Military strategy and like.

• Thread starter Deleted member 32980
  • Start date

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a enhancer. They were never handicapped.

I'm not sure you actually know what you are talking about here. What do you mean 'handicapped'? Is this some sort of veiled insult aimed at the infantry again?
Oh and I've been in the military too....

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cnida: then if you understood what I meant, and not meaning to be degrading in any matter, why would you bother to bring it up?

Yes, they do work too. There's nothing wrong or lowly in what they do.

And compared to certain spec ops men they are common people. Child's play in training as we'll. I'm talking in comparison of coarse.

And their action figures are cooler right? :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was no war in South Korea in the 80's, and he didn't serve "tours." He was stationed as permpers, likely with 8A.

You have the advantage over me. What are permpers?

There was no war in Korea since the truce in the 50s, however there were hostilities from time to time. For a while, the troops near the DMZ actually got combat pay. I don't know how much hostilities in the late 60s and early 70s, but I was there when the tree was cut in 76, and life was lost. I was also there when the patrol in the DMZ (1980 I think) walked into a minefield that nobody knew was there. There was also an intelligence ship fired on and captured.

I was not along the DMZ there but In Pyongtaek the first time, and in Seoul the next two times. Of course I was there when we announced discovery of the tunnels, but there was never any hostilities associated with them. Most of the time there was nothing going on unsafe or hostile any of the places I was at.

But it just isn't correct to say there were no hostilities (war as you put it).

As to tours, that is the common expression used for time spent overseas by the military, usually expected to mean something about 3 to 6 months or more.

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

According to ballen, it's a "crutch" for some forces to have certain things at Thier disposal.

If anyone here made a dis, it's him.

Making it sound like they are handicapped.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Made a dis" anyone care to elaborate on what that means?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kid speak these days, let me check urbandictionary. com..

ok here:

dis
1.to disrespect some one
2.this
1. she dised u so fuckin bad u turned red
2.dis sh*t is fo sheezy

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear! At least the thing about infantry soldiers is that they can speak their mother tongue properly, write it too. They have education in the forces!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh dear! At least the thing about infantry soldiers is that they can speak their mother tongue properly, write it too. They have education in the forces!

Your mother tongue is just not good enough anymore, ya git to say em kewl words and use da hottest toyz dawg, yo!
chillen_yo-773.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your mother tongue is just not good enough anymore, ya git to say em kewl words and use da hottest toyz dawg, yo!
chillen_yo-773.gif

it's more impressive when you say it because English isn't your first language! Btw I spent yesterday evening watching Norwegian television, it was watching the Northern Lights live, the Norwegian female commentator had the most gorgeous laugh! We saw a little of the lights not a lot but it was nice, liked your ads too! back on Eurosport now watching Biathlon, a fine military sport!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
it's more impressive when you say it because English isn't your first language! Btw I spent yesterday evening watching Norwegian television, it was watching the Northern Lights live, the Norwegian female commentator had the most gorgeous laugh! We saw a little of the lights not a lot but it was nice, liked your ads too! back on Eurosport now watching Biathlon, a fine military sport!

Speaking of Norwegian women they look very cute in "the King`s clothes" don`t they? :D
nils2.jpg

The northern lights typically are strongest in january when it is really cold. This brings back memories of watching them while on maneuver with the CSS Batallion up north for the first time, was pretty cold below -30°C as I recall (still warm inside the tent) and the lights dancing all over the sky.

Here over Tromsø. (According to Norse Paganism the northern lights are actually the eyebrows of the slain giant Yme, whose dead body is the earth, and the eyebrows/aurora borealis was made into a wall protecting us from other giants)
aurora-main_2134879b.jpg

Last edited:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
And speaking of military strategy, Norway`s infantry (those "common men and woman whoose training is child`s play") are extremely mobile with each rifle squad on a BV206 tracked veichle. They will really cross any mountain in any storm to get to where they need to be, visiting generals from the US have flatly refused to believe what they can do until shown. "Ya`ll crossed Blåtind mountain in this weather? That is just not possible son!"

bv_206.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HM King Harald V was the Colonel in Chief of our local regiment, the Green Howards, he used to come to our town (Richmond, North Yorkshire) for parades and regimental dinners. The regiment which is an infantry one was amalgamated into the Yorkshire Regiment but now a battalion, it still retains traditional links with Norway. Each year, all companies in the battalion took part in a competition, consisting of sports and military skills tests, to win the right to be named 'King Harald's Company'. The winning company was given a special flag bearing the King's personal cypher, the Company Sergeant Major is presented with a special pace stick, and all members of the company were permitted to wear a special red badge on the arm of their uniform. The last company to hold the title was B (KH) Coy.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually King Olav V (Harald V`s father) had a good laugh at my sister`s expense once. She was participating in a big cross country skiing race and just as she raced past the king`s pavillion managed to slip falling flat on her face in the snow :D

King_Olav_V1.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA!

