mma is a made up martial art.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the term "genre" I have no real problem calling it a genre, if that's what you want. It's a misuse of the term, but who cares? I'm not hung up on it as long as I know what you mean when you say it. That said, if you're using "genre" to refer to a unique and distinct style of martial art, I think you're mistaken.

BJJ existed as a martial art before BJJ competition came about, just as Judo, Muay Thai, TKD and Kyokushin Karate did. In all of these cases, the competition continues to shape the martial art, but a martial art it remains as it was prior to the competitive elements.

MMA, unlike BJJ, Judo or TKD, began as a contest and evolved into a sport that was eventually brought together under a unified rule set. While modern MMA was percolating and evolving for a long while prior to 2001, it wasn't until New Jersey drafted the unified rule set and Nevada used these rules to sanction an event that MMA was truly born. There was no "MMA" school prior to the sport of MMA.

Guys, you're welcome to your opinions. But you will never convince me that MMA is, at this point, other than a sport. Comparisons to BJJ or Boxing just don't work. Decades from now, when the training and techniques for MMA have become standardized, and people train exclusively for MMA events in "MMA" gyms, I might change my mind. But we're not there yet.

Yeah I don't disagree, but there has to be some bare bones somewhere, something to take away from from the sport front?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What sort of compitition back ground do you have?

Very little. I originally trained in Melbourne and the fight scene there was a bit restrictive in that you had to be the best of the best to even look at a fight.

The only guy that encourages people to compete is the one I am in now. And i started that at about 35 which is too old for serious competition.

i have done one mma but got bashed and am being coaxed into mabye another one if i can get the time.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So far Ive actually enjoyed this conversation, in the past ive found this to be something like pounding my head into a wall. Looks like were all pretty close to the mark, at this point we might be trying to make a blanket statement about something thats just to complex, idk.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very little. I originally trained in Melbourne and the fight scene there was a bit restrictive in that you had to be the best of the best to even look at a fight.

The only guy that encourages people to compete is the one I am in now. And i started that at about 35 which is too old for serious competition.

i have done one mma but got bashed and am being coaxed into mabye another one if i can get the time.

Then rely on the experience of age. Next bout, just #### him up.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Im almost 40 and if i can do it you can do it, find a good trainer and give it some time.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will do my best means that you are going to take him, right :)

yeah pretty much. Competing means facing the prospect of loosing. I would not be fighting to save an orphanage it would just be for fun.

so long as i do all right loosing is not that bad.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah pretty much. Competing means facing the prospect of loosing. I would not be fighting to save an orphanage it would just be for fun.

so long as i do all right loosing is not that bad.

No Bear, the attitude is that you want to destroy the opponent. Age relies on experience, the signature move comes into play.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear have tournament experience?

In my younger days I did fair bit. These days I'm generally too busy coaching students to compete even in the geriatric fat man class.
Haven't actually fought in a tourney since I was 49 or 50...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what type of tournament? I competed in a "karate" tournament last year and will compete in 3 this year . Mostly forms now but if the competition look right I'll see if the tournament director will let me compete. Yes they do tell me to sit and judge or to walk around and act my age

MMA tournaments NO they say Im to old

D

Deleted member 32980

One word. Agreed.

People call themselves mma fighters to sound cool. Cocky asses

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If I were trying to be cool... an impossible task, but let's pretend... I'd call myself a ninja. Because ninja are way cooler than MMA fighters, and that will always be true.

Maybe instead of MMA fighter or MMA'ist, we can call them cage ninja?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One word. Agreed.

People call themselves mma fighters to sound cool. Cocky asses

I'm just going to throw this out there... but the same sort of thing might be said about someone who claims to be a "kyudo sensei" while using a picture of a western recurve bow as their avatar (rather than a Japanese bow), while claiming to have studied a ridiculous number of arts, but apparently without any formal training. And whose life goal (according to the profile...) appears to be to become a hobo.
Sometimes it does seem that people make claims just to try to sound cool.

So let's clear this up, shall we? How old are you? What art or arts have you actually been trained in, and to what degree?
Reading a book or seeing something in a movie won't be considered training, just so you know. :)

As far as MMA being "made up", I don't think it is any more than ALL arts are "made up". Like any other system, it has evolved over the course of time and builds on the experience of those who practice it. It's not the first time people have combined training from more than one system. It won't be the last. It is undeniably the current fad, much as Muay Thai was a while back, and ninjutsu before that, and, and, and...
I suspect there will always be a competitive venue which is open to pretty much anyone who cares to sign the release forms (that's the soul of the MMA world) but we're already seeing people awarding belt ranks and adopting other aspects of the more traditional arts in the MMA world.