Mayweather vs McGregor

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes but I was familiar with Mesi.....he was close to getting a major title fight when the rug got pulled out from under him. He sued multiple times and lost all his suits due to that clause.

Nevada did not suspend Tyson's license they rejected his application for a license. Rejections are not suspensions. the Full Faith and Credit Clause does not require Rejections to me honored....only suspensions (medical or suspensions for failed drug tests)

You would be surprised. Used to be common practice for boxers with questionable health to shop around for licenses.

That wouldn't be a suspension....that would be a rejection of license application....and wouldn't fall under the Full Faith and Credit Clause
Makes sense to me. Thanks.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Except those 100s don't sell pay per views

Miocic---isn't bad but doesn't sell great

Jones---suspended

The Jones fiasco hurt Cormier selling power....and even before he wasn't as accepted because of Jones

Bisping doesn't sell

Woodley can't sell

Ferguson doesn't sell

Holloway doesn't sell

Garbrandt could be a star but he is hurt

Mighty Mouse is probably pound for pound best and doesn't sell.

Macgregor, Rousey, and Jones were the only ones putting up big ppv buys.

Between injuries and failed drug tests the UFC has had some really rotten luck lately.
And who's fault is that they don't sell.they need to promote them better..also saying that garbarant could be big but he's injured..um yeah injuries don't last forever you know and he's already scheduled to fight

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While there's all this 'love' going around for Conor here's something to ponder while people are praising his opponent as the greatest 'eva'. A lot has been said of Conor's out of ring antics, he's been called various things for his comments and his hyping up of the bout which benefitted everyone involved not just him but little has been said about his opponent's character. do people only care about the boxing or does the out of ring demeanour matter as well?
Floyd Mayweather is a terrible human

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While there's all this 'love' going around for Conor here's something to ponder while people are praising his opponent as the greatest 'eva'. A lot has been said of Conor's out of ring antics, he's been called various things for his comments and his hyping up of the bout which benefitted everyone involved not just him but little has been said about his opponent's character. do people only care about the boxing or does the out of ring demeanour matter as well?
This is the first I've heard of any of that - not saying it hasn't been said, I just don't follow sports news, and those reports haven't reached me (though they probably should - an indication of the problem the article talks about). I hear more about MMA fighters, probably because they are closer to most martial artists' experience.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first I've heard of any of that - not saying it hasn't been said, I just don't follow sports news, and those reports haven't reached me (though they probably should - an indication of the problem the article talks about). I hear more about MMA fighters, probably because they are closer to most martial artists' experience.

I probably follow more stories about issues that affect women more than you do, while domestic abuse isn't confined to women being abused it is an issue that seems to be tolerated when it's being done by sports 'stars'. There seems to be a tolerance of these men abusing women because they are valuable to the teams/companies who hold their contracts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another interesting viewpoint (courtesy of Iain Abernethy)

“Too many amateur instructors have forgotten entirely that the purpose of boxing lessons is to teach a fellow to defend himself with his fists; not to point him toward amateur or professional competition with boxing gloves. To a menacing extent the major purpose of fistic instruction has been by-passed by amateur tutors who try to benefit themselves financially, indirectly or directly, by producing punchless performers who can only win amateur or professional bouts on points.” – Jack Dempsy, Championship Fighting, 1950.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
no one will care as long as his promoters keep the information out of the media. when the character goes viral in the media, only then will sponsors care and then the public at large. it has to become a media circus first for the public to notice. like Tiger Woods.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another interesting viewpoint (courtesy of Iain Abernethy)

“Too many amateur instructors have forgotten entirely that the purpose of boxing lessons is to teach a fellow to defend himself with his fists; not to point him toward amateur or professional competition with boxing gloves. To a menacing extent the major purpose of fistic instruction has been by-passed by amateur tutors who try to benefit themselves financially, indirectly or directly, by producing punchless performers who can only win amateur or professional bouts on points.” – Jack Dempsy, Championship Fighting, 1950.
Sounds like the "point fighting" issue we've discussed on here for Karate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no one will care as long as his promoters keep the information out of the media. when the character goes viral in the media, only then will sponsors care and then the public at large. it has to become a media circus first for the public to notice. like Tiger Woods.
Yes. I find it unnerving that Tiger Woods' infidelities cost him more in public image than any of a number of celebrities with histories of violence. Woods' actions were not victimless, but certainly less villainous.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
And who's fault is that they don't sell.they need to promote them better..also saying that garbarant could be big but he's injured..um yeah injuries don't last forever you know and he's already scheduled to fight

they dont sell because they dont sell. the amount of promotion the ufc does has no impact on how people like or dislike someone. it would be like trying to force a cat video to go viral on youtube. you cant predict or pre determine things like that.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. I find it unnerving that Tiger Woods' infidelities cost him more in public image than any of a number of celebrities with histories of violence. Woods' actions were not victimless, but certainly less villainous.

