Mayweather vs McGregor

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kicks wouldn't even be the biggest issue. Takedowns and ground fighting would. That's an area where Mayweather has no experience (so far as I'm aware). I don't know what McGreggor's ground game is like, but I assume he has a decent one. Perhaps kickboxing rules would have been a reasonable middle ground?

Alright! A few more posts from Martial Talk members and we will have a perfect set of rules for an awesome rematch. :) :D :p

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and restomp the groin.

Unlike Bill I do like the Game of Thrones and have just been watching the last episode of the latest series. I will put SPOILER here if anyone watches it but hasn't seen this episode yet.

One character who had been castrated in a previous series and was an self admitted coward, found his courage and was fighting a bigger, tougher guy, he kept getting dropped but carried on getting up, the big tough guy grabbed him and kneed him in the groin again and again, got quite shocked when it had no effect whatsoever when it certainly should have, allowing the smaller by now not cowardly character to head butt then defeat him. It was one of those moments you just have to cheer, that and the death of a nasty little sh1t! :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kicks wouldn't even be the biggest issue. Takedowns and ground fighting would. That's an area where Mayweather has no experience (so far as I'm aware). I don't know what McGreggor's ground game is like, but I assume he has a decent one. Perhaps kickboxing rules would have been a reasonable middle ground?

I guess I was just assuming the gloves would stay on. But you are right, without gloves it would be a whole new ballgame. Maybe the gloves should just stay on, and if either opponent can still grapple, fair dinkum. :p

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hope not lets just move on from all this now and get mcgregor to actually defend a title
i can't see him going back to the ufc and fighting for peanuts, he is for the moment world famous, even my elderly mother knows who he is, thats worth big bucks, maybe a few more big money boxing matches, though this time with a proper boxing trainer

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't see him going back to the ufc and fighting for peanuts, he is for the moment world famous, even my elderly mother knows who he is, thats worth big bucks, maybe a few more big money boxing matches, though this time with a proper boxing trainer
That wouldn't surprise me. He can probably get away with one more reasonably big one, even if he doesn't improve. If he makes a good showing at the next one (even if he loses), he has lots of options.

Of course, with the money he just made, he could also decide to skip the abuse on his body (and brain), and retire altogether.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
More than likely he has to fight in the ufc again I bet they made him sign a contract that he could do the mayweather fight as long as he came back and fought for them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More than likely he has to fight in the ufc again I bet they made him sign a contract that he could do the mayweather fight as long as he came back and fought for them.
Good point. I know nothing of how those organizations typically work. If he goes back to fight UFC, he needs to win if he wants another big boxing paycheck. Otherwise, it's just time to take his approximately-nine-figure earnings and retire.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good point. I know nothing of how those organizations typically work. If he goes back to fight UFC, he needs to win if he wants another big boxing paycheck. Otherwise, it's just time to take his approximately-nine-figure earnings and retire.
I doubt he will defend any title. He's held numerous titles in smaller organisations and never defended them either. Problem is he gets whatever he wants and the rest of the division suffers. They're already doing an interim lightweight title fight since he hasn't defended it nearly a year after winning it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt he will defend any title. He's held numerous titles in smaller organisations and never defended them either. Problem is he gets whatever he wants and the rest of the division suffers. They're already doing an interim lightweight title fight since he hasn't defended it nearly a year after winning it

He's only held two titles, the CW featherweight one which wasn't defended because he went up to lightweight which he also won. The lightweight one wasn't defended because he signed for the UFC Both titles were vacated when he went to the UFC. He hasn't held numerous titles.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Come on now. Don't join the pig pile.

What pig pile?

That is just something I created to start arguments. Or something aparently.

Because I have a monopoly on arguments.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with his journey from boxing to MMA. Was it really that easy to change rules (perhaps, as MMA has fewer restrictions)? And would it really be that easy to change his "automatic" responses in a few months, from what he's spent years teaching himself to do?

My thoughts are based on my own experience. When I spar (in my nomenclature, that doesn't usually include takedowns), I have to fight my automatic tendencies to go for grappling moves when an opening is presented. Granted, I've never really trained myself not to use those openings, and he did have a few months of training for this fight, so it may be an entirely different situation. He's also surrounded by fight coaches and staff who may be quite well equipped to help him build new habits more quickly.

D diciplined fighter really should be able to compete with rules he does not normally compete.

Plenty of MMAers box, kickbox and wrestle without going all schoolyard.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D diciplined fighter really should be able to compete with rules he does not normally compete.

I suppose it just depends how you train. For me, 90% of my training is either grappling or a combination of grappling and strikes. So, when it's time to go pure-strikes, my hands don't listen. If I were going to compete in a strikes-only format, I'd need to train within the rules of whatever the competition is, enough to not keep reaching for grappling moves.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brendan Schaub made a good point.

With the problems the UFC is having, MacGregor has all the leverage on them. He could demand money and a percentage of ownership of the UFC to fight again.

UFC can't force him to fight....they can only stop him from fighting and with this payday he doesn't need the UFC as much as the UFC needs him.

Will be interesting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

They also grapple without striking. And grapplers routinely compete in weird rule sets. Some comps are ibjjf, some are EBI, some allow heel hooks and some don't, etc.

Latest Discussions