New to Martial Arts

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kevin

If it's conditioning you are after Boxing, Kickboxing, Thai boxing are great, they are also a good mix of offensive & defensive fighting.
Most city's have a club that teach one of these arts.
The only thing is most have no weapons training, some clubs teach a mix of different arts, and styles in one place.
Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The best thing to do is to go around soaking up all the free intro lessons on offer..

If theres no free intro lessons im sure they'll let you watch.

Then you will have a better idea of which one suits your equirements.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Kevin, Most of us here would agree that it's not necessarily the style that is important, it is the instructor. Go check out the schools near you, find one that is well structured and to your liking. If you are looking for a school primarily for fitness, most schools will do. However, if you are looking for self-defense, look for a good TMA (traditional martial art) school over what most of us call the "McDojo's"

Anyway, read around the threads, talk to us all, and we'll all be more than happy to help ;)

Kyosanim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My name is Kevin, I am looking to start studying a martial art, but I am not really sure which is right for me. I have done some research and was wondering if maybe you all could help me out.

I am looking for something with a good focus on conditioning, I am looking largely to keep myself in shape, but would also like to learn a martial art that is fairly offensive. I would also like to get into something that would have some weapon training to it, preferably some sort of staff fighting.

I am also probably not the most agile person, not that I wouldnt like something to push me to learn to be, but agility and flexibility are not strong points at the moment. Being 6'5", it was never speed that became a focus of mine.

Look forward to getting some advice!!!

Hello Kevin I know what you mean about flexibility, and being tall I'm 6'4", but you can do it so do not let it hold you back. I know what you mean by an offensive style. You want a go after your sparring partner not wait for them to come to you. Well I hate to tell you this but tall guys are better at defense , and the speed deficit can be a hard gap to bridge. I have managed throu intense training to make huge speed gains, but as soon as you let off you lose some of it. Same goes for flexibility, but your long reach is a weapon you should not under estimate. Long powerful kicks, and punches with a great reach make for excellent deterrents against attack. If your a hefty guy hard styles like the okinawan ones (I can't spell sorry) are great, but if your the tall slender type they arnt the best. I recommend a soft style that will take advantage of your long limbs. Let me think for a while, and I will make another post about, and let you know what I come up with.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, I guess I need to spend some time talking to people and doing some research! It really has been a big help.

Welcome - hope you'll find an art and stay here!

Do that research and I've no doubt you'll find something. Part of that is stopping in at some local schools, watching their classes, reading their materials, talking with the teachers.