New Student: when will you quit?

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Bill Mattocks, Nov 16, 2011.

1. BigMotor

BigMotor Yellow Belt

People are all the same in ways, and they make the same mistakes all over the world, that is true of all things. In the fighting realm, a lot of people will quit at the outset, because they did not realize that learning to fight involves work.

They think that if they show up, they will just absorb the vibes or something. Then they find out that it is strenuous and painful in many ways.

Then, as time goes by, something dawns on them, if they ever need to use it in defense, they might get seriously hurt. Or, conversely, they may have to hurt someone else.

A lot of people do not think things through, especially martial arts, which is a mystery to most folks. So when they join, and begin it is a real shock to them, that it takes serious effort. And they won't do it, so they quit.

Martial Arts is not for everyone, and it takes a certain fighting attitude to keep going in it.

2. wingchun100

wingchun100 Senior Master

A lot of people like the IDEA of learning martial arts, but not the work it takes to ACTUALLY do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Very much like learning to dance, or play a musical instrument, etc. All take dedication more than skill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pgsmith

pgsmith Master Black Belt

Nope!
    It takes that attitude in order to be a fighter. However, I know people that have been in martial arts for decades that have never been involved in a fight, not even in the dojo! People practice martial arts for a great many different reasons. Learning to fight is only one of those reasons. As Bill said, the most important thing is dedication. You cannot learn if you do not go. If you go regularly, you'll eventually learn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

Yeah, and some of life's circumstances can cause us to refocus our priorities, at least for a while. Having a baby come into your life is a big one. Taking the time to be present in his life as he grows, is worth far more than the training time that I am missing. But it is temporary. Perhaps someday he will ask his old man to teach him.

Being faced with a possible lay-off, and seeing it as an opportunity to go back to school and retrain for something completely different, is another one.

Sometimes priorities need to shift, at least for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigMotor

BigMotor Yellow Belt

"Nope!"
    "It takes that attitude in order to be a fighter. However, I know people that have been in martial arts for decades that have never been involved in a fight, not even in the dojo! People practice martial arts for a great many different reasons. Learning to fight is only one of those reasons. As Bill said, the most important thing is dedication. You cannot learn if you do not go. If you go regularly, you'll eventually learn."

pgsmith

OK, if that is how you see it, that is fine. Unlike the dojo's that haven't been in a fight, I have been. To diminish the fighting aspect is silly, and I hear that elevated all of the time as the highest of goals. The motto should be, "I learn to fight, so that I won't fight." It is an oxymoron to me.
    Do as you like, and I will too. Too many martial artist's treat it as a near-religious thing, but I don't, if it ain't good for fighting, I get rid of it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  7. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

you will quit when you have lost.

or when you have won.

8. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Everyone is a fighter.

9. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Some people study the Japanese tea-making ceremony and don't especially like tea.

It's all valid. Martial arts for fighting, and for other reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Flying Crane

I've been training since 1984. I have never had a real fight. I'm pretty good at talking things down, and when that doesn't work, it doesn't hurt my pride to walk, or even run, away.

And there is nothing even remotely religious about it, for me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Flying Crane

You are far from unique.

I guess I'm trying to understand what your bigger message is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    There are plenty of martial arts that don't have direct modern fight applications - like all the sword arts out there. Those folks are obviously not studying those to get better at modern self-defense. Nothing silly about that, any more than there's anything silly about riding a horse for the joy of riding a horse, rather than using it to travel across long distances.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    C'mon, guys, you all know the bottom line. The reason any of us train is because we love it!

I'm pretty sure we're all crazy.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. ralij

ralij White Belt

Usually I quit because I ran out of money due to job shifts or school or what have you. Keep the training at home, but being far from a dojo makes it difficult to keep proper form and impossible to advance.

15. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I have had a couple of periods where I couldn't get formal training because of money. I still trained any way I could, for as much as I could muster the will for. Sometimes, that was a pathetically small amount. Other times, I was a fiend even away from the dojo. And when I came back, I was always about as good physically and had found some new understandings that improved my technique and fired me up for new learning.

• Like Like x 1
  16. senseiblackbelt

senseiblackbelt Green Belt

what an interesting read.

• Like Like x 1