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cnida: then if you understood what I meant, and not meaning to be degrading in any matter, why would you bother to bring it up?

Yes, they do work too. There's nothing wrong or lowly in what they do.

And compared to certain spec ops men they are common people. Child's play in training as we'll. I'm talking in comparison of coarse.

To point out to you that however you meant for it to sound, it's disrespectful.

I said something similar about Infantry while I was in AIT and the staff sergeant who had reclassed from Infantry pulled me aside later and told me how what I said was disrespectful, and he explained to me why.

The only thing I said? Somebody asked me during my presentation what particular type of unit I think would be best suited to perform a particular mission, and my answer was "plain infantry".

Just passing that advice along, take it however you want. I wasn't even infantry and I felt I was disrespectful with what I said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I went to BCT (basic combat training), it was ten weeks long and was fairly rigorous. Nothing near what you would go through in RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) or the SF (special forces) course.

All the same it was pretty rigorous, and mine wasn't even a combat MOS. I was an intelligence analyst. More or less it was the same basic training that Infantry went through, thought their's is more aggressive due to the lack of women in combat arms MOS's. ( No jab intended there towards the fairer and in most cases better gender. )

Infantry, however, did not graduate after ten weeks. They typically had OSUT, or one station unit training, where their AIT and basic was combined. AIT for each infantry MOS was generally the same, but different in the realm of their specialty (indirect fire infantryman, anti armor infantry, etc.).

Their training is very advanced and very physical. This "child's play" crap that you speak of? It's the crucible that forms a battle fighter. No special forces soldier I encountered ever proclaimed he was better or more advanced than an infantryman. Just trained to fill a more specified role, something I am sure ballen can agree with, even though he was in a different branch a lot of our mentalities are the same.

Though, our SF guys did tend to get away with a few more regulation infractions than most soldiers, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A crutch doesn't mean they are handicap. It means they rely heavily on something in this case toys and gadgets. I've trained with and against every type of special unit the US military has to offer. I've seen all the fancy toys and tools. I've used most of them. I've played the "bad guys" and "captured" and been "killed" by these guys. And guess what they are just that guys, men, mortal, every day guys no different then the regular old infantry. We have sent marines from my unit to all the same special training classes that these elite guys get. So like I said the only difference is they get to train more and have newer toys but they are no different. Some of the best and brightest men I've ever met severed in the regular old infantry and some have given the ultimate sacrifice in that roll. These guys were amazing highly trained in amazing shape and just all around great guys.

OP
D

Deleted member 32980

Alright. We are getting somewhere. What do u guys think about medical fields relating to military.

Btw happy new year

K50Marine

White Belt
Reaction score
A crutch doesn't mean they are handicap. It means they rely heavily on something in this case toys and gadgets. I've trained with and against every type of special unit the US military has to offer. I've seen all the fancy toys and tools. I've used most of them. I've played the "bad guys" and "captured" and been "killed" by these guys. And guess what they are just that guys, men, mortal, every day guys no different then the regular old infantry. We have sent marines from my unit to all the same special training classes that these elite guys get. So like I said the only difference is they get to train more and have newer toys but they are no different. Some of the best and brightest men I've ever met severed in the regular old infantry and some have given the ultimate sacrifice in that roll. These guys were amazing highly trained in amazing shape and just all around great guys.

I have the same opinion. I was a Marine infantry sergeant 0311 and served 10 years in the Corps and after a big break in service 2 years in the Army National Guard as an MP sergeant (LOL no jokes please. I held the 11B Infantry MOS there too!). People that are not in the military always get all excited when they hear the words "SF, Navy SEAL, Delta,etc." as if everyone else in the military is insignificant. Not to take anything away from the accomplishments of the special operators, but the fact is, it is the grunts (Army and Marine) that take and hold ground in combat and pay the heaviest price. It was grunts who took the beachheads at Tarawa, Normandy, Iwo Jima, Okinawa. It was the grunts that secured Seoul, Hue City, and Fallujah. I was a grunt and I never went to jump or dive school, but I've done pretty much everything else "high speed" you can do as a Marine: fast roping, rappelling, breaching, small boats, riverine ops, desert, jungle, cold weather, urban,explosives and demolitions, trained with all types of weapons system (US and foreign) etc.

Latest Discussions