Never done that before

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@skribs, what are you disagreeing with here?

The idea that weapon safety is unimportant. Weapon safety is the first thing you should learn with any weapon, the more true the easier it is to have an accident with them. (For example, a knife or a gun).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You went in with that assumption, and I don't think that assumption ever broke. I feel like this whole time I'm defending that specific statement.
Once you explained there was more than that, I no longer have that assumption. I was explaining why I had that assumption, not saying it was still relevant.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with that method.

This is the point. The line of thinking I had, was with this method.

Now, in this discussion, I've had people tell me the model is bad because axes have an edge. No. You're doing the same thing I was doing, you just came to a different conclusion. You may group things differently than I do - and that's fine. You see them in different ways than I do, you have different experiences with them than I do. That's just human nature that we see things in different ways.

My original point was that I can see the weapons grouped this way. And I specifically chose a broad category for reasons I outlined, with the understanding that there are flaws in those categories, flaws which I could catch if I focus on that specific weapon. It was an off-hand comment about a way of looking at things, which was taken face value as a statement of absolute fact.

Once you explained there was more than that, I no longer have that assumption. I was explaining why I had that assumption, not saying it was still relevant.

But it feels like that assumption still exists, based on the way I'm forced to still defend it.

You should mention the pertinent stuff, especially when the first post suggests that it is all there is to the subject.

The problem here is the same problem we've been discussing - what do I categorize as "relevant" and what do I categorize as "irrelevant"? And how will I know what that is, until someone questions it?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The idea that weapon safety is unimportant. Weapon safety is the first thing you should learn with any weapon, the more true the easier it is to have an accident with them. (For example, a knife or a gun).
I believe we are in agreement. He said if your biggest worry is hurting yourself with the weapon, then you should put it down. I agreed with him. That is a safety issue.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe we are in agreement. He said if your biggest worry is hurting yourself with the weapon, then you should put it down. I agreed with him. That is a safety issue.

I took my "disagree" off of your post. You took a different understanding of his post than I did.

I took it more as a personal shot, in the context of the other posts in this thread.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So people shouldn't train gun safety? People shouldn't learn how to safely handle knives and other weapons? It's okay if you hit yourself with your nunchucks as long as you can also hit the other guy?

Never said anything remotely resembling that. Neither did anyone else.
If you just want to argue with a strawman, you don't need me here. You two have a good time.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Never said anything remotely resembling that. Neither did anyone else.
If you just want to argue with a strawman, you don't need me here. You two have a good time.

That's how I read your post. That I was not worthy of training or teaching how to use weapons, because I think about how to use them safely.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I took my "disagree" off of your post. You took a different understanding of his post than I did.

I took it more as a personal shot, in the context of the other posts in this thread.
Fair enough, and I can’t speak to his intentions.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Turn it around. It still works as a weapon. You just end up using it as a club (which probably falls into his "stick" category). Now turn it back around. You can still use it the same way, it just does some different damage.

So, an axe has some properties that fit into that "stick" category. Some don't, but that's just the kind of ambiguity that comes with most conceptual categorization. So, when training, I can ask, "what is stick-like about this weapon?" It doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the differences.
Lol.

Turn a gun around, and it's a club! So a club is obviously the best way to categorize guns.

Good talk.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're useful if they help someone think things through. They need not be universally acceptable to others (because others may not find them as helpful).
Up until the point you incessantly try to get others to accept said (wacky) categorization, sure.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol.

Turn a gun around, and it's a club! So a club is obviously the best way to categorize guns.

Good talk.
Actually, that's true. You could, in fact, use a gun that way if you didn't have any more ammo. So, yeah, it can be included in the club category, if you like.

It should also be in the projectile (or whatever) category.

See, it just depends whether putting it in that first category is useful for your purpose. If it doesn't help, don't put it there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up until the point you incessantly try to get others to accept said (wacky) categorization, sure.
Well, when you step in with an outright attack, saying something is bananas just because you don't like the ambiguity of it, you should expect folks to respond to that. It's a pretty common reaction I'm sure you've seen before.

So why would you be surprised at the result of your action?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, when you step in with an outright attack, saying something is bananas just because you don't like the ambiguity of it, you should expect folks to respond to that. It's a pretty common reaction I'm sure you've seen before.

So why would you be surprised at the result of your action?
No, at first I just (rightly) dismissed it. The discussion only started when op spasticiy kept insisting.

Sort of like you are doing now.

Go away now laddy, this is stupid, and it's making us both stupid.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, at first I just (rightly) dismissed it. The discussion only started when op spasticiy kept insisting.

And you wonder why I'm on the defensive?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Saw this image, thought of this conversation...

"How Social Media Works:
Me: I prefer mangoes to oranges.
Random Person: So basically what you're saying is that you hate oranges? You also failed to mention pineapples, bananas, and grapefruits. Educate yourself."

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol.

Good talk.

I did actually say they could be used as clubs. I also clarified later I was talking about melee weapons. Which should have been obvious from the categories.

After all, there are two types of people:
  1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets

I also left out Apache Helicopters with Hellfire missiles. I left out ICBMs with nuclear warheads. I left out needles laced with smallpox. I left out attack dogs. There are a lot of things that can be used as weapons I left out. I didn't include what I felt wasn't relevant to the discussion.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you see what you're doing? I'm pointing out something about your behavior, and you now refer to what I'm doing as "spasticiy...insisting". So, because someone disagrees with you, they're being stupid, rather than maybe they just have a different opinion.

You usually are much better than that.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you see what you're doing? I'm pointing out something about your behavior, and you now refer to what I'm doing as "spasticiy...insisting". So, because someone disagrees with you, they're being stupid, rather than maybe they just have a different opinion.

You usually are much better than that.

To be fair, I think he was saying I am being a spaz, not you.

D

Deleted member 34973

Now I remember why I have Martial D on ignore. Lol

Took him off and it is back on.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm intrigued about the variation in spelling of 'axe'.

How much of the US correctly includes the e and why?

Latest Discussions