Mihail Ryabko - playing with knives.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love this guy!

[video]http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=Jqw_yM2sIws&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJqw _yM2sIws&gl=GB[/video

Sorry guys, I've posted from my iPad. I'll post again when I get to my computer! :uhohh:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm guessing its this?

[yt]Jqw_yM2sIws[/yt]

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's common for people to keep pushing the knife like that...I'd be going around to another angle pretty quickly.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's common for people to keep pushing the knife like that...I'd be going around to another angle pretty quickly.
Obviously it's not but Mihail is just playing with the guys. I would love to feel it hands on but some of the things he does are just like the stuff my Aikido teacher can do. I tried to visit Vladimir Vasiliev when I was in Toronto some years back. Unfortunately he has away and none of his people could do the things he does either. :asian:

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Aikido is exactly what I was thinking of as I watched it!
Have a look at the bit that runs from the 20 to 24 second mark, then try to explain it in rational terms. I know exactly what he's doing because I can do the same thing myself. BTW, there is no pressure on the wrist in that takedown. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I meant his arm--if he relaxed that stiff arm. I've done some aikido and recognize the effectiveness, but looking at that particular spot, it seems to me that after initially being unbalanced he makes it worse by still pushing up with the arm.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I meant his arm--if he relaxed that stiff arm. I've done some aikido and recognize the effectiveness, but looking at that particular spot, it seems to me that after initially being unbalanced he makes it worse by still pushing up with the arm.
If he relaxes the arm he falls because that is the only structure he has left. But, as he pushes Mihail is just absorbing, then he falls anyway. But in the clip at that 20 second mark Mihail does something with his other hand and I was wondering if you had seen that anywhere else. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If he thought he was using chi power--please! But I've seen aikidoists use such a motion to get the person to move as they wish from flinching.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If he thought he was using chi power--please! But I've seen aikidoists use such a motion to get the person to move as they wish from flinching.
Whatever! :asian:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he relaxes the arm he falls because that is the only structure he has left. But, as he pushes Mihail is just absorbing, then he falls anyway. But in the clip at that 20 second mark Mihail does something with his other hand and I was wondering if you had seen that anywhere else. :asian:

Hatsumi.

Take that for what it's worth....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen it more than a few times with several instructors and have played on the receiving end. There is a certain timing, sensitivity and movement involved or lack there of but...... here is the kicker it does not work well unless the partner is a student or working with the instructor. It is not an effective form of self defense or protection but..... it is a neat trick, demonstration or drill!

Having said the above that takes nothing away for Mr. Ryabko nor his skills or Systema which is a by all accounts a very effective martial system he has by all accounts great sensitivity. I have seen this in multiple systems by very, very, very skilled practitioners but it is simply not some thing that should make you ohh or awww as it is not something that will work in real life against a determined and resisiting opponent!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please if you train in Systema do not take the above as a negative outlook on the system. I have all the respect in the world for it, the practitioenr's that I personally know in it and of course the head instructor.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen it more than a few times with several instructors and have played on the receiving end. There is a certain timing, sensitivity and movement involved or lack there of but...... here is the kicker it does not work well unless the partner is a student or working with the instructor. It is not an effective form of self defense or protection but..... it is a neat trick, demonstration or drill!

Having said the above that takes nothing away for Mr. Ryabko nor his skills or Systema which is a by all accounts a very effective martial system he has by all accounts great sensitivity. I have seen this in multiple systems by very, very, very skilled practitioners but it is simply not some thing that should make you ohh or awww as it is not something that will work in real life against a determined and resisiting opponent!
So, what you are saying is that if the partner was genuinely trying to resist, that is 'determined and resisting', then that movement would fail? Or, are you saying that the movement would succeed if the partner was a student, even if they were 'determined and resisting', but would fail against an outsider?
:asian:

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Please if you train in Systema do not take the above as a negative outlook on the system. I have all the respect in the world for it, the practitioenr's that I personally know in it and of course the head instructor.
I have limited Systema experience. A couple of my friends are qualified as instructors, but none of the people I have come across can do what Vladamir or, more particularly, Mihail, can do. As a fighting system, I have no doubt as to its effectiveness or reality and I have adopted some of their training into my own. :asian:

Latest Discussions