldy and a hinderance. Look for someplace that teaches short staff or jo for the best of both worlds. Also, the Filipino arts do a lot of single and double stick work that is quite good for close in issues. Regardless of where you end up, you'll probably have to work up to the weapon training though as most reserve that for higher belt ranks once you've learned the empty hand techniques.

Good luck!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Along with The Last Legionary's suggestions -- if it's staff you're looking for, you might want to look at Western Martial Arts -- like the quarterstaff. There's a surprising amount of information available about them today... and you might be surprised to find a training group in your area.

matrixman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kevin, Welcome.
I would assume you're not looking to beat people up, just have an aggressively good time, freestyle with people who grin when they get hit, don't mind a few knocks as long as I learn. My two cents is classical karate, or Arnis. Have fun. Al

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just started Al Tracys style kenpo about 4 mouths ago to try something new and love it. Very well rounded

OP
F

Fr33dmJzzDnc3

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, I guess I need to spend some time talking to people and doing some research! It really has been a big help.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where do you live? Sometimes what we want isn't where we want it, and we need to settle on something else.

Maybe jodo or iaido are what you want.

Everyone secretly wants to train in iaido, but we only let the special ones in our special groups....:)

pmosiun1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My name is Kevin, I am looking to start studying a martial art, but I am not really sure which is right for me. I have done some research and was wondering if maybe you all could help me out.

I am looking for something with a good focus on conditioning, I am looking largely to keep myself in shape, but would also like to learn a martial art that is fairly offensive. I would also like to get into something that would have some weapon training to it, preferably some sort of staff fighting.

I am also probably not the most agile person, not that I wouldnt like something to push me to learn to be, but agility and flexibility are not strong points at the moment. Being 6'5", it was never speed that became a focus of mine.

Look forward to getting some advice!!!

Boxing and regarding weapon, i think something like kendo might be for you. You won't learn how to use a sword but you would learn how to bash someone with a stick.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Kevin, I train in traditional MDK TKD, which can be as "aggressive" as you would like it to be.. . However, we do not focus much on weapons, so it is probably not where you would want to start. That being said, we trace the majority of our roots to Okinawa, and style like Goju-ryu or Shotokan may be a good fit, as they practice many kobudo/weapons.

Latest Discussions