then there is the double standard of the type of celebrity. Led zepplin was notorious for hotel groupies. they were seen as God's but people push aside that they were married with kids. so Tiger gets slammed but if he is a rock star ....well thats just normal ..sex and drugs and rock & roll.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wait. So, Mayweather is despicable, and that excuses Macgregor from saying racist things and generally acting like a moron? Haha.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
they dont sell because they dont sell. the amount of promotion the ufc does has no impact on how people like or dislike someone. it would be like trying to force a cat video to go viral on youtube. you cant predict or pre determine things like that.
It's a well known chicken/egg thing. Does something fail to draw numbers because it wasn't adequately promoted, or does it fail to receive the promotion because it won't draw adequate numbers? Hard to say.

What is well documented is that Mighty Mouse doesn't get any where near the promotion dollars or hype that even a 3rd tier heavyweight would receive. Does that help create and feed a perception that wouldn't otherwise exist or does that simply validate an existing perception?

Same thing happens with movies and all kinds of things. I'm not saying you're wrong. However, the ad business is so advanced now that drumming up interest and influencing how people like or dislike someone is a big part of what they do. They absolutely have influence over these things.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mayweather's troubles with domestic abuse have been pretty well publicized in this area, at least. So, the question is, who is the greater scumbag? The racist or the wife beater? The answer is they're both scumbags.

the real question is, how did the discussion of the fight turn into a discussion about character?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

McGregor AND Mayweather signed a contract and that contract would have contained the clause that said they would hype this match up, sell it and make sure people bought tickets and ppv which it did, that could be classed as cynical or just good business.
A huge fuss was kicked up when Americans thought McGregor was being racist when he said 'boy' to Mayweather. Now we've had this before on MT, a non American I think a brit said that in a post to an American who went ballistic over it. In Ireland and the UK it has no racial overtones, no implications no history in the way that word does in the US, it's used either patronisingly or literally to a boy. The Irish love Conor, and that's what matters to him. Racist? Conor McGregor is a hero

How we use the word 'boy' in the UK.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a well known chicken/egg thing. Does something fail to draw numbers because it wasn't adequately promoted, or does it fail to receive the promotion because it won't draw adequate numbers? Hard to say.

What is well documented is that Mighty Mouse doesn't get any where near the promotion dollars or hype that even a 3rd tier heavyweight would receive. Does that help create and feed a perception that wouldn't otherwise exist or does that simply validate an existing perception?

Same thing happens with movies and all kinds of things. I'm not saying you're wrong. However, the ad business is so advanced now that drumming up interest and influencing how people like or dislike someone is a big part of what they do. They absolutely have influence over these things.

promotion can only take things so far. you dont get as big as Conner by just normal UFC promotions.

look at how big Joe Rogans pod cast is. he is the number 6 on the top 10, i saw a google post that said in one month he had 90,000,000 down loads. i dont see his pod cast promoted all over the place. in some ways Jon Jones drug problems have been his biggest publicity. i remember Dana saying that the public really dosent like Jones, he doesnt get the numbers past fighters were getting. so to get really popular you need to have likability or an "IT" factor.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well yes, but boxing is violence,the fact he uses violence in his personal life won't be,a turn off to people who watch violence as entertainment.
tiger image and marketing was based on his family man image , with out that his sponsors didn't want to be associated with him

You can't,cause FM of hypocrisy, he never pretended to be,anything but what he was

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
McGregor AND Mayweather signed a contract and that contract would have contained the clause that said they would hype this match up, sell it and make sure people bought tickets and ppv which it did, that could be classed as cynical or just good business.
A huge fuss was kicked up when Americans thought McGregor was being racist when he said 'boy' to Mayweather. Now we've had this before on MT, a non American I think a brit said that in a post to an American who went ballistic over it. In Ireland and the UK it has no racial overtones, no implications no history in the way that word does in the US, it's used either patronisingly or literally to a boy. The Irish love Conor, and that's what matters to him. Racist? Conor McGregor is a hero

How we use the word 'boy' in the UK.
just to clarify my opinion. MA_student said that the UFC needs to promote other fighters more. by this i assume he means things like more television adds. marketing is by far more sophisticated. the fighters have to market themselves. you cant just rely on the UFC to give you a face shot on the latest promo card and think your going to be the next Rousey or McGregor.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mayweather's troubles with domestic abuse have been pretty well publicized in this area, at least. So, the question is, who is the greater scumbag? The racist or the wife beater? The answer is they're both scumbags.

the real question is, how did the discussion of the fight turn into a discussion about character?
The characters were the ones fighting.

I agree with the first paragraph.

Latest Discussions