New Student: when will you quit?

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Bill Mattocks, Nov 16, 2011.

1. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Nah, movies are good.

I'm still working on jumping over a mountain though - it must be possible, I saw it on telly...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit Senior Master

No, wait, I want to do that whole "stepping on air as if it were stone" thingie from Bulletproof Monk.

3. pdg

pdg Senior Master

All it takes is practice, inspirational music and guidance from a guy with a long white beard.

4. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    What a great post. Thanks for sharing that, I really enjoyed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    You have to redefine "mountain". Then it gets easy.

6. AngryHobbit

N-uh! I agree about practice and music, but sometimes, it takes guidance from the handsome Chow Yun-Fat in a gorgeous trench coat.
    [​IMG]

7. AngryHobbit

Jokes aside, there is something to be said about music at the dojo. I know some people consider it hokey, but there are certain portions of the practice where great music would really help. Strikes, for example. Or practicing kata.

Of course, I am extremely biased - I wrote my entire Master Thesis listening to Beethoven symphonies and Bach's Brandenburg concerti. And all my other fitness stuff involves music. I love E. S. Posthumus - "Nara" from "Unearthed" would be awesome for strike practice.

8. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Years ago, I was between dojos. Our building was bought and we were out on the street six weeks later. Man, did that suck big time. Thrown out, no dojo, WTF? But that's life, so we trained every single day at the dojos of people we had become friends with. Different dojos, but we never missed a day of training. Turned out to be a wonderful and fun experience, then I opened my own dojo. Which certainly saved me gas money. ;)

Anyway, one of the Kenpo dojos we went to would start with the bow in, and a slight stretch - then the music would go on. Hard pounding, upbeat music over beautiful speakers placed just so. We would warm up doing foot work and throwing techniques to the music, smiling, yelling, kiai-ing, whatever.. Then we would stretch and do class. I always thought, "damn, that was serious fun."

Did the same thing in my dojo after that. Students loved it. It invigorated them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AngryHobbit

That sounds like fun! What sort of music did you use?

I like good instrumentals (like E. S. Posthumus and Escala), but it's also fun at the POUND class, where our instructor always plays something with an awesome beat - like "Uptown Funk" or "We will rock you".

10. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    I've been toying with music lately. I use it often when training by myself - I seem to stay on my training, rather than getting into curriculum planning, when music is going. I trained mostly in formal, traditional dojos, but that doesn't really fit me and the way I teach. Problem is much of my music isn't SFW ("Foo your royal penis is clean" is a phrase that actually played as someone walked in when I was training alone), so I need to collect some appropriate music.

11. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Lol. We used to use We Will Rock You [Bohemian Rhapsody] all the time. As well as Eye of the Tiger, several songs from the movie Beverly Hills Cop, Street Fighting Man by The Stones, Sun City my favorite warm up song - when the students warmed up to that they knew one seriously, nasty hard workout was coming - In and Around the Lake by whoever sang that, some Grand Funk, some others I can't remember that the students brought in.

As for Uptown Funk....oh, man, I wish that had been around back in the day. When I hear that song now, I can't stand still, find it physically impossible. Even if I had a gun to my head, I'm either warming up or dancing, death be damned.

Just got called in to work on my day off. Going to get my stuff together right now [it's only a half shift] and I'm going to put on Uptown Funk right now. And dance and jab my way right into my damn uniform. :) Don't believe me just watch! Hey, hey, hey!

• Like Like x 1
  12. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    That song is infectious. I think I have it on 4 different playlists.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AngryHobbit

We've done Uptown Funk both in zumba and in POUND, and it's fun both ways. Good times!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Michele123

Michele123 Green Belt

I would have frowned at the idea of music before. I’ve always taken MA seriously and the idea of music during MA seemed disrespectful somehow. BUT last week, during warm-ups and agility exercises our instructor had a lot of really upbeat stuff playing. It was great! Actually, I felt like we were part of some MA training montage in a movie. It really pumped up the energy!

The music was turned off once we got into working on actual techniques and stuff, which is good. I think it would be hard to focus on things if music were blasting then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. _Simon_

_Simon_ 2nd Black Belt

Yeah same Michele, I never was a fan of putting music on while training.... until one I did XD. It's really quite fun actually, maybe only during kihon and kumite drills, but can't seem to keep it on for kata... kata is something precious to me that I like to have quiet for haha. And have been known to train to Spem in Alium (a choral piece) when it came on shuffle on my iPod, it was divine :)

16. mrt2

mrt2 Blue Belt

17. gpseymour

• Supporting Member
    My problem with music during kata is that I start following the rhythm of the music, rather than the flow of the movements.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Love it for warm ups, would never have it on in class.

19. kravmaga1

kravmaga1 Yellow Belt

Thanks for sharing this valuable information.