Military strategy and like.

• Thread starter Deleted member 32980
  • Start date

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the UK the men who are in the SAS have to go through normal infantry training and spend some time in a regiment before they go for selection for the SAS. In the SBS, the men go through the Royal Marine training and spend time in a Commando before trying out. You need all the skills as a so called 'basic' soldier first.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I joined the US Army in 1960, I intended to get into Special Forces (I also planned to be a famous infantry general before I retired :)). At that time, before you could apply, you had to have been in the Army for two years, be an E4 in rank, be airborne qualified, and they preferred you speak at least one foreign language. Military Occupational Specialty was somewhat open as many different specialties were required. Later, after President Kennedy became enamored with them, and Vietnam began to decimate the ranks, you could enlist straight in to Special Forces. I did my time, was airborne, and an E4, with knowledge of Spanish. I then had to take a test, or rather a battery of tests, which I completed successfully. But I came down on orders for Okinawa, and the policy was that you could not volunteer for anything that would get you out of an overseas assignment. While on Okinawa, I decided I did not want to stay in the military, but just days before I would have gotten on a plane to return to the USA, I re-enlisted for the military police MOS (eventually moving on to CID), and stayed in the Army.

I was of no less value to the US Army helping to maintain law, order, and discipline, than the infantryman. But to this day I still think like an Airborne Infantryman. Being an Airborne Infantryman, just like being a Marine; it seems it never leaves you.

I can't comment on Force Recon or SEALS, as I have never been around them. But I know something about Airborne, Delta, Rangers, and Special Forces, having known some of them. They are all special types of units, with special missions. They train to those missions. Airborne, Delta, Rangers, Special Forces, SEALS, and Force Recon, having different missions, have some different training. Doesn't mean anyone' missions are more important in the grand scheme of things.

One thing they all have though, is a will, determination, and belief, that there is nothing that will be allowed to stop them from accomplishing their missions, whatever they may be, or however hard they may be, or whatever hardships they have to endure to accomplish their mission. Someday you may be privileged to learn that, and more privileged to actually have that quality.

Some well led, and high esprit-de-corps "plain" infantry units (Army or Marines) develop the same determinations and reputations, as do other combat units (Engineers, Artillery, and armor).

Nate the foreverman, don't automatically put down infantry or other combat units until you have served in some of the good ones. And remember, combat units have a long tail, which also contributes to missions, and sometimes those in the tail must also become infantrymen.

Someday you may learn. I hope you can stand for it.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions