New Student: when will you quit?

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Bill Mattocks, Nov 16, 2011.

1. kungfu penguin

kungfu penguin Green Belt

when i trained at a school the sifu said half will quit by blue belt of the half remaining about 2/3 will quit by brown belt of the remaining about 20 % percent will quit right before or right after black belt i started with about 22 students in my class only 7 of us tested for black within a year after black there were only 3 of us then i moved away to college so i guess you can say life kicked in i still train, just in different arts

2. kenpo tiger

kenpo tiger Senior Master

bravo!!

3. stone_dragone

stone_dragone Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    My first school and martial home has been open for 24 years. For the first 15 years, conservatively one could say about 200 folks a year started classes, the next 9 years averaged about 75 or so a year starting (due to a new location). Let's just round it down to about 3600 folks. Only 34 folks have made it to shodan. Rounded up, that's 1%. Only 4 of those made it past 3rd Dan, and only 2 made it to Godan (so far).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Monroe

Monroe Purple Belt

I checked out a few schools before I picked one. I wanted to at least try a class before deciding on one. So I might have looked like a quitter because I showed up and did the trial. Only one school did I say I was definitely coming back and I did return after the trial. I've been going since October and I'm really enjoying classes at a place that offers Muay Thai, kickboxing and MMA. I haven't tried MMA there. I haven't seen a single woman show up to that class. I don't want to be the only woman that ever goes. It shouldn't bother me, but it does.

I was uncomfortable with the formalities of the other schools and unfamiliar words for positions being called out that I wasn't even remotely remembering.

I'd bet that the people who say they're going, over the phone but don't show, probably did plan on going. But as the time drew close, they chickened out. Friends who said they were going to come out with me have all chickened out so far. I don't think people are lying. Just failing to follow through.

5. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I agree with you. And I don't mean it to sound judgmental, because I've started lots of things I've never completed, we probably all have; just different things. If MA is not a person's thing, no harm no foul; walk away and go do something that person does find joy and fulfillment in!

On the other hand, I meets lots of people who tell me that they wanted to join the military; but they didn't. They wanted to learn a martial art; but they didn't. I know lots of people who wanted to do lots of things; but they didn't. That's all cool, but in the end, with martial arts, there are those who did; and those who didn't. No disrespect to those that didn't, but they didn't. Kind of sad that they seem to have wanted to but something stopped them. The key to success is not to quit. That's the whole secret.

6. Monroe

Monroe Purple Belt

I had problems with chickening out on things. I found the best thing to do was get a lot of information first. Think about it and decide. Once a decision is made, I don't think about it anymore. Because if I think about it after I've decided, I draw it out too long and then psyche myself out and don't do it. I prefer to fail fast. I don't know until I try. I come up with embarrassing results sometimes, but at least I know I tried.

7. ShotoKHAN

ShotoKHAN White Belt

I personally find it hard to believe people would quit so soon, as in one day, 3 month, or even black belt increments. The way the martial arts are structured, there's always something new to learn. I always had a couple new kicks or new techniques that were waiting for me after receiving belt after belt, as if you feel that accomplishment after receiving the new belt, only to face a new challenge to overcome.

Maybe I'm just weird, but to me, that makes martial arts addicting.

8. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    If you are a member of a dojo for any length of time at all, you'll realize that no matter how hard it is to believe, it happens all the time.

It's been 3 1/2 years since I started training. I'd say our dropout rate is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% for the first 30 days. Since I started, I'm the only one left. Two people have started right after me who are still around; the rest are gone. Our class size never really increases; we only have the hard corps members left. I wish it was different, but there you go.

9. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

I look at school pictures from 5 years ago and only an handful of guys are still left.

10. zDom

zDom Senior Master

Good stuff. I know it's been up for awhile but I just now got around to reading it.

That pretty much sums it up for our dojang except we don't jump rope and we have an additional "quit time": after they buy a uniform.

For some reason, people will try a free class, order and receive a uniform, wear it to one class (huge, unshrunk) and then we will never see them again.

11. luckiest

luckiest White Belt

Same here, I have stopped coming after trials if it wasn't the school for me, then again I usually am vague about whether I will return or not. The last one I tried I was very keen on and showed that but they didn't tell me the prices until after the trial, and then it was a no way. I even called up one recently to ask for some info, and said I'd intend to go for a trial but I haven't made it yet! I have a crazy busy life though.

I quit once when I was young and I was at a pretty good stage, I regret it all the time.

12. malteaser14

malteaser14 Orange Belt

In answer to your question... NEVER!!!

I started training at the end of 2005/06... But only for 3months. I didn't leave through choice, my husband had a job opportunity in a different part of the country, so we moved away for 6months. When we returned home we started a family, so 5yrs and 2 children later I start back! (Aug 2011) I'm completely hooked and will do anything possibly to train 3/4 times a week! I'm definitely a better person because of it too!!

13. Cirdan

Cirdan Senior Master

That is a great post Bill. People come and go all the time, you give us a good picture of the whys.

I`ve been a pre quitter on two occations. The first time I was going to start in Shotokan, but decided to move because of a job offer in another part of the country (I instead took up Wado two years later). The second time I was looking for an art to cross train, I did not really like the Judo demonstration so I went looking elsewhere.

I was a month quitter in Kenjutsu because I decided cross training it with Karate did not work well at my current level.

I have temporarily quit Ju Jitsu to focus on my Karate, it has been 18 months now I hope to return in another six.

My training in Wado Karate has been steady, the thing is to find what you like and keep going.

14. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Master of Arts

I joined a club here in Germany only to leave after 3 weeks because they opened every lesson with 15 minutes of football as a warmup (soccer, for all you US folks). I hate football, both to watch and to play, especially barefoot on wood. If I wanted to play football I would join a football club. I have since found places with more martial focus.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

15. bluewaveschool

bluewaveschool 2nd Black Belt

Since I took over in the summer of 2010, I have exactly 1 student left from the 6 I started with. Since then, we've had well over 100 start and quit. Dad said he must have seen over a thousand start and quit in the 7 years he was head instructor. Dad put this picture up on facebook and I stole it, our class around 2003.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I am back row, black top with grey undershirt. The only student in that picture that made black belt is the woman on the end in the brown belt. Actually, in this picture are the majority of the black belts to come from our school since I made black belt in 1997. The kid and the older man on the end of the back line, the brown belt, and her husband who is on the back line two people left of me in white. Those four, and two others have reached black belt in the last 15 years. A black belt is hard work, and it seems like no one wants to put in the work when it gets hard. Maybe the current generation is just too damn lazy. Maybe we make it too hard at the brown belt level. Maybe people get mad when we tell them they aren't entitled to test when they think they are ready.

16. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Maybe, but that picture is predominantly children, and I don't have an issue with kids not making black belt. Its OK if not earning a black belt is not a kid thing, IMO.

17. bluewaveschool

bluewaveschool 2nd Black Belt

Usually the adults we get are parents taking it with kids, or people taking it for credit at the community college, and we know they aren't sticking around. Comes with the territory of being a YMCA program that's only open to members. We don't have the time slot for an adult only class, and some adults won't train with kids that aren't their own. I currently have 4 mothers taking the class with their kids, and one father. Other adults? Just doesn't happen for us often.

18. celestial_dragon

celestial_dragon Yellow Belt

I think the main reason adults quit is because of the children in the class. Don't get me wrong, kids should train also, but not with adults in the class. Children have a quick mind span, and get bored easily, then they distract the adults. I personally only train in adult classes.

19. Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee Master of Arts

I agree with celestial_dragon. I think I'm seeing this now in my dojo as we are made up mostly of kids at this point. Then again, it seems the kids here have more determination than some of the adults at times.

20. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

That's odd, when I was a little kid, my dad would have me and my brotherwatch the adult classes and see how determined they were, and how much they tried whenever we complained that it was to hard